Confirmed with Link: Jimmy Howard re-signed for 6 years 5.3m per year

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

yave1964

22 and counting
Mar 22, 2013
Lexington ohio
We were between a rock and a hard place. The monster is okay as a backup, Mrazek is not quite ready, Howard has been underpaid,the best value in goal for years. Wish he had come cheaper, but at least we know goalie is taken care of for quite a while.

Heaton

Feb 13, 2004
Auburn Hills
I don't like the deal mainly because I don't like the idea of ANY goalie getting more than 4.5m per year, maybe 5m for top tier goalies like Lundqvist. But this deal doesn't kill the team, it just changes the entire philosophy on how this team has been built since the cap was introduced.

PullHard

Jul 18, 2007
I'll respect your opinion, but disagree fully.

I see a team that cannot score (99 GF). A team that cannot play defense when pressured (they have to rely on puck luck, or Howard to freeze it so Dastyuk can come in and win a faceoff and get it out). All 5 guys chase the puck carrier! Let's not forget Kronwall who forget's what team he's on and screens his own goalie. He's good for it at least a half a dozen times a game. Bank on it tonight.

As for a team game? What game. They're horrible on their own blue line. The offensive blue line. No cycling game. Neutral zone turnovers out the ***. I'll say they are better with board battles than they have been in recent years. But they have to be, or they would get completely dominated by skill.

They don't limit the high scoring chances. As a matter of fact, they make it more difficult for Howard most of the time with the "hey everyone, let's all jump on top of our goalie and no take our man" mentality.

Like I said, I respect your opinion. But I disagree. I see a totally different Wings team out there.

PS: Even though Lidstrom and Stuart were here during Howard stint...The Wings defense still was just average. It was only good when Lids was on the ice. Stuart wasn't a superhuman. I remember at least 4 goals bouncing off of him last year (one was a back breaker).

This all true and vaild, and I also respect your opinion, but it still doesn't make that contract feel any better for me. Howard is paid like the big boys, but I think we can all agree he isn't, and likely never will be considered "elite" or "one of the best". He is one of the best goalies we've had in a long time, though, outside of 2002 Hasek. I guess we have to see how it looks in a year or two. I still think he will get better, there is more room to grow.

Vladdy84

L-O-Y-A-L-T-Y
Dec 1, 2011
Farmington
We were between a rock and a hard place. The monster is okay as a backup, Mrazek is not quite ready, Howard has been underpaid,the best value in goal for years. Wish he had come cheaper, but at least we know goalie is taken care of for quite a while.

Now we just need to replace our best player in 2014 (#1 CENTER), find a 1st line winger and a #1 d-man.

Iowa Wingsfan

Jan 9, 2012
I can deal with this contract, more concerned with the term then the money. I will say that I think Howard is a good goalie. If he is not top ten in the league then he is very close. My biggest complaint with Howard was him leaving the crease to play the puck and I think he has improved on that a lot this year.

detredWINgs

Jan 1, 2004
Michigan
Visit site

This is the same ******** excuse that has been used for literally every signing, trade, non-trade, and non-signing for the past 3 years.

You end up "between a rock and a hard place" because of your own actions.

Holland could've signed Vokoun or Smith to give Howard a run for his money. Holland could've addressed the inevitable shortcomings to our defense 1, 2, or 3 years earlier so we weren't so clearly reliant on goaltending. And I'd bet my life that he sure as hell didn't even think to explore the market for Howard and do something as creative as selling off Howard for assets and then signing someone like Smith to "replace" him.

BinCookin

Feb 15, 2012
London, ON
I don't like the deal mainly because I don't like the idea of ANY goalie getting more than 4.5m per year, maybe 5m for top tier goalies like Lundqvist. But this deal doesn't kill the team, it just changes the entire philosophy on how this team has been built since the cap was introduced.

Howard has played about 60 games for us for three seasons, and most of this seasons games (33/39?)

Here is Howards previous salaries:
2009-10 $750,000
2010-11 $800,000
RFA
SEASON AHL SALARY NHL SALARY
2011-12 $2,250,000 $2,250,000
2012-13 $2,250,000 $2,250,000

I think we have had a pretty good deal up till now.

Syckle78

Nov 5, 2011
Redford, MI
Nah. Mrazek is a year or two away and by then Howard will have 4 years left. That's much more manageable than 8 years.

Plus the cap will be back up at that point. The only way this deal ends up in that situation is if Howards play goes drastically down hill and we are stuck with a 5m a year backup nobody wants.

Dynheart

Aug 21, 2011
Nah. Mrazek is a year or two away and by then Howard will have 4 years left. That's much more manageable than 8 years.

Yea. Bring him up. Let him play little Jimmy for a year, maybe two. Then challenge Jimmy for number 1.

From there, Jimmy will have 2 years left. We can have a 1a/1b combo. Jimmy loves Detroit...he stated it. Maybe we'll have another Osgood when it's time for a resigning (when he's 35)...AKA discount.

Only in a perfect world, eh? I can seem some of this happening, though. It all depends on how loyal Mrazek is to the Red Wings.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
If Mrazek blows up.... We essentially are stuck with a Luongo situation.

No we are not, Luongo is 34 next year with 9 years left. Howard's deal ends at 35, he is always going to be more movable. What the Wings should consider doing if the return looks ugly is eating 2 million of the salary. Understand why Vancouver cannot, but Calgary really missed the boat here on the kind of return they could have got on JayBo in my opinion.

PullHard

Jul 18, 2007
Howard has played about 60 games for us for three seasons, and most of this seasons games (33/39?)

Here is Howards previous salaries:
2009-10 $750,000
2010-11 $800,000
RFA
SEASON AHL SALARY NHL SALARY
2011-12 $2,250,000 $2,250,000
2012-13 $2,250,000 $2,250,000

I think we have had a pretty good deal up till now.

It isn't about now and later, or before and after. It is about managing the cap. So Ken saves his cap space to give our homegrown guys market value deals? Where is the logic in that?

BinCookin

Feb 15, 2012
London, ON
This is the same ******** excuse that has been used for literally every signing, trade, non-trade, and non-signing for the past 3 years.

You end up "between a rock and a hard place" because of your own actions.

Holland could've signed Vokoun or Smith to give Howard a run for his money. Holland could've addressed the inevitable shortcomings to our defense 1, 2, or 3 years earlier so we weren't so clearly reliant on goaltending. And I'd bet my life that he sure as hell didn't even think to explore the market for Howard and do something as creative as selling off Howard for assets and then signing someone like Smith to "replace" him.

When smith left TB, he was lucky to get an NHL contract. He was HORRIBLE in TB.

Vokoun has for 2 years now signed minimum deals with SC contenders.

We could not have gotten Vokoun.

ricky0034

Jun 8, 2010
some of you people have a seriously unrealistic view of what a Goalie like Howard is worth nowadays

$5.3m would put Howard 11th in Goalie cap hit and that's with guys like Rask and Schneider not getting paid

as for the term if there's no NTC it's a GOOD thing

if Mrazek doesn't pan out(and it's still far from a guarantee as much as I like him too) Goaltending will still be fine long term

if Mrazek does pan out? a few years down the line,a 31 year old Howard signed for 3 more years at a reasonable rate? that actually has some real trade value

BinCookin

Feb 15, 2012
London, ON
It isn't about now and later, or before and after. It is about managing the cap. So Ken saves his cap space to give our homegrown guys market value deals? Where is the logic in that?

It matters to the player. So he demands more.

Tatar / Nyquist will want more when they make the team. And after 3-4 years you will say "nah let them walk if they want that much money. (4-5Mil each).

Hey he either gives them market value (fair)
or he is a low baller when he leaves as a UFA.

You cant have it both ways. Either pay him and keep him. Or want him to leave.

This goes for alot of players.

Perry isn't worth the money right? Wish he would sign a D.Sedin deal at 6M? Well sorry, he wont. So pay him or lose him.

Dynheart

Aug 21, 2011

Sometimes you just want to give a guy a pay raise. Howard is deserving if you ask me. It's not always about how clever you can rip your own players off. Eventually they'll wisen up.

Hell, Holland has been called out several times already for be a lowballer. That in itself has chased away some players that the Wings could have used (behind the scenes).

THe home grown argument? Sometimes you have to show that you are doing a good job, and that the org. is putting a lot of it's weight on your shoulders. This 5m contract? I believe that's what holland is doing with this contract. let's see if Howard answers the bell.

detredWINgs

Jan 1, 2004
Michigan
Visit site
When smith left TB, he was lucky to get an NHL contract. He was HORRIBLE in TB.

Vokoun has for 2 years now signed minimum deals with SC contenders.

We could not have gotten Vokoun.

Most goaltenders look horrible in TB.

And Vokoun wanted to play for the Wings when he left Florida. He signed with Washington because he didn't want to be a guaranteed back-up. And he signed with Pittsburgh because they had his rights, gave him a raise, and the extra deal.

Keep the excuses coming. :shakehead

PullHard

Jul 18, 2007
It matters to the player. So he demands more.

Tatar / Nyquist will want more when they make the team. And after 3-4 years you will say "nah let them walk if they want that much money. (4-5Mil each).

Hey he either gives them market value (fair)
or he is a low baller when he leaves as a UFA.

You cant have it both ways. Either pay him and keep him. Or want him to leave.

This goes for alot of players.

Perry isn't worth the money right? Wish he would sign a D.Sedin deal at 6M? Well sorry, he wont. So pay him or lose him.

You're right, it just typically doesn't happen to us. I guess I'm stuck in the starting-goalie-signed-for-$1.5M mindset. I don't see Jimmy as being the guy you shell out for, but we don't have much else going for us RIGHT NOW in net.

Sometimes you just want to give a guy a pay raise. Howard is deserving if you ask me. It's not always about how clever you can rip your own players off. Eventually they'll wisen up.

Hell, Holland has been called out several times already for be a lowballer. That in itself has chased away some players that the Wings could have used (behind the scenes).

THe home grown argument? Sometimes you have to show that you are doing a good job, and that the org. is putting a lot of it's weight on your shoulders. This 5m contract? I believe that's what holland is doing with this contract. let's see if Howard answers the bell.

You could be right, let us hope he does answer it. As I said before, I think he will improve even more. I think he is getting more and more confident as the years go on.

Dynheart

Aug 21, 2011

And Vokoun wanted to play for the Wings when he left Florida. He signed with Washington because he didn't want to be a guaranteed back-up. And he signed with Pittsburgh because they had his rights, gave him a raise, and the extra deal.

Actually, Vokoun said he wanted to play for Washington over the Wings because he believed that the Caps would go further in the playoffs that year (he was correct).

He also said he wanted to go to a team where he didn't want to play as a backup (any team). SO that nixed the Wings right there. The Wings were in the running just because Holland was pursuing him. But he wanted no part of the Wings, as he believed they weren't going to make the playoffs/go far.

EDIT: “Looking at Washington’s lineup compared to Detroit, they are comparable teams,” Vokoun said. “But Detroit in last 10 years won three times Stanley Cup. And Washington never won it. But that’s a lot better challenge for me and the team, to be able to do something special.”

He later added: “My belief is this team has a better chance to win than Detroit does. And they showed a lot more interest, so that was the key for me, too.”

It's like he contradicts himself. It's a challenge to play on Washington...but he believes they have a better chance to win.

PullHard

Jul 18, 2007
Actually, Vokoun said he wanted to play for Washington over the Wings because he believed that the Caps would go further in the playoffs that year (he was correct).

He also said he wanted to go to a team where he didn't want to play as a backup (any team). SO that nixed the Wings right there. The Wings were in the running just because Holland was pursuing him. But he wanted no part of the Wings, as he believed they weren't going to make the playoffs/go far.

EDIT: “Looking at Washington’s lineup compared to Detroit, they are comparable teams,” Vokoun said. “But Detroit in last 10 years won three times Stanley Cup. And Washington never won it. But that’s a lot better challenge for me and the team, to be able to do something special.”

He later added: “My belief is this team has a better chance to win than Detroit does. And they showed a lot more interest, so that was the key for me, too.”

It's like he contradicts himself. It's a challenge to play on Washington...but he believes they have a better chance to win.

OT: He didn't end up playing for Washington anyway. He lost the starting role to Holtby. :laugh: But yeah, they did go to the 2nd round. I remember being worried/ pissed when Jimmy went down last year, but Joey Mac did really well most nights and kept our home streak alive.

BinCookin

Feb 15, 2012
London, ON

Look, I get you don't like the signing.

Who would you sign NOW, at the end of this year. No more hindsight analyzing.

Who will be a UFA this year worth taking.

Because you really only get two choices.
1) Keep jimmy and pay him
2) find a new Goalie.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad