Confirmed with Link: Jimmy Howard re-signed for 6 years 5.3m per year

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Sameheda

Sep 28, 2011
Texas
In the most important part of the season, with playoffs on the line, Howard has a .940 SV% in the month of April over 7 games.

He responded amazingly well after that stinker at the end of March to Chicago.

I don't really keep up with his goalie stats, but if those numbers are true, that's very impressive.

Dynheart

Aug 21, 2011
Making posts like this only invites knee-jerk responses when he has a bad game or lets in some soft goals. Obviously one game wouldn't be - and shouldn't be - "good enough" for any argument.

With that said, I like Jimmy's poise since the deal was announced. He's played 3 solid games, but more importantly in my opinion, his body language suggests more ownership over his game than I've ever seen from him before. Hopefully its a sign of maturity and not just a byproduct of the excitement from signing such a big deal.

It's funny you bring up poise. He looked like 2010-2011 Howard at the beginning of the season, or rather 1/3. Then all of the sudden? Something clicked. His last 21 game performance has been, what I would call, worth 5M (the 2 game stinkers aside...but those happen).

He does what a goalie that gets paid that much should do. Keeps your team in it. Steals points. Steals games. And right now? He just looks like a different goalie than he has the last 3 seasons. And I think he'll get better for the next 2 before he peaks skill wise. But that's my opinion.

Hopefully he get's better with his blocker side (he always seems to overplay the angle on his blocker...which leave bad rebounds off his blocker/pad on that side).

Goalie guy

Jul 8, 2011
Taylor MI
I think he's had a certain confidence and body language for a few years now. He wasn't the reason we lost the playoff series against the Sharks and Preds but because he didn't steal those games he gets... well, you know how it is.

Thank you! he is not now or has never been the reason for this team not doing well. and he has stole games for this team. people just want to hate on the goalie here.

RedWingsNow*

HMMM look's like Jimmy done okay tonight! brake away, penalty shot, and no goals against. is that good enough for you guys?

I figured this thread would light up with a shutout against the toothless Preds.

Penalty shot -- no shot on goal

Break away against a 2-goal scorer who got off a weak shot.

In all, 22 shots faced.

Jimmy had a solid game.

Detroit outshot and outplayed their opponents and got the win it deserved

Dynheart

Aug 21, 2011
I figured this thread would light up with a shutout against the toothless Preds.

Penalty shot -- no shot on goal

Break away against a 2-goal scorer who got off a weak shot.

In all, 22 shots faced.

Jimmy had a solid game.

Detroit outshot and outplayed their opponents and got the win it deserved

:laugh:

Ok. We'll forget the first period. We'll also forget the high quality chances the Preds got. Rinne faced them too. Both goalies didn't have it easy today whatsoever.

Sometimes you just have to ignore the shot clock and see what happens on the ice...perhaps? 22 shots? Sure. 22 game doesn't = easy game. That wasn't today.

RedWingsNow*

:laugh:

Ok. We'll forget the first period. We'll also forget the high quality chances the Preds got. Rinne faced them too. Both goalies didn't have it easy today whatsoever.

Sometimes you just have to ignore the shot clock and see what happens on the ice...perhaps? 22 shots? Sure. 22 game doesn't = easy game. That wasn't today.

YIPPPEEEEE

Jimmy Howard can beat Nashville and Colorado!

Let's wait and see where this is when the smoke clears

Goalie guy

Jul 8, 2011
Taylor MI
YIPPPEEEEE

Jimmy Howard can beat Nashville and Colorado!

Let's wait and see where this is when the smoke clears

When what smoke clears?? you mean if they make the playoff's? or the first round exit? both of which I will tell you not be on Jimmy! maybe the crap that is playing in front of him yes. the standing pat of we like our team by big chief Kenny, or his complete denial that his defense was all but gone after the last 3 yrs!

RedWingsNow*

When what smoke clears?? you mean if they make the playoff's? or the first round exit? both of which I will tell you not be on Jimmy! maybe the crap that is playing in front of him yes. the standing pat of we like our team by big chief Kenny, or his complete denial that his defense was all but gone after the last 3 yrs!

What about the crap in front of him last year? And the year before? And the year before?

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
Not really a fan of the deal. Too long, for too much money for a guy who isn't spectacular at anything. I'd have been happier with either a shorter deal for more money, though if we wanted to re-sign again after that, he'd probably just demand even more money. Lose/lose position, I guess.

I'd have considered rolling the dice on a short term deal with a guy like Khabibulen, Nabokov or Backstrom, maybe see if Thomas wants to play in his home state for a year.

ArGarBarGar

What do we want!? Unfair!
Sep 8, 2008
Not really a fan of the deal. Too long, for too much money for a guy who isn't spectacular at anything. I'd have been happier with either a shorter deal for more money, though if we wanted to re-sign again after that, he'd probably just demand even more money. Lose/lose position, I guess.

I'd have considered rolling the dice on a short term deal with a guy like Khabibulen, Nabokov or Backstrom, maybe see if Thomas wants to play in his home state for a year.

I would rather not go with the "reclamation project" idea. Hasn't Yzerman done a similar thing during his tenure with Tampa? Try some cheap goaltenders who have fallen back a bit and see if they thrive?

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
I would rather not go with the "reclamation project" idea. Hasn't Yzerman done a similar thing during his tenure with Tampa? Try some cheap goaltenders who have fallen back a bit and see if they thrive?

I think it depends how we expect the team to contend. Unless we do something to bring in some top end talent now, I think we're looking at some lean years of squeaking into the playoffs and kids getting moved into larger roles. Considering that, I'd rather go cheaper on goalie, and see if we can get an opportunity to go big on an elite guy, either through absorbing a contract through trade or by going big in free agency.

I just don't see where we get a lot of positives out of the Howard deal. As I said, it feels like we're paying max value for the whole thing. If we're not getting a deal one way or the other, what's the point in going six years?

PullHard

Jul 18, 2007

Neither Lindback or Bishop fell back anywhere, nor were they cheap. I guess you're referring to Roloson?

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Overpaid goalie who hasn't proven anything in the playoffs

What Henrik Lundqvist, Pekka Rinne, Carey Price.... Guess he can join the club, blaming Howard for this teams recent failures is wrong.

Note they are all better than him: Their numbers don't suggest wildly better especially in terms of Rinne. Just pointing out until last year Lundqvist hadn't won a single series, Price was out gunned by Halak in the Canadiens most memorable run. Rinne has twice made it to the second round, something Howard has done.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Yeah if he is up to 5.8, I am done defending this deal. Yes 500K is that big a difference, plus it puts him on the exact same figure as Quick, which would be outrageous. Assuming that is wrong though.

HTT3*

Yeah if he is up to 5.8, I am done defending this deal. Yes 500K is that big a difference, plus it puts him on the exact same figure as Quick, which would be outrageous. Assuming that is wrong though.

The difference between Quick and Howard is Quick has a better team in front of him. Put Quick on a crappy team and he isn't a $5 million dollar goalie.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad