Confirmed with Link: Jimmy Howard re-signed for 6 years 5.3m per year

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Crymson

Fire Holland
May 23, 2010
Annti Niemi, with a Stanley Cup and a playoff victories over Howard, looks across the rink and wonders how Jimmy Howard just signed a contract that pays him $1.5M more a year than he gets

Hockey fans look across the e-rink and wonder why you can't understand Niemi's contract. It's very, very simple.

crashman

Is this why Jimmy threw a hissy fit last night and smashed his stick against the boards/hallway wall?

Gotta show that I care 5 million dollars worth! If these reports are true, he's so over-****inpaid.

Heaton

Feb 13, 2004
Auburn Hills
Is this why Jimmy threw a hissy fit last night and smashed his stick against the boards/hallway wall?

Gotta show that I care 5 million dollars worth! If these reports are true, he's so over-****inpaid.

Or it could be because we just lost a crucial point in a shootout to a team we're chasing. But I'm sure he was just acting to justify his contract.:laugh:

Crymson

Fire Holland
May 23, 2010
Or it could be because we just lost a crucial point in a shootout to a team we're chasing. But I'm sure he was just acting to justify his contract.:laugh:

Almost true. You forgot to mention that he was doing it just to prove himself to the residents of this subforum.

crashman

Of course I was kidding, but acting like that is ridiculous no matter the circumstances.

As a fan, maybe you can understand my frustration that the guy let in 2 5-hole goals the most crucial shootout of the season. After all, he's going to be a $5m+ goalie now.

This contract might be the thing that makes him the scapegoat in Detroit like has happened with our goalies in the past.

Last edited by a moderator:

BF3

Boom Roasted.
Dec 30, 2011
Cbus
So Jimmy is in the 8-14 range for goaltenders and is being paid like...8-14 range for goaltenders.

I'm confused.

As long as there isn't an NTC, this gives us flexibility to trade Howard in the future if need be (if Mrazek is better). $5.3MM for a goalie of Howard's talents is going to be perfectly in line with the market 3 years from now, when he is 32. It's not even that crazy of a deal today.

I feel like if this deal was $300,001 less per year and/or one year shorter, the level of vitriol would be cut in half. I don't understand why people assume we can retain players at a discount as compared to the open market. Howard would have gotten more per year if he signed with another team.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
This is what Tampa Bay is doing right now. Think it's a sound strategy?

Way more failures looking for bargain goalies than success stories, but that won't stop the critics from exercising that selective memory.

Howard's deal is longer than I'd prefer, but if the option is gamble with a journeyman next year... Oh goodness no. Howard is reliable.

And nothing will stop other goalies in the system stealing the job or splitting time. Even Lou, on a way bigger deal, finds himself in a tandem. Vancouver's terrible situation is too many good goalies. Woe is them. Let's hope the Wings suffer the same.

YostisHome

Wet Bandits
May 7, 2010
The part that makes me hate it is I just know KH thinks he's getting a steal because of the years and he's saving money in the long run.

ricky0034

Jun 8, 2010
Of course I was kidding, but acting like that is ridiculous no matter the circumstances.

As a fan, maybe you can understand my frustration that the guy let in 2 5-hole goals the most crucial shootout of the season. After all, he's going to be a $5m+ goalie now.

This contract might be the thing that makes him the scapegoat in Detroit like has happened with our goalies in the past.

the thing is though,throughout his career he's been one of the better shootout Goalies in tne NHL

every Goalies gonna look bad in the shootout from time to time,it's a ****ing shootout

sarcastro

Jul 28, 2005
A couple points -
I think Howie is getting his market value. I can live with the deal as long as there is no NTC

But still, when have the Red Wings had "World Class" defenses? 1997 was probably our best, but we still had old Murphy, old Festisov and old Rouse.

1998 we added Macoun and Anders eriksson after losing Konstantinov and...I forget who else we lost.

2002 we had Lidstrom and Chelios, but Fischer was 21 and mistake prone. Olausson was old. Duschene and Olausson were at the end of their rop.

2008 was probably one of our best with Lidstrom and Rafalski, Stuart and Kronwall. But we Lebda and Lilja...

The Wings haven't been running world class defense groups. And they've not had the 6'4 stay-at-home, physical guys either.

They win with a defense that moves the puck and forwards who keep the puck, and centers that play excellent defense.

When you do that well, you minimize what's required of you're goalie -- just as Hitchcock and Tippett minimize what's required of their goalies.

Murphy wasn't that old in 1997. He turned 36 that March and still had plenty in the tank. By 99-00, he was old. And by 00-01, he was just embarrassing himself. But in 97 he was still in good playing condition. That's a nitpick, but worth noting.

So there are two common threads to the 97, 98, and 02 teams:

1. They had so much skill at forward that they could play keepaway most of the game and had the discipline to minimize chances against when the other team did manage to get the puck. You can't get scored on when you have the puck. Well, it's really hard to do, anyway.

2. The defense was balanced perfectly, even if it wasn't packed with superstars. Lidstrom and Murphy complemented each other perfectly in 97 and 98, as Lidstrom and Olausson did in 02 and Rafalski in 08. They had Vladdy in 97 - that's nuff said right there. Fetisov and Rouse were both old but they played defense - this team would do well to have a couple old guys that don't play the puck much but actually know how to play defense. Shocking, I know. And then in 02 they got great play from Duchesne and Chelios was dominant.

2008 was a little different, as they didn't really have the elite skill of the earlier Cup teams. They did have two brilliant and balanced pairings in Lidstrom-Rafalski (before his wheels fell off) and Kronwall-Stuart. Those pairs could play 50 minutes a night and cover basically all of the tough matchups and special teams minutes. That left about 10 minutes a night against 3rd and 4th liners for Lebda and Lilja, who managed to play their best hockey in that playoff stretch.

To your last point, the defense has been gradually moving the puck less and less, and the offense has been gradually keeping the puck less and less. To the point where it's now pretty far out of whack. Babcock is all over this, BTW. There's a reason they have what, 37 defensemen on the roster right now? Babcock is trying to find a combination that has any kind of balance because you have to have that balanced, stifling defense to win the Cup.

In the meantime, Jimmy is covering up a lot of sloppy play by Q, Kronwall, CC, Lashoff, and the rest of the boys. Until they get the D in order, they're going to need Jimmy.

Dynheart

Aug 21, 2011
the thing is though,throughout his career he's been one of the better shootout Goalies in tne NHL

every Goalies gonna look bad in the shootout from time to time,it's a ****ing shootout

Being a goalie, you have to constantly evolve your game. Howard has been top 5 in the shootout throughout his career. Last year, though, he wasn't as dominant. Makes you wonder...Perhaps the shooters do their homework on the better goalies in the league.

The onus is now on Howard to evolve his game, once again, so he's not easily beatable. I mean look at him now. He's better at his rebounds this year than last (I didn't think he could get better) season. The few gafs aside? He's a much better puck handler. And most of all...his poke check. He's active with his stick this year. He's preventive passes from behind the net. All sorts of situations that he uses that poke check.

I think he's a much better goalie this year than last year. Even though he was in the Vezina talk at one point. And yes...his All star year.

The average goalies don't evolve. The great-elite goalies evolve their games as their careers progress. I think we can agree that Howard isn't the same goalie he was his rookie year. I highly doubt he will have the same weakness two years from now (he really needs to work on his blocker).

RedWingsNow*

In the meantime, Jimmy is covering up a lot of sloppy play by Q, Kronwall, CC, Lashoff, and the rest of the boys. Until they get the D in order, they're going to need Jimmy.

Need Jimmy for what?

Jimmy isn't a savior. He's not the kind of goalie who can keep your team above water despite poor defense.

He doesn't make us better than any other average starting goalie in the league.

Jimmy Howard is a capable NHL starting goalie. He doesn't mask a poor defense.

Dynheart

Aug 21, 2011
Need Jimmy for what?

Jimmy isn't a savior. He's not the kind of goalie who can keep your team above water despite poor defense.

He's been doing a pretty damn good job so far this season. Unless damn near 92.0 SV% on this abomination of a team is average.

But whatever. Unless this team has a Lundqvist type goalie, you guys will never be happy. Hell, you guys spite Osgood when he was in net the years he won. ****, I don't even think Lundqvist will suit this boards standards, as he costs too much! We must pay for a cheap *** goalie, or it's a fail.

Aug 6, 2012
Need Jimmy for what?

So what the hell is he doing this year?

Last edited:

Crymson

Fire Holland
May 23, 2010
Need Jimmy for what?

Aside from Howard being an NHL starting goalie, I don't think there's even the faintest bit of reality in your post.

Aug 6, 2012
Being a goalie, you have to constantly evolve your game. Howard has been top 5 in the shootout throughout his career. Last year, though, he wasn't as dominant. Makes you wonder...Perhaps the shooters do their homework on the better goalies in the league.

The onus is now on Howard to evolve his game, once again, so he's not easily beatable. I mean look at him now. He's better at his rebounds this year than last (I didn't think he could get better) season. The few gafs aside? He's a much better puck handler. And most of all...his poke check. He's active with his stick this year. He's preventive passes from behind the net. All sorts of situations that he uses that poke check.

I think he's a much better goalie this year than last year. Even though he was in the Vezina talk at one point. And yes...his All star year.

The average goalies don't evolve. The great-elite goalies evolve their games as their careers progress. I think we can agree that Howard isn't the same goalie he was his rookie year. I highly doubt he will have the same weakness two years from now (he really needs to work on his blocker).

Maybe he learned the poke check from Gus. He's used it perfectly this year.

RedWingsNow*

Aside from Howard being an NHL starting goalie, I don't think there's even the faintest bit of reality in your post.

So, then, Crymson,
You're saying that Jimmy Howard is a savior?

And that he's the only thing keeping us in 9th place?

And that without the $5.3M man, we'd be where?

12th?

:laugh:

You've got no business lecturing me on reality, Crymson.

Jimmy Howard is paid in accordance with the market for a good starting goalie.

So I say, he's a good starting goalie. He's worth the money. But he's not some kind of savior who transforms this team. And you jump all over that?

All he is is Good.
He's not great. He's not elite. He's not the kind of goalie who makes good teams great teams, or great teams cup teams.

He's the kind of goalie who makes good teams good teams.

Personally, it's not really my preference to spend $5M a year on goalies because you can get capable goalies for half that.

But the WIngs can live with this deal IF there's no NTC.

RedWingsNow*

He's been doing a pretty damn good job so far this season. Unless damn near 92.0 SV% on this abomination of a team is average.

But whatever. Unless this team has a Lundqvist type goalie, you guys will never be happy. Hell, you guys spite Osgood when he was in net the years he won. ****, I don't even think Lundqvist will suit this boards standards, as he costs too much! We must pay for a cheap *** goalie, or it's a fail.

We're in 9th place.
He's got a losing record in the playoffs.

He always seems to play just well enough to lose when it really matters.

Now, that last sentence is harsh. But it is what it is.

He's a capable netminder. A solid starter. He's making what solid starters make.

But let's stop talking about Jimmy Howard like he's Patrick Roy.

Goalie guy

Jul 8, 2011
Taylor MI
Before the season I said we'd finish 6th to 10th.

We're in 9th.

He's guided us to a 9th place finish so far.

Throw him a Vezina.:laugh:

I would say it is lack of scoring that has guided us to 9th place not the goalkeeping! you want him to make the saves and set up goals?

when the team is loosing 3 -1 , 2-1 , 2-0 so on and so forth it is not the goalies fault!

Is he the captain? no he is not where is Z in all of this this team looks unmotivated and down right sloppy most nights this year!

Maybe he should be called out as not doing very well as the team captain?

Fuzzy Bunny

Mar 5, 2007
Howard is the most under-rated goalie on these boards from what I can tell. He has played great the entire season and is deserving of the new contract and Detroit is lucky to have him.

14ari13

Oct 19, 2006
Norway

I know that people complained even about Hasek.

Edit: in '02

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad