Tribute John Tavares Discussion Thread

TVs Frank

Feb 4, 2020
We should never have signed him. The fact that other teams would have paid Tavares what we are paying or more is irrelevant. We are are supposed to be paying him his $11 cap hit for what he is doing right now on our team, not for what he did in the past on another team. Right now he is a 70 point a season player who is ranked 50th in clutch goals and 20th in fo% amongst NHL centers who took 100+ face-offs. He throws fewer hits than almost anyone on Toronto and ranks 10th on the team in blocked shots.
And yeah Crosby earns more and produces less, but at least he is being paid by Pittsburgh for past things he did in Pittsburgh, like win a couple of Stanley cups.
And absolutely we can put some of the blame for this mediocre season and our embarrassing losses on Tavares’ shoulders. He is paid the big bucks to be a leader and I ask you, please show me a stat on our team where he has truly shown not just leadership, but the kind of leadership that justifies being one the highest paid players in the NHL.

Last edited:

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
We should never have signed him. The fact that other teams would have paid Tavares what we are paying or more is irrelevant. We are are supposed to be paying him his $11 cap hit for what he is doing right now on our team, not for what he did in the past on another team. Right now he is a 70 point a season player who is ranked 50th in clutch goals and 20th in fo% amongst NHL centers who took 100+ face-offs. He throws fewer hits than almost anyone on Toronto and ranks 10th on the team in blocked shots.
And yeah Crosby earns more and produces less, but at least he is being paid by Pittsburgh for past things he did in Pittsburgh, like win a couple of Stanley cups.
And absolutely we can put some of the blame for this mediocre season and our embarrassing losses on Tavares’ shoulders. He is paid the big bucks to be a leader and I ask you, please show me a stat on our team where he has truly shown not just leadership, but the kind of leadership that justifies being one the highest paid players in the NHL.
Tavares missed 7 games earlier this season when he broke his finger after a shot was blocked with his hand, so that's the reason his stats have been down compared to last season.

However after he returned he did score these three game winning goals in overtime and it's funny how fast people forget about things like this.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
A) Gilmour, Clark and Sundin were all more "inspirational leaders" who were gritty and heart and soul players. Tavares is quiet and isn't a "rah rah" type of guy who will go out and throw a big hit to wake the team up.
So when Tavares spoke up and said these comments after Sheldon Keefe's first win as the Leafs coach it wasn't inspirational from him even though he's the captain?

6ix

HitEmWit4LikeAustonM
Nov 26, 2014
This is hyperbole. Tavares was never that type of player throughout his career, and it's unfair to criticize him for it now.

He has imposed his will in games many times - not with big hits, but on the scoreboard and battling in the corners. He also never takes a shift off, which is more than I can say for many of our players.

What does “take a shift off” even mean anymore? I’ve seen him lose so many puck battles, turnovers , and getting beat defensively by not keeping up way too many times. He doesn’t affect the game/dominate enough for how much he’s being paid.

Reactions: Twowingcantfly

TVs Frank

Feb 4, 2020
Tavares missed 7 games earlier this season when he broke his finger after a shot was blocked with his hand, so that's the reason his stats have been down compared to last season.

However after he returned he did score these three game winning goals in overtime and it's funny how fast people forget about things like this.
So, that’s $4 million a goal? He has 4 goals this year that could be considered clutch, 3 of which you mention here. And taking into account the 7 games he missed, his p/pg still has him ranked down at 38th. Again, he is one of the highest paid players in the league and we are paying him for past production on another team.

Last edited:
Reactions: Twowingcantfly

Cotton

May 13, 2013
What does “take a shift off” even mean anymore? I’ve seen him lose so many puck battles, turnovers , and getting beat defensively by not keeping up way too many times. He doesn’t affect the game/dominate enough for how much he’s being paid.

Ditto Marner and Nylander, infact PK'ing is only time Marner seems to put in any effort. So why isolate JT, atleast he doesn't have a penchant for peeling off to the bench when he loses the puck like the previous two.

I mean, he's p/pg since arriving and leads our team in game winners the past two seasons with 12, is the not having an affect on the game? For reference, Auston has 9, Will 7, Mitch 5.

Hugh Jass

Dec 23, 2019
The team is a disaster, so I guess that makes him the leader of a disaster. You honestly believe it’s a coincidence the islanders turned it around once he left and Toronto started trending downwards ?
I think Trotz had a lot to do with that...guy just wins.
Lots of credit to the isles though, not sure how they stay in the race with that roster. Everyone buys in i guess.

Hugh Jass

Dec 23, 2019
I might be totally wrong but this team wasn’t ready to get rid of their older leadership of Hainsey, Bozak, Kadri and the list goes on.
I wish Hainsey was still here.
I feel we got too young to quick and the team isn’t ready for the leadership that was thrust onto them.

We are more comparable to the Caps than the Penguins in that it’ll take a few years before we become a true contender and these kids mature.

I can’t blame 20 year olds for not being leaders yet. Tavares is a leader but he’s not the type to hold people accountable. He’s a leader by example type.

Wrong?

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Doesn't feel like hes a captain

Last year he was 10 times more intense.

I guess priorities shift when you have a kid.
Tavares has always been a creature of routine and habit. One of the reasons he really didn't like the Barclays/Nassau set-up. Adapting to having a kid is always going to make that difficult.

Crosby is another guy like that. But, he's actually superstitious/crazy enough to hold off on getting married and having kids because it might mess with his competitive edge.

Last edited:
Reactions: LeafsNation75

LeafsOHLRangers98

Jun 13, 2017
Only in Toronto would people be shitting on the franchise center who took less to play here.

Its why this fan base doesnt deserve shit. Ungrateful.
Agreed. For example, only 3 centers in the last 30 years have put up back to back seasons of 70+ points for the Maple Leafs. Those 3 players? Matthews, Sundin, Gilmour.

Tavares is on pace to do that with 70 this year.

How quickly we forget the year P.A. Parenteau led the team with 45 points.. We're spoiled with 4 elite talents up front so naturally we pick away at them.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Tavares game can sometimes be described as a high end grinder, and I serious wonder if he couldn’t be better night to night if he just took Zach Hyman’s example. There are some nights when he seems checked out and can’t even handle the puck.

Reactions: TopCheese

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Tavares game can sometimes be described as a high end grinder, and I serious wonder if he couldn’t be better night to night if he just took Zach Hyman’s example. There are some nights when he seems checked out and can’t even handle the puck.
I wouldn't be surprised at all to find out his finger is still bothering him.

Reactions: al secord and kb

Hitemwith4

Jul 1, 2019
Leafs went just as far with Tavares as when we had Bozak says alot about this team and his impact. And Tavares is not a captain this team always acts the same, good for one game, shit the next and maybe thats the youth of the team but a real Captain should be able to motive guys or least call these guys out. Leafs need a leader like Kyle Lowry. Lowry isnt the most skill guy or the most talented guy on the Raptors but god dam hes the leader of that team and heart of the Raptors.

Im in the camp of fans that open to trade anyone for the right deal expect Matthews. And if Tavares gets traded (unlikely) leafs can keep Marner and find him a more of second line center to play with (through FA most likely) And hopefully a first D pairing partner for Rielly through a trade of course

Reactions: DALLER66

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad