Joe Thornton appreciation thread

jarr92

May 7, 2013
Really shows how bad our forward core is when Thornton and pavelski flourish after leaving it. We literally have zero gamebreakers in the position just a ton of complementary players who can't drive their own line. Hertl used to be that but he hasnt shown it and he was never in the class of a guy like Mathews or marner.

Pavelski had 31 points last year.

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA

I think a few people are bringing the whole Pavs arguments back because of how well he has started this year. He has 17 points in 12 games. But 11 of those points are on the PP. He has 7 PPG. The entire Sharks team has only 8.

He is on a better team and works fine as a complimentary player there. I do think the Sharks team may have been different under Pavs because of leadership/locker room issues but I doubt he would be lighting it up here.

Levie

Mar 15, 2011
I think a few people are bringing the whole Pavs arguments back because of how well he has started this year. He has 17 points in 12 games. But 11 of those points are on the PP. He has 7 PPG. The entire Sharks team has only 8.

He is on a better team and works fine as a complimentary player there. I do think the Sharks team may have been different under Pavs because of leadership/locker room issues but I doubt he would be lighting it up here.
I mean this is my point... pavs isn't able to drive his own production anymore and is benefitting from playing with better forwards than the sharks have.
He also made the Stanley cup final and is over 1 ppt this season. He took some time to adjust into his new role but he is absolutely benefiting from playing with a more talented team. (This does not mean I think his contract is good or that I think he would make the sharks a playoff team)

Reactions: Pavelski2112

Coily

Gettin' Jiggy with it
Oct 8, 2008
Redlands
I mean this is my point... pavs isn't able to drive his own production anymore and is benefitting from playing with better forwards than the sharks have.
Dallas also has defensemen that either shoot the puck on goal or actually shoot the puck on the PP.

Meanwhile, here in SJ our D just pass to each other for Burns to take a one-timer that goes 19ft wide...

Reactions: BigDmitriy

NWSharkie

Nov 4, 2018
PNW
Dallas also has defensemen that either shoot the puck on goal or actually shoot the puck on the PP.

Meanwhile, here in SJ our D just pass to each other for Burns to take a one-timer that goes 19ft wide...
That's not fair!

...sometimes he shoots it into the defenders' shinpads :sarcasm:

WTFetus

Marlov
Mar 12, 2009
San Francisco
Looks like his Los Gatos house is on the market. Pretty sure he'd still have at least 1 other home in the bay, but could bring some skepticism in a possible return.

Anomie2029

Oct 10, 2013
Melbourne, Australia
Lol thornton just scared ehlers so bad the other night he is now done for the season.

He broke a stick cross-checking him, got a new stick, came back and cross-checked him against.
He also got fined for a blindside hit, sorry "interference", on Perreault the game before. He is enjoying not being DoPS' bitch this season.

Barrie22

Shark fan in hiding
Aug 11, 2009
ontario
I thought it was a foregone conclusion he was going to live in Switzerland for a bit?

A bit? It is where he lives all offseason every single year for the past 15 years.

It will be where he lives full time if he ever decides to retire from hockey, still say his end to his nhl career will not be the end of his career.

tiburon12

Jul 18, 2009
A bit? It is where he lives all offseason every single year for the past 15 years.

It will be where he lives full time if he ever decides to retire from hockey, still say his end to his nhl career will not be the end of his career.
for sure. That's why im confused why people are making a deal about him selling his California home. Makes total sense to me

WTFetus

Marlov
Mar 12, 2009
San Francisco
for sure. That's why im confused why people are making a deal about him selling his California home. Makes total sense to me

Switzerland doesn't really have anything to do with it considering the point was that selling his house could add some doubt about a return to the Sharks. So either retiring or like re-signing with Toronto if he still wants to play in the NHL.

tiburon12

Jul 18, 2009
Switzerland doesn't really have anything to do with it considering the point was that selling his house could add some doubt about a return to the Sharks. So either retiring or like re-signing with Toronto if he still wants to play in the NHL.
Was a return to the Sharks even ever in the cards? He left because he wanted a chance to win, right? If he doesn't retire (which i imagine he will), low chance he goes to the Sharks again, house or no house.

Sorry to sound rude, but none of this is surprising or even feels newsworthy based on prior knowledge. :)

Kat Predator

Nov 28, 2019
It's a little surprising in that the scuttlebutt was that he loved living in the area. His home near Los Gatos is a thing of beauty, so it's not hard to imagine someone enjoying living there.

On the other hand, his wife may want to return to Switzerland in retirement, which would be understandable as well.

Must be tough to have such difficult options. :laugh:

Reactions: Sandisfan

Barrie22

Shark fan in hiding
Aug 11, 2009
ontario
It's a little surprising in that the scuttlebutt was that he loved living in the area. His home near Los Gatos is a thing of beauty, so it's not hard to imagine someone enjoying living there.

On the other hand, his wife may want to return to Switzerland in retirement, which would be understandable as well.

Must be tough to have such difficult options. :laugh:

Thornton has never shy'd away from saying his plans after the nhl is to live and potentially play in davos.

Reactions: one2gamble

Quid Pro Clowe

Dec 28, 2008
Was a return to the Sharks even ever in the cards? He left because he wanted a chance to win, right? If he doesn't retire (which i imagine he will), low chance he goes to the Sharks again, house or no house.

Sorry to sound rude, but none of this is surprising or even feels newsworthy based on prior knowledge. :)
If Toronto wins a cup this year he may. That’s really the only scenario I can see.

Barrie22

Shark fan in hiding
Aug 11, 2009
ontario
If Toronto wins a cup this year he may. That’s really the only scenario I can see.

Only way thornton comes back to the sharks is if they bring in mcdavid, crosby, ovechkin, patrick kane, bergeron, kucherov, mathews, who else us good enough to fill out the top 9? That would make this a top notch team worthy of thornton coming back?

And price for the goalie.

Reactions: Quid Pro Clowe

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad