Confirmed with Link: Jimmy Howard re-signed for 6 years 5.3m per year

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

PullHard

Jul 18, 2007
The issue I have with this is that Nashville is only paying Rinne $1.7 million more. I don't think Jimmy is that proportionately close in terms of skill / game winning (or game saving) ability. Don't really care for this contract. I feel like Holland gave him and his agent a blank check, because if they had to negotiate it down to $5.3M, that means Jimbo was asking for even more. In what world would he have the right to ask for more?

Hammerheart

Now how about a hug?
Aug 1, 2011
As a big Jim supporter, I was hoping this would be kept below 4.5. At an estimated 5.3, I can't say I'm thrilled with him making that kind of dough.

WingedWheel1987

Jan 11, 2011
GPP Michigan
He should have gotten 300-400k more than Ondrej Pavelec.

4.4 million per year.

5.3 million is absolutely laughable. Ken Holland got worked over once again because he had no leverage, just like the Ericsson and Quincey signings.

Syckle78

Nov 5, 2011
Redford, MI
The issue I have with this is that Nashville is only paying Rinne $1.7 million more. I don't think Jimmy is that proportionately close in terms of skill / game winning (or game saving) ability. Don't really care for this contract. I feel like Holland gave him and his agent a blank check, because if they had to negotiate it down to $5.3M, that means Jimbo was asking for even more. In what world would he have the right to ask for more?

Perhaps Holland offered less and Howard negotiated up? Or maybe they both went in with a similar number in mind and they just negotiated years. Could of went any number if ways.

PullHard

Jul 18, 2007
Perhaps Holland offered less and Howard negotiated up? Or maybe they both went in with a similar number in mind and they just negotiated years. Could of went any number if ways.

I think at the end of the day Holland had to say: Sure, $5M+ for 4 years, or, ~$4.25M for 6+ years.

Howard shouldn't have been able to have the best of both worlds in this scenario. We have Mrazek on the way and have used up a good chunk of our cap space on a better than average / pretty good goalie. I love Jim as much as anyone on here, big supporter, but Howard goes as the team goes almost 100% of the time. He rarely goes out and wins games on his own. I can only think of the LA game this year (which nearly went to OT) as being one example of a game where he alone was worthy of 2 points.

Vladdy84

L-O-Y-A-L-T-Y
Dec 1, 2011
Farmington
He should have gotten 300-400k more than Ondrej Pavelec.

4.4 million per year.

5.3 million is absolutely laughable. Ken Holland got worked over once again because he had no leverage, just like the Ericsson and Quincey signings.

I would've been really cool with a 4-5 yr 4.5M-4.8M deal. At least we don't have to worry about "The Monster" being the starter next year. That guy sucks.

detredWINgs

Jan 1, 2004
Michigan
Visit site
Meh, a combined $7m on Ericsson and Quincey is totally reasonable.

Sure. On the open market.

Just like $5.3M is fine for Howard. On the open market.

And I imagine when we sign Filppula to $4.5M-$5.5M, the argument will be the same.

Holland has done such a poor job replacing lost talent that now mediocre players have the bargaining power of established core players.

Honestly, if we had signed Vokoun to the same deal Pittsburgh did instead of signing unwanted trash like Conklin and Gustavsson, there would at least be some basis that we don't unequivocally need him in net.

Dynheart

Aug 21, 2011
:laugh: I love this response that people keep throwing out. "Now go out and fix the defense and offense, Kenny!"

With what money? With what roster spots? With what free agents?

Flips will not get signed. That's money freed up. I'm sure more will come off. But the days of high powered offense from 1st to 4th line... A defense that dominates...and a goalie that was just desperate to play for Detroit, that he played for dirt cheap (Osgood)...are gone.

You sign Howard. If he walks, I'm sure we'll just get the same response "Holland, you suck!" Now that he's signed...You work on the defense, and the offense. Don't care how. He's the GM.

Or perhaps we bring up Mrazek and turn him into Mason? I'm sure this defense will do great things for his career. And before we bring up the Ottawa 67's...their skill level didn't even touch the NHL.

Vladdy84

L-O-Y-A-L-T-Y
Dec 1, 2011
Farmington
The defense will be fine. I don't see any true #1 d-men going on the market anytime soon.

The offense is the issue on this team.

detredWINgs

Jan 1, 2004
Michigan
Visit site
Flips will not get signed. That's money freed up. I'm sure more will come off. But the days of high powered offense from 1st to 4th line... A defense that dominates...and a goalie that was just desperate to play for Detroit, that he played for dirt cheap (Osgood)...are gone.

You sign Howard. If he walks, I'm sure we'll just get the same response "Holland, you suck!" Now that he's signed...You work on the defense, and the offense. Don't care how. He's the GM.

Or perhaps we bring up Mrazek and turn him into Mason? I'm sure this defense will do great things for his career. And before we bring up the Ottawa 67's...their skill level didn't even touch the NHL.

I didn't even read the rest of your post past the portion I bolded. If Holland loses Filppula for nothing, that just furthers the argument that Holland is an average GM in the cap world.

Dynheart

Aug 21, 2011
I think at the end of the day Holland had to say: Sure, $5M+ for 4 years, or, ~$4.25M for 6+ years.

Howard shouldn't have been able to have the best of both worlds in this scenario. We have Mrazek on the way and have used up a good chunk of our cap space on a better than average / pretty good goalie. I love Jim as much as anyone on here, big supporter, but Howard goes as the team goes almost 100% of the time. He rarely goes out and wins games on his own. I can only think of the LA game this year (which nearly went to OT) as being one example of a game where he alone was worthy of 2 points.

I can think of a recent Anaheim game too. Or the Edmonton game where the Wings got dominated.

People just don't like to give the goalie credit around here.

JmanWingsFan

Your average Jman
Aug 18, 2011
Somewhere
The Cap Hit is fine. I have no problems with this contract really... This means Mrazek will be up after Gustavsson's contract is up. That's good.

WingedWheel1987

Jan 11, 2011
GPP Michigan
I didn't even read the rest of your post past the portion I bolded. If Holland loses Filppula for nothing, that just furthers the argument that Holland is an average GM in the cap world.

I think the word you are looking for is, "moron."

Because only a moron would keep a player that is going to walk only so he can have him for the first round of the playoffs.

Ken Holland is slowly approaching a Jay Feaster level of incompetence.

Dynheart

Aug 21, 2011

Who say's he'll let him walk. We just know he won't be resigned now that HOward is all but confirmed.

He'll most likely do what he did with Stuart. That is...if anyone wants him. He's under performing this year. Or...he's just back down to earth.

Dynheart

Aug 21, 2011
I think the word you are looking for is, "moron."

Because only a moron would keep a player that is going to walk only so he can have him for the first round of the playoffs.

Ken Holland is slowly approaching a Jay Feaster level of incompetence.

If he does this..then yes.. Dumb move.

Vladdy84

L-O-Y-A-L-T-Y
Dec 1, 2011
Farmington
Who say's he'll let him walk. We just know he won't be resigned now that HOward is all but confirmed.

He'll most likely do what he did with Stuart. That is...if anyone wants him. He's under performing this year. Or...he's just back down to earth.

Oh sweet! a 5th or 6th round pick for his rights!

Could've traded him for a couple 2nds and prospects at the deadline. Then ya bring up Tatar. Team doesn't suffer much and gains picks and prospects.

PullHard

Jul 18, 2007
I can think of a recent Anaheim game too. Or the Edmonton game where the Wings got dominated.

People just don't like to give the goalie credit around here.

No, trust me, I recognize Jimmy as one of our better players. He, Datsyuk, and healthy Z are clearly our best. This is the first year Howard has had his work cut out for him, though. With Lids, Stuart, etc. back there, life was easier, as well younger, better, and deeper forward group. He's been fine this year, but he isn't carrying us to the playoffs or anything. As I said, he mostly goes as the team goes, with the odd stand out performance here or there.

Dynheart

Aug 21, 2011
Oh sweet! a 5th or 6th round pick for his rights!

Could've traded him for a couple 2nds and prospects at the deadline. Then ya bring up Tatar. Team doesn't suffer much and gains picks and prospects.

Come on. All of that for a guy who puts up less than .50ppg? Or are we hoping the other GMs are banking on his fluke year?

Get something out of the guy and let him go.

PullHard

Jul 18, 2007
Come on. All of that for a guy who puts up less than .50ppg? Or are we hoping the other GMs are banking on his fluke year?

Well, why wait til then? He surely isn't the difference between Cup and no Cup?

detredWINgs

Jan 1, 2004
Michigan
Visit site

Did you not see what the mediocrity landed at the deadline? Did you not hear how many buying teams were desperate for 2nd line centers?

The sad thing is, there wasn't even any talk from Holland that they listened to offers for Filppula.

WingedWheel1987

Jan 11, 2011
GPP Michigan
Did you not see what the mediocrity landed at the deadline? Did you not hear how many buying teams were desperate for 2nd line centers?

The said thing is, there wasn't even any talk from Holland that they listened to offers for Filppula.

Holland stopped service for the phone lines at JLA to save money. Why pay for them when you aren't using them?

Dynheart

Aug 21, 2011
No, trust me, I recognize Jimmy as one of our better players. He, Datsyuk, and healthy Z are clearly our best. This is the first year Howard has had his work cut out for him, though. With Lids, Stuart, etc. back there, life was easier, as well younger, better, and deeper forward group. He's been fine this year, but he isn't carrying us to the playoffs or anything. As I said, he mostly goes as the team goes, with the odd stand out performance here or there.

I'll respect your opinion, but disagree fully.

I see a team that cannot score (99 GF). A team that cannot play defense when pressured (they have to rely on puck luck, or Howard to freeze it so Dastyuk can come in and win a faceoff and get it out). All 5 guys chase the puck carrier! Let's not forget Kronwall who forget's what team he's on and screens his own goalie. He's good for it at least a half a dozen times a game. Bank on it tonight.

As for a team game? What game. They're horrible on their own blue line. The offensive blue line. No cycling game. Neutral zone turnovers out the ***. I'll say they are better with board battles than they have been in recent years. But they have to be, or they would get completely dominated by skill.

They don't limit the high scoring chances. As a matter of fact, they make it more difficult for Howard most of the time with the "hey everyone, let's all jump on top of our goalie and no take our man" mentality.

Like I said, I respect your opinion. But I disagree. I see a totally different Wings team out there.

PS: Even though Lidstrom and Stuart were here during Howard stint...The Wings defense still was just average. It was only good when Lids was on the ice. Stuart wasn't a superhuman. I remember at least 4 goals bouncing off of him last year (one was a back breaker).

Iowa Wingsfan

Jan 9, 2012
Ken Holland got worked over once again because he had no leverage, just like the Ericsson and Quincey signings.

I shudder to think what the Wings defense would look like without Ericsson. I would argue that he is worth every penny even if Detroit had a solid d-core.

Dynheart

Aug 21, 2011
Well, why wait til then? He surely isn't the difference between Cup and no Cup?

I think Holland was debating between flips or Howard this year. Just my opinion. Howard won out. 14 points in 32 games? And when he wants more than 5 million? /bye Flips

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad