Jim Matheson should have his voting privileges revoked

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Oilslick941611

Jul 4, 2006
Ottawa
Correction: Jim Matheson should have his journalism privileges revoked

We hate him as much as you all do
if I recall correctly he's the guy that asked Leon why he was so pissy right? The players absolutely hate him and don't give him anything in pressers.

If we're being honest I'm not really sure why any one in the media gets to vote for any award. It seems silly.
like 90% of the awards that aren't stat based on writer voting.

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
Special shoutout to legendary hater Ryan S. Clark, the sole dissenting vote on McDavid unanimously winning. He was also the only writer to say the Canucks would win out of the 25 writers polled.
I'm not going to suggest he is silly for not voting McDavid first, but I am going to suggest he is silly for voting Bobrovsky over Barkov.

Reactions: Farmboy Patty

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
That never happened.

Yes it did

The tie was an oddity to begin with, but Théodore’s Hart Memorial Trophy win got controversial after the voting results were publicized. The trophy is voted on by members of the Professional Hockey Writers’ Association (PHWA), each of whom selects five players on their ballot. The players are ranked and awarded votes in a 10-7-5-3-1 system for first through fifth place on each ballot.

For the 2002 NHL Awards, 62 PHWA members voted on the Hart Memorial Trophy. Iginla and Théodore both received a total of 434 points, but Théodore’s came by way of 26 first-place votes (26-16-9-5-2) while Iginla got only 23 (23-18-12-5-3). Noticeably, however, Iginla was entirely left off just a single voter’s ballot.

GhostfaceWu

Shi Shaw
Feb 11, 2015
Lol Bouchard had 10 more points than any florida player hell there wasn't a single ppg player on the Panthers and hyman put up the highest goal total since Sakic I fail to see how that's being homerish. If there was a single Florida player within spitting distance of either of them okay there'd be a point but there wasn't

zar

Bleed Blue
Oct 9, 2010
Edmonton AB
Oiler fan here.

Not impressed by that by Matheson - I don’t like it one bit. He was probably trolling “pissy” Draisaitl as much as he was trolling the rest of the hockey world.

So many of these clowns in mainstream media nowadays trying to be relevant by acting like complete fools, being “controversial”.

While you’re at it put up the ESPN writer (not mentioning him by name on purpose) who was the lone voter to not name McDavid the Conn Smythe winner… same guy was the only guy to pick the Canucks over the Oilers… not that they are far fetched views but rather that it seems more of an agenda than a vote.

Clicks and likes. There is so little integrity left in journalism anymore. Might as well give the votes to some randos on HF Boards.

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
Theodore was left off more ballots than Iginla, which is a greater problem. Iginla was not the MVP that year.

Iginla led the league in both goals and points. Scored 26% of the Flames goals that year, which is a greater % than Matthews did in his Hart winning season or even in this 69 goal Rocket season.

Theodore wasn't even the clear cut unanimous best goalie. He tied Roy in Vezina votes and won on a tiebreaker for that trophy as well.
but this is OT so whatever

Dr Pepper

Dec 9, 2005
Sunny Etobicoke
Lol Bouchard had 10 more points than any florida player hell there wasn't a single ppg player on the Panthers and hyman put up the highest goal total since Sakic I fail to see how that's being homerish. If there was a single Florida player within spitting distance of either of them okay there'd be a point but there wasn't

Imagine a world where points aren't the deciding factor in a vote for PLAYOFF MVP. :laugh:

Crazy, right?

Evergreen

I don’t even think his votes were that questionable. Bouchard was 2nd in playoff scoring as a defenseman and set a record for most assists by a defenseman in a playoff. Only Gretzky and Lemieux have ever had more assists in a playoff.

Hyman led the playoffs in goals by a long shot with 16 (next best was 11) and is tied for 11th all time in that category.

You could make an argument for Barkov or Bobrovsky, but frankly Barkov was only 7th in scoring and Bob had a really rough stretch of play in the final.

Who cares whether the winner is on the winning team?

Reactions: CanadienShark

Ace Card Bedard

Back in Black, Red, and White
Feb 11, 2012

And yet they lost only scoring 5 goals total in their 4 losses in the finals.
Scattering in some blowout wins where guys are picking up garbage points doesn't really mean much in the end when you still lose.

Bobrovsky was excellent in his team's 4 wins in the finals. He was certainly deserving of CS consideration but his first two rounds were not great. He was great against the Rangers and great enough against the Oilers (games 1 and 7 were tremendous.)

McDavid obviously was also very deserving, but more based on the previous 3 series. I don't think he was very impressive in the finals. Most of his points were when the games were already out of reach and he got nothing on the scoresheet in games 6 and 7 when they needed it most.

EdJovanovski

#RempeForCalder
Apr 26, 2016
The Rempire State
Lol. I feel the complete opposite, if anything he should be the sole decision maker for who wins the Conn Smythe for having the balls to stand up for what's right.

Eternal Leaf

Jul 4, 2011
Toronto

You're right Bobrovsky should have scored more points.

WaW

Armchair Assistant Coffee Gofer for the GM
Mar 18, 2017
Matheson sucks, but why are we only singling him out when 16 of 17 voters selected McDavid? Are people really thay upset about 2nd and 3rd place votes in a formula that makes those votes rather inconsequential for an award that is never particularly close? Really, do we not have more productive things to be angry about?

Crosby2010

Mar 4, 2023
I figured McDavid would win, and there was always the chance of Bob or Barkov winning it but the historic postseason had to go in McDavid's favour here. However, I didn't have an Oiler 2nd. And then another Oiler 3rd. There is no way the losing team has the top 3 players in the playoffs. Hyman can't tie his shoes without an assist from McDavid and he puts him ahead of Barkov and Bobrovsky? Does Matheson realize that either one of Barkov or Bobrovsky pretty much had their name chiseled into the Conn Smythe after Game 3?

BurnabyJoe7

Not an Avalanche fan
Apr 12, 2019
Couldn't believe that guy gets to vote.

The NHL is ran like a government agency when you look at the DoPS, the reffing, how they dish out organization fines (ARZ vs Chicago) and now clearly with award voting if that knucklehead gets to vote. Just zero accountability across the board.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad