Johnny Gaudreau: 2015/16 expectations?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
Well he is a contender, dunno if he is a "legit" one but that's open to interpretation.

He is a great story and has defied the odds but I wonder how long we go until he becomes over rated and is in the legit Hart discussions on these boards?

If he continues to carry the Flames offense while being amongst the league leaders in scoring, and the Flames sneak into the playoffs, there would be no reason for him not to be mentioned as a Hart candidate.

blankall

Jul 4, 2007
That's the scary part. What are his numbers going to look like when some of the folks on Calgary get there act together?

Most of his time is with a slumping Monahan centering him. If Bennett keeps playing the way he has or Monahan returns to last year's form, he'll have a solid #1 to play with.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
I don't think there's any question that he's a top 10 player in the NHL. If you watch him, he's essentially right there with Seguin, Kane and Taresenko. His IQ is as good as anyone's in the NHL, he's just so smart. His speed and lower body strength is better this year, and he's had a year to adjust to the speed of the NHL and now he's dominating just as he has every other league he's played in. I won't be shocked at all if he finishes top 5 in scoring.

Apotheosis

Mar 27, 2014
Toronto, Ontario
That's the scary part. What are his numbers going to look like when some of the folks on Calgary get there act together?

I'm not going to become overzealous with predictions but it reminds me a lot of Patty Kane. I personally believe only him, Crosby and Ovie are the capable ones to score 100 points in one season in today's NHL. Kane is a different case though, as I still believe he never has had full freedom to score because the system in Chicago is so good. If his coach was someone like Babcock, I think he scores 100. Likewise, Gaudreau is playing lights out without any legitimate support. What happens when he has in form guys playing with him and the rest of the young guys develop? Scary to think about.

Tkachuky

Dec 30, 2009
In the Dome
I don't think there's any question that he's a top 10 player in the NHL. If you watch him, he's essentially right there with Seguin, Kane and Taresenko. His IQ is as good as anyone's in the NHL, he's just so smart. His speed and lower body strength is better this year, and he's had a year to adjust to the speed of the NHL and now he's dominating just as he has every other league he's played in. I won't be shocked at all if he finishes top 5 in scoring.

Idk about top 10 but top 25 more realistic.

Mc5RingsAndABeer

5-14-6-1
May 25, 2011

Um, that's not even close to being true.

He's not a top 10 forward in the NHL, let alone top 10 player.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
Idk about top 10 but top 25 more realistic.

I stand by what I said 100%. The hockey world is not used to thinking of Gaudreau that way, but the fact is that he possesses elite skill and has an elite IQ. I have no problem whatsoever putting him beside the games top players. As this season progresses, more and more people will agree. His game is very Crosby like with how he controls the puck in the offensive zone.

I'm not being a homer, Monahan by comparison is not even a top 15 center, yet. Gaudreau is a top 10 scorer though.

InfinityIggy

Zagidulin's Dad
Jan 30, 2011
Man is it ever fun to read through all the garbage posts at the start of this thread.

Why do people keep doubting this kid? Guess some people like to be wrong over and over again.

Pizza the Hutt

Game 6 Truther
Mar 22, 2012
I'll say 56-60 points. With those possession numbers and with some around him shooting at high percentages it should set him back a little.

It all depends on the Flames new additions.

Just 39 points to go before Gaudreau makes you look like a modern-day Nostradamus.

authentic

Jan 28, 2015
Gaudreau is amazing. He's even smaller than Kane yet he's an elite player. If he had good size and strength he would possibly be just about the best forward in the NHL. His vision and hockey sense is almost unmatched, as well as his ability to consistently pull of highlight reel plays.

Tofveve

Mar 10, 2013
The West
Here was my guess.

Here's mine (as I said a few pages later it was a modest prediction):

75 points.

28 goals 47 assists

It seems more and more like he'll likely be a ppg player at least. I mean honestly he's getting better game by game. Maybe he has a few slumps and still hits 75 though. But if I had to guess now I'd say 85 points - 25 goals, 60 assists.

Tofveve

Mar 10, 2013
The West
Gaudreau is amazing. He's even smaller than Kane yet he's an elite player. If he had good size and strength he would possibly be just about the best forward in the NHL. [B{His vision and hockey sense is almost unmatched[/B], as well as his ability to consistently pull of highlight reel plays.

It's hard not to hype this kid because what we're seeing is magic most nights.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
Seriously, anyone saying he's not close to being a top 10 forward just doesn't watch him play enough.

This week alone he looked more offensively dangerous than both Giroux and Voracek. And I gotta say he looked as good as Sid, Malkin and Kessel last night. Now obviously those guys are superstars and are far more proven, but my point is that we are watching Gaudreau become a star player right before our eyes this year. He's that good IMO and I put him in the same tier with Seguin, Kane and Taresenko.

Mc5RingsAndABeer

5-14-6-1
May 25, 2011
Seriously, anyone saying he's not close to being a top 10 forward just doesn't watch him play enough.

This week alone he looked more offensively dangerous than both Giroux and Voracek. And I gotta say he looked as good as Sid, Malkin and Kessel last night. Now obviously those guys are superstars and are far more proven, but my point is that we are watching Gaudreau become a star player right before our eyes this year. He's that good IMO and I put him in the same tier with Seguin, Kane and Taresenko.

Crosby
Ovechkin
Stamkos
Tavares
Malkin
Benn
Kane (Patrick)
Seguin
Toews

Then these guys are comparable (ignoring some older guys):
Voracek
Tarasenko
Backstrom
Kopitar
Getzlaf
McDavid
Giroux
Kessel
Pacioretty
Hall
MacKinnon
Bergeron

You'd just need to prefer any one player from that second list to push Gaudreau out of the top10.

Lunatik

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 12, 2012
Crosby
Ovechkin
Stamkos
Tavares
Malkin
Benn
Kane (Patrick)
Seguin
Toews

Voracek
Tarasenko
Backstrom
Kopitar
Getzlaf
McDavid
Giroux
Kessel
Pacioretty
Hall
MacKinnon
Bergeron

You'd just need to prefer any one player from that second list to push Gaudreau out of the top10.
he said close to the top 10, even if you put a couple of that second group ahead of him he'd be close to the top 10.

Tofveve

Mar 10, 2013
The West
Crosby
Ovechkin
Stamkos
Tavares
Malkin
Benn
Kane (Patrick)
Seguin
Toews

Voracek
Tarasenko
Backstrom
Kopitar
Getzlaf
McDavid
Giroux
Kessel
Pacioretty
Hall
MacKinnon
Bergeron

I have to be honest, I'd have a hard time choosing anyone from any list over Johnny. He's not only a threat every time he's on the ice, he's generating many 1st rate chances every game. I think the reality is we're all biting out tongues a bit believe it or not.

Of course all of this is subjective and it's still early, but so far it's playing out better than expected.

Johnnybegood13

Jul 11, 2003
Paraphrasing a little as it was a radio interview but this is what Jerry York (BC's coach) had to say about Johnny somewhere around Christmas 2013.

"to be honest nothing he does surprises me anymore, I have coached a lot of players that can score, can set up plays or can break up a scoring chance with a smart defensive play but John does it all and does it at a level only reserved for the elite players. not if but when he turns pro and starts his NHL career he will raise eyebrows threw out the league, he is a special talent...I have no problem saying this."

This was the first time I heard about Johnny's defensive game, he wasn't wrong, Gaudreau goes wizard like a few times a game.

Calgareee

Jun 29, 2015
I've heard a couple NHL coaches say in interviews that he's most dangerous when he doesn't have the puck. He can reverse rushes so fast with a stick lift or stripping someone its rediculous.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad