Player Discussion Joe Morrow

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

EverettMike

FIRE DON SWEENEY INTO THE SUN
Mar 7, 2009
Everett, MA
twitter.com
I'm not even sure Morrow is good at hockey, but he did seem to finally be showing something.

Given a choice between figuring out if he can play or not and trotting out Liles, I don't see how there's any choice. Let's see if the kid can be a player.

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
I'm not even sure Morrow is good at hockey, but he did seem to finally be showing something.

Given a choice between figuring out if he can play or not and trotting out Liles, I don't see how there's any choice. Let's see if the kid can be a player.

Not to mention that he is the last remaining piece of the Seguin trade. Not sure how much that matters, but it is clear Dallas and Boston thought highly enough of him to use him as a piece in that deal. It would be nice to have something back out of that and from what we've seen, Morrow could be a good player if given the time and space to develop. In fact, I thought he was the better of the two between he and C. Miller last season and early this season.

EverettMike

FIRE DON SWEENEY INTO THE SUN
Mar 7, 2009
Everett, MA
twitter.com
Not to mention that he is the last remaining piece of the Seguin trade. Not sure how much that matters, but it is clear Dallas and Boston thought highly enough of him to use him as a piece in that deal. It would be nice to have something back out of that and from what we've seen, Morrow could be a good player if given the time and space to develop. In fact, I thought he was the better of the two between he and C. Miller last season and early this season.

I thought Morrow was a train wreck last year. Like, an absolute mess.

I was pleasantly surprised at his progress this year. I never have faith in prospects that are traded twice before getting to the NHL.

Jean_Jacket41

Neely = HOF
Jun 25, 2003
With the smurfs
Morrow looked good this year. No reason he should be sitting for Liles. I would even dress him over K.Miller.

Healthy, that should be the top-6:

Chara-Carlo
Krug-C.Miller
Morrow-McQuaid/K.Miller

Next year:

Chara-McAvoy
Krug-Carlo
XXX-C.Miller

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
I thought Morrow was a train wreck last year. Like, an absolute mess.

I was pleasantly surprised at his progress this year. I never have faith in prospects that are traded twice before getting to the NHL.

He was and so was Colin :laugh: I thought Morrow was a less of a wreck, but yeah no way am I saying he was good last season

toasterjam

Sep 23, 2014
Mass
also I know it might be hard to remember but I was very impressed by Morrow's new found physical game this season, he threw some real decent hits and I noticed he was initiating contact a lot more this year than what I had previously seen.

His net front presence was getting a little better, an area I thought he struggled with last season.

Another issue is reading the play and knowing when the right time to step up and join the rush or pinch...he still made a few bad pinches but it seemed like an improvement too. Part of knowing when to pinch and read plays though is actually getting more experience and a feel for the quickness of the game and...young D NEED some real consistent minutes to get that.

No matter what Im still rooting for the kid to put it together whether with the bruins or...looks like with another team at this point.

He has shown some flashes of his skating, showing real confidence with the puck (something a lot of our D lack) He did have a few decent shots too that seemed accurate and created good rebounds. He does have some shaky decision making and can get lost in front of the net, I think pretty typical of young D...all our D have made very similar mistakes...but you need to play and be given a chance to learn and develop.

Overall I did really like what I saw from Morrow in his brief look this season and I think he was threading upwards.

If he does get another game in this season who even knows how he will look after sitting for so long..and knowing that a mistake will probably land you back in pressbox...not sure how well that plays for a young D's confidence, especially one who's game relies on skating confidently with the puck and taking chances (which of course you can get burned with)

As for mistakes Morrow makes, he makes them....and so does every single one of our D. All of them have made bad plays that have cost the bruins games..this season I dont recall that many terrible plays Morrow made that directly led to goals (there were a few but not all that many that were directly his fault) or bruins loses...I do recall plays made by K.Miller, Mcquaid, Liles, Carlo, Chara, Krug, C.Miller...I mean..it happens to them all...especially young inexperienced D.

Either way..must suck to watch things K.Miller pass pucks directly to Duchene in the slot and cost us goals vs Avs. or Mcquaid/Liles/Carlo misplay puck directly leading to game winning goals or lose their man in front leading to goal..it's happened this season..where if Morrow makes that same mistake, he would never be heard from again.

Anyway...Morrow rant done, hope for the best for him, seems like a great guy.

AM Bruin

The Early Worm
Feb 20, 2015
Out on a limb.
Talking to a source that knows him very well says he may be too nice and happy go lucky and he tends to play that way on the ice. I brought up that he plays better when he's more aggressive and was told that he may just have a hard time playing that style on a consistent basis.

It could be that he just doesn't fit the style Clode wants the defense to play and a change of scenery might be best. That wasn't said to me just what I suspect to be the case

remer

Oct 18, 2005
Defenseman who is 6' 0" - 200 lbs at the age of 24
Hasn't played since Dec. 12/16
Has played 13 games this year.
He played 33 games last year.
He played 15 games the first year with Boston
This doesn't look like a trend that he is moving in the right direction.
It's too bad because he could be a good player.

chizzler

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 11, 2006
Defenseman who is 6' 0" - 200 lbs at the age of 24
Hasn't played since Dec. 12/16
Has played 13 games this year.
He played 33 games last year.
He played 15 games the first year with Boston
This doesn't look like a trend that he is moving in the right direction.
It's too bad because he could be a good player.

It's a shame he didn't get more icetime. He's another kid they ruined IMO.

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC

ruined? So he`s done? I don`t get it, while I wouldn`t have opposed at all to Morrow getting more ice time, it goes to show, 20 of us could watch the same game and have differing opinions. I think his game has been better this year than last but I thought last year he was brutal.

I`m not such a big fan of Liles that I`d put him in every game ahead of Morrow but most coaches would lean to the side of the vet ahead of a younger player if the same situation was in play for them. I have far more issues with 3rd/4th line seeing one minute of ice time in the last 3-5 minutes of a game that they are behind by a goal than I do with Liles getting the call ahead of Morrow

BNHL

Dec 22, 2006
Boston

I don't know that he's ruined but if I were him,I'd want out. You simply cannot develop a career by sitting on the bench and this coach has repeatedly shown that he's not a fan.

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
I don't know that he's ruined but if I were him,I'd want out. You simply cannot develop a career by sitting on the bench and this coach has repeatedly shown that he's not a fan.

Probably best for him and I have no issues with it. I`d wager 29 other teams have a player or two that the fans think "should" be playing more in place of another but for whatever reason, isn`t.

I`m not nearly as optimistic about Morrow as some here, don`t think he thinks the game at a high speed. Has some great tools, not sure about the toolbox

BNHL

Dec 22, 2006
Boston
Probably best for him and I have no issues with it. I`d wager 29 other teams have a player or two that the fans think "should" be playing more in place of another but for whatever reason, isn`t.

I`m not nearly as optimistic about Morrow as some here, don`t think he thinks the game at a high speed. Has some great tools, not sure about the toolbox

It's the timing that's puzzling. His game was starting to loosen up,he was pushing the play,playing with the most confidence we had seen,then poof,he's gone.

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
It's the timing that's puzzling. His game was starting to loosen up,he was pushing the play,playing with the most confidence we had seen,then poof,he's gone.

For me, watching from the comfort of my sofa, club soda and pringles in hand, I watched a guy who I really liked from his blueline out, what I didn`t and don`t like is his game from our blueline in.

Now, again, I don`t like Liles that much better, also makes mistakes that make me shudder BUT he`s a vet and again, give me 30 coaches, I`d wager almost every one of them would plunk the vet in there before the younger player

I don`t know, maybe I`m missing something with Morrow, so badly I want the guy to start showing me a defensive game that forces the hand of Julien but he just hasn`t. If I see consistent issues defensively from my couch with limited cameras, what do the coaches see?

BNHL

Dec 22, 2006
Boston
For me, watching from the comfort of my sofa, club soda and pringles in hand, I watched a guy who I really liked from his blueline out, what I didn`t and don`t like is his game from our blueline in.

Now, again, I don`t like Liles that much better, also makes mistakes that make me shudder BUT he`s a vet and again, give me 30 coaches, I`d wager almost every one of them would plunk the vet in there before the younger player

I don`t know, maybe I`m missing something with Morrow, so badly I want the guy to start showing me a defensive game that forces the hand of Julien but he just hasn`t. If I see consistent issues defensively from my couch with limited cameras, what do the coaches see?

I disagree with some of this. I thought Morrow had a string of good outings at both ends of the ice interrupted by a 1 game benching,and now a month long one. The GAA of the team has gone up in the last month so there are some conflicting factors.

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
I disagree with some of this. I thought Morrow had a string of good outings at both ends of the ice interrupted by a 1 game benching,and now a month long one. The GAA of the team has gone up in the last month so there are some conflicting factors.

I respect your opinion, disagree with it but that`s what makes this board fun. We simply see his game differently.

chizzler

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 11, 2006
I respect your opinion, disagree with it but that`s what makes this board fun. We simply see his game differently.

I understand that two rookies might have been a bit much for Clode. They should have played one of them consistently and send one down to Providence. What they did last year was stunt their developement of both Morrow and Miller. Morrow will never play here. Mark my words. Miller is getting icetime due to injuries. Now that Liles is back, he will get less icetime. Miller is superior to Liles in skating, shooting and hitting. Anyone know what his injury is?

Brucentric*

Dec 9, 2016
Lets just call a spade a spade. This organization is and has been screwing this kid. I dont know what he did, but the mis management on this kids career, the up and down, screwing him around while the Kevin Millers and Tory Krug commit gaffes up and down the ice.

The Bruins have completely screwed this up and it is too bad because this kid is gonna wind up a TOP four player......Think Niskanen on Washington.....

Thats what Morrow can be. Niskanen was mis managed in Dallas and Pittsburgh...He has become a all star. Say hello to Joe Morrow and remember how this team treated him and watch him become a top 4 dman.

I know if i were him, i would leave and tell Boston to trade me.

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
I understand that two rookies might have been a bit much for Clode. They should have played one of them consistently and send one down to Providence. What they did last year was stunt their developement of both Morrow and Miller. Morrow will never play here. Mark my words. Miller is getting icetime due to injuries. Now that Liles is back, he will get less icetime. Miller is superior to Liles in skating, shooting and hitting. Anyone know what his injury is?

It was/is a knee strain, it didn't seem to be really serious, but I guess you never know.

Ratty

Feb 2, 2003
Rive Gauche
Visit site
"sitting on the bench"? Why, that would be an upgrade. He's been sitting in a fold-up chair in the nose bleeds for so long, he doesn't know what a bench smells like. Not so good, I imagine.:)

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
"sitting on the bench"? Why, that would be an upgrade. He's been sitting in a fold-up chair in the nose bleeds for so long, he doesn't know what a bench smells like. Not so good, I imagine.:)

At least he's been able to spend some quality time with Jimmy Hayes, bet he misses Jimmy on those inexplicable times Claude chooses to start him :laugh:

chizzler

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 11, 2006
Can they send him down to Providence or does he have to clear waivers? Needs playing time.

ON3M4N

Ignores/60 = Elite
Dec 13, 2015
Connecticut
At this point, I'd rather see them move Morrow to a team that will actually play him. I'm a big Morrow fan (even have a game worn Baby B's jersey) and I'd rather see him playing for another team then sitting upstairs for the Bruins.

missingchicklet

Jan 24, 2010
It's ashamed Morrow and Chiller did not get more ice time last year. Guys like that simply need NHL games to get better. Yes, they are going to make mistakes and seem like crap at times, but that leads to improvement with young players with talent. Instead of playing in more games the Bs sat them out and still did not make the playoffs. We are now seeing how ice time can pay off with Chiller. We were seeing it with Morrow too this season before he started sitting. For a team that is in a rebuild/partial rebuild or whatever the hell the Bs think it is it makes no sense to give priority to mediocre players like Liles over players who need ice time and could well be part of the future of the team. Morrow is completely being wasted at this point. Either play him a lot more or move him for assets.

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
Talking to a source that knows him very well says he may be too nice and happy go lucky and he tends to play that way on the ice. I brought up that he plays better when he's more aggressive and was told that he may just have a hard time playing that style on a consistent basis.

It could be that he just doesn't fit the style Clode wants the defense to play and a change of scenery might be best. That wasn't said to me just what I suspect to be the case

This seems to fit what we've seen from him.

If that's the case its going to be difficult to find a home in the NHL. Maybe Europe would be a better place to play for him.

Its also possible that the easy going attitude shows in practice. Not a good thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad