John Tortorella Named (Part Time) Head Coach Discussion

Striiker

Former Flyers Fan
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
The closest I can give you is him writing an article about how the Flyers should trade Giroux and hand the captaincy and franchise over to "ascending All-Star" Wayne Simmonds. This was 2017. Simmonds was 31 at the time of the piece.

glowing-eye-meme.jpg

Honorary Brazilian Hayes, it is then.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
As far as Torts and the media:

“We’re fine, they need to grow up. Everybody is so thinned skin. This is the first I have heard of this here. I’m not good at it. After games, I am so wrapped up in what went on in the game. I have to go out there and answer the questions. And sometimes I think the media are entitled to everything, and they are not. I will give the media things I feel are pertinent. I try to be respectful and answer the questions. But sometimes I don’t want to talk about certain things. And that is my prerogative…
I want to be as forthright and as transparent as I can be. But sometimes I don’t want to talk about certain situations. It may not help my team. Stuff like this goes on where people aren’t happy that I am not giving them enough time. I am trying do the best job I can. And I think I have been very transparent.”

“Kevin Hayes is our top offensive player. Since TK has been out he has carried a lot of the load. Struggles defensively. I have put him on the wing. We have tried to correct some of his problems as a center iceman, and his play down low. Which encompasses quite a bit. There is a lot of work to be done there. We have tried to correct it. Haven’t. We still haven’t found our way there. So we put him on the wing to take some pressure off of him in that part of his game. So he can concentrate more on the offensive game. Which we desperately need because we just struggle to score goals.”

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
Oof.

It's agonizing to watch how often opposing teams will move the puck away from the low boards and the Flyers will cease pursuit for a bit, settle into a shell around the slot/dots, and wait to try and block shots. Which works when teams want to take perimeter shots. It fails completely when they just skate the puck through the stalled formation to take great quality shots.

At least they aren't usually going full Tortorella Rangers and living in that shell for whole cycles, and they'll resume pressure after a bit. But it's noticeable. And very exploitable.

Reactions: Striiker

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Guess what team leads the league in blocked shots.

The Flyers problem since the team settled down hasn't been teams outshooting them on a regular basis, it's teams out finishing them . And that's more of an issue of talent and experience than scheme.

If you watch the games, the most frustrating thing is how they just fail to connect again and again on potential scoring chances, close but no cigar should be the mantra this season.

5x5 they're right in the middle of the pack on most metrics, which is the best you could expect given their relative lack of talent.
They're basically rolling 3 lines which are bottom 2nd/top 3rd or so.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Actually, that's good.

B/c Torts has been clear about the need to rebuild and add top talent, that they're not good enough to compete with the top teams.
He's got about all you could hope to get out of the current players.

And since Torts gives honest answers, you know when Fletcher tries to soft pedal any talk of rebuilding by saying they're just a couple players away, Torts will call out his bullshit when asked if the team is a player or two away.

So the more the team makes Torts the face of the franchise, the harder it will be to disguise the obvious.
And if the fan base sides with Torts, Fletcher will soon be history.

I mean would you rather than Torts/Briere or Fletcher/Clarke/Lombardi controlling the future of this team?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad