Salary Cap: Joey Veleno Elects Arbitration

Vector Cereal

Jan 30, 2020
Wouldn’t surprise me if this is by design to enable the Wings to open the second buyout window.
Agreed. I wonder if they decided on this after landing Talbot. Keep Husso if you miss on your short list of FA goalies, but in this case buy him out after arbitration

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
a low cap hit player
Yes. Yes he is.

with his skill set.
cant-complain-about-5a6b3a.jpg

Reactions: RabidBadger

Snuggs

Jun 24, 2018
He's in a weird situation, I'd go to arbitration as well. They'd likely see his value more fairly than the Red Wings/Yzerman who want to sign him under 2 million easy and he's prolyl asking between 2-2.5 million.

Hope he gets paid then moved TBH. I don't really like Joe Veleno, a "meh" player, imo.

Can go in UFA and sign Sam Steel or someone else like that cheaper than 2mill/year.

Reactions: ColdToiletSeats

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
He's in a weird situation, I'd go to arbitration as well. They'd likely see his value more fairly than the Red Wings/Yzerman who want to sign him under 2 million easy and he's prolyl asking between 2-2.5 million.

Hope he gets paid then moved TBH. I don't really like Joe Veleno, a "meh" player, imo.

Can go in UFA and sign Sam Steel or someone else like that cheaper than 2mill/year.

If we're signing another forward I'd still see what Clutterbuck is looking for. Another high energy lower line PK guy who throws his body around like crazy.

Reactions: Snuggs

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
I think Veleno is worth a one year deal @ 1.5m only and force him to prove he is worth more..

I agree but....

The issue is that Raz, Copp, and Fabbri are making a lot more money while only producing 5 pts more last season. Raz is making $100k per point, Joey will be making half of that at $1.5M. Arbitration for forwards is mostly based on points.

If Joey gets more than $2M in arbitration, he runs the risk of not getting a QO next summer. It becomes cheaper to find an UFA at that point.

Reactions: LongTimeDRWF

Dotter

THE ATHLETIC IS GARBAGE
Jul 2, 2014
Imprisonment, TN
goo.gl
I'm willing to bet better players will be waived by the start of the season. Trade Veleno and pick up a waived player. Or move Ra's back to center and play Mazur on wing

Reactions: FMichael

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad