Player Discussion Joel Armia turnaround year?

dackelljuneaubulis02

Oct 13, 2012
Im starting to think the actual problem is that most people on this board live in a bubble and are not exposed to other 96% of the NHL. It is baffling me how ill informed a lot of people are, I thought its pretty obvious that Lekhonen and Armia are nowhere near top 6 talent, but here we are. Then theres those dude that are telling me that Danault is as good as Tavares, Backstrom, Bergeron, Barzal, Mackinnon and the likes.

Im just trying to pierce the bubble.

Putting Lehkonen and Armia on the same level was your first problem.

Armia's doing very well. Using him as an example just doesn't really work the way you want it. Lehkonen? Absolutely.

Yes your satire needs work when trying to combat these narratives. Trying to convince people that Armia and Danault are 'nowhere near' top 6 talent is just kind of pointless. They're pretty close at worst. They're not 'nowhere near' lol. Come on, man. I get it you're trying to raise people's standards of evaluating talent but you don't do it with your level of hyperbole.

Reactions: Habs Icing

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Putting Lehkonen and Armia on the same level was your first problem.

Armia's doing very well. Using him as an example just doesn't really work the way you want it. Lehkonen? Absolutely.

Yes your satire needs work when trying to combat these narratives. Trying to convince people that Armia and Danault are 'nowhere near' top 6 talent is just kind of pointless. They're pretty close at worst. They're not 'nowhere near' lol. Come on, man. I get it you're trying to raise people's standards of evaluating talent but you don't do it with your level of hyperbole.

What puts Lekhonen so far away from Armia? A goal or two?

Reactions: KotkaSpicy

dackelljuneaubulis02

Oct 13, 2012
What puts Lekhonen so far away from Armia? A goal or two?

lol he's literally doubling him in goals in 2 less games. Roughly pacing for 30.

Nowhere near a top 6 is a 4th liner or barely a 3rd liner. Dude. Come on. Maybe he doesn't hit 30 but it's not like he didn't have upside when drafted. The guy's getting more of a chance and so far he's making good. Who knows how he ends up but again you're being hyperbolic.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
lol he's literally doubling him in goals in 2 less games. Roughly pacing for 30.

Nowhere near a top 6 is a 4th liner or barely a 3rd liner. Dude. Come on. Maybe he doesn't hit 30 but it's not like he didn't have upside when drafted. The guy's getting more of a chance and so far he's making good. Who knows how he ends up but again you're being hyperbolic.
Armia never even put up more than 29, I mean, it might be premature to call him a top line winger, don't you think?

Reactions: MasterD and jaffy27

Gyfu

May 16, 2011
Lidstrom did 60 points +36 as a 21 years old and was already one of the best dman in the league. It just took time for the dinosaurs to accept an European dman could be one of the best.
I agree completely it was not a good example, my bad, but the general idea that "what you see is what you get" out of a player in his 20ies is a bit short sighted or impatient would be a better term... Also agree about the dinosaur mentality point you made

Frozenice

No Reverse Gear
Jan 1, 2010
Armia never even put up more than 29, I mean, it might be premature to call him a top line winger, don't you think?
As long as Gallagher is here Armia won’t be a top line winger, so you’re making a false argument about something that wasn’t said.

Explain Kassian, then, or an ECHL player like Alex Burrows. Your arguments makes no sense in the real world.

Habs Icing

Formerly Onice
Jan 17, 2004
Montreal
Lehkonen will be Top 9 next year, almost as a lock. I agree with Caufield replacing Weal but I can’t see them bringing in a top prospect to play minimal even strength minutes and being here for injury replacement.

I see Domi as a centre and Armia and Suzuki battling for 2nd and 3rd line roles, not necessarily who is better but who has better chemistry with whom. I see Lehkonen as our 3rd line centre long term, not in the upcoming year but when things settle out (unless we draft Byfield or something like that).
:huh:

Did you mean KK?

Habs Icing

Formerly Onice
Jan 17, 2004
Montreal
no it isn't but it's certainly 2nd line production. Making a sarcastic comment about Armia being a 1st liner when he's producing like a 2nd liner, again doesn't really make the sarcasm sting that much lol.
Well, it's a strawman that Mrb1p has to build so he can get some sleep. He doesn't count sheep. He builds strawmen.

Last edited:

TheBuriedHab

Jan 27, 2010
Hopefully hes not out for long. Hes super important to this team right now. Brings a dimension that no other forward does at the moment and hes playing the best hockey of his career. Remember when people were saying that KK was being held down by playing with Armia? The hot takes here are so delicious.

Reactions: angusyoung

Frozenice

No Reverse Gear
Jan 1, 2010
:huh:

Did you mean KK?
I was referring to a previous post that stated a poster here didn’t know what an NHL 1st line winger was, I was giving examples of players less skilled then Armia, there’s plenty more, btw, like a lot of Crosby’s wingers over the years.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Check out the stats when he’s out. Let’s cross all of our fingers together.

Last year he and Byron went down at the same time. We had 10 top 9 forwards. When they both went down at the same time, we had Agostino playing on the 3rd line! The problem may have been more both of them going down simultaneously and the effect that had on the team.

angusyoung

Tiki-Taki time soon.
Aug 17, 2014
Heirendaar
Is no news good news that Armia is ready to go? Would think by now they know what is wrong,if anything. Important games looming and he would be sorely missed. Can't imagine any decent call up to replace his contributions.

azcanuck

Jan 14, 2014
chandler az
He's trending towards a top 6 type winger. If you watch the games this year you see a guy now confident taking it to the net and using his size better.
But you keep hanging on to old narratives.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Is no news good news that Armia is ready to go? Would think by now they know what is wrong,if anything. Important games looming and he would be sorely missed. Can't imagine any decent call up to replace his contributions.

The silver lining would be Poehling getting an opportunity with Domi and Lehkonen. Vejdemo would slot into the 4th line, which wouldn't get much ice time.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
He's trending towards a top 6 type winger. If you watch the games this year you see a guy now confident taking it to the net and using his size better.
But you keep hanging on to old narratives.
I clearly see a guy that has confidence, right now. I usually scratch it up to a lucky streak when his PDO and shooting is the highest its been in his career. If he keeps it up, its perfect, but its unlikely.

DangerDave

Mete's Shot
Feb 8, 2015
T.O
I clearly see a guy that has confidence, right now. I usually scratch it up to a lucky streak when his PDO and shooting is the highest its been in his career. If he keeps it up, its perfect, but its unlikely.
A lot comes down to how a player is deployed as well. Armia is playing with a guy who can find him in the dangerous areas of the ice and that allows Armia to use his best offensive tool.

Maybe he's not the clear cut top 6 player that drives the play and is the catalyst but under the right circumstances, he absolutely performs like a top 6 W. The shooting percentage is up but theirs no denying that shot is absolutely lethal. Domi also needs a guy that can forecheck and nobody in the league is better at that than Armia.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
A lot comes down to how a player is deployed as well. Armia is playing with a guy who can find him in the dangerous areas of the ice and that allows Armia to use his best offensive tool.

Maybe he's not the clear cut top 6 player that drives the play and is the catalyst but under the right circumstances, he absolutely performs like a top 6 W. The shooting percentage is up but theirs no denying that shot is absolutely lethal. Domi also needs a guy that can forecheck and nobody in the league is better at that than Armia.
You aren't wrong, per say. I just choose to be wary of a player that is seemingly playing above his head out of nowhere at the age of 27.

Theres a lot of factors that play into it, he's playing with Domi, he's getting a lot of offensive starts, he's getting a lot of luck. I mean, his shot was deadly last year and the five other seasons of his career, but it now just started going in, you have to admit that its suspect at best.

Im also unsure hes that great as a forechecker, he's certainly not better than Lekhonen. He is however, one of the best player in board battles and Im certain thats what you meant.

azcanuck

Jan 14, 2014
chandler az
You aren't wrong, per say. I just choose to be wary of a player that is seemingly playing above his head out of nowhere at the age of 27.

Theres a lot of factors that play into it, he's playing with Domi, he's getting a lot of offensive starts, he's getting a lot of luck. I mean, his shot was deadly last year and the five other seasons of his career, but it now just started going in, you have to admit that its suspect at best.

Im also unsure hes that great as a forechecker, he's certainly not better than Lekhonen. He is however, one of the best player in board battles and Im certain thats what you meant.
Playing with Domi , who's been struggling most of the year. Often it's Armia who carries the play. Luck? Highly subjective opinion and very baseless.

His goals are the result of a power move out of the corner or stealing a puck from a defender or positioning himself in the slot for his best shot on the team release. These are all him. He seems to have found himself. Can he keep it up or be consistent? Well that's always the mark of a better player for sure.

Reactions: HKbleu

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad