Joe Thornton appreciation thread

tiburon12

Jul 18, 2009
I hope the Sharks put out a few highlight packages especially from the 2005 to 2008 seasons. Everything available on YouTube, of which there is little, is potato quality and misses some of his greatest moments

Reactions: ThorTron

sjsharks92

Shark Tank Commander
Jun 9, 2014
Bay Area, California
I'll never forget when he got traded to us. Of course at the time I never could've foreseen how much he'd mean to this franchise but I can't believe this day has come.

Thank you for the best years of your life, Joe. Best of luck wherever the rest of life takes you.

Alwalys

Phu m.
May 19, 2010
I don't know if I'm in denial or if I'd already moved on. Jumbo has been my favorite Shark since he arrived but the last few years have been rough. This should be devastating news but I'm almost indifferent. The writing was on the wall, at this time he does really only hold this team back.

I was hoping with the extra recovery time he'd have a 2016esque season but there's no way he centers Hertl again on this team. We can't spare the talent to load up a line like that.

Maybe I'm just so confident he'll be back in some capacity that it doesn't really feel like the end of anything. Or maybe the end already came and went.

Good luck to the big man and here's hoping it all works out somehow.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ginger Papa

tealzamboni

Mar 3, 2007
Joe was the pick we deserved in '97, but not the one we needed from 1997 - 2005 and 2020 to present.
Coincidentally, Marleau's break in tenures has ensured that he's not playing long enough to become the villain.

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
full

"I say, it appears that my tenure with the squadron that has constituted the vast majority of my participative epoch as a purveyor of remunerated ice hockey performance has reached its conclusion. At this juncture I find that words fail to adequately convey the sense of discontent that this finality represents and as such I have no prepared confabulations that can succinctly and with all due reverence express both my dispiritedness as well as my heartfelt gratitude to all those who were party to the exceptional experience that was the most recent decade and a half. However, my choice is made, the die is cast, and my time has ended. A deed once done cannot be undone. Would you have anything to add on this most momentous occasion, my loyal compatriot?"

full

"In fact, sir, I do.

If we shadows have offended, Think but this, and all is mended, That you have but slumber'd here While these visions did appear. And this weak and idle theme, No more yielding but a dream, Gentles, do not reprehend: if you pardon, we will mend: And, as I am an honest Rooster, If we have unearned luck Now to 'scape the serpent's tongue, We will make amends ere long; Else the Rooster a liar call; So, good night unto you all. Give me your hands, if we be friends, And Lord Passington shall restore amends.

And to your grief at this time of transition, I echo: Indubitably, sir. Indubitably."

full

"And to all those who remain, tell my tale to those who ask. Tell it truly, the ill deeds along with the good, and let me judged accordingly. The rest... is silence. Mmmyes, indeed."

------------------------

Man, it sucked writing that more than I thought it would. :laugh::cry:

And bonus points to those who get the references. One of which is exactly what you think it is, while the others are originally based on what you think they are but what I used are the 'inspired by' versions that are actually something completely different.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad