Jim Matheson should have his voting privileges revoked

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

banks

Only got 3 of 16.
Aug 29, 2019
Is the 2nd place vote for Hyman really worse than the ESPN stooge who didn't vote McDavid as #1? This guy (Ryan S. Clark, whoever that is) voted Bobrovsky as #1, even though Bob didn't get any 1st or 2nd votes from anyone else. Only getting 3rd place twice.

Voting for Hyman is dumb. But he did get 15 goals in the playoffs, and it was just his vote for 2nd. It's not as unreasonable to throw out a homer/silly pick with the 2nd or 3rd place guy. I think it's worse to knowingly vote wrong for #1.

That ESPN fool ruined the word "unanimous" for McDavid for absolutely no justifiable reason.

hockeykicker

Global Moderator
Dec 3, 2014
Having Hyman on the ballot isn't crazy, but not having any of the Panthers players on the ballot at all is just asinine.
he probably just looked at the point totals of the playoffs and his three were top 4 excluding drai

Reactions: DaveG

Kahvi

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 4, 2007
Alberga
Has there ever been this unanimous voting for a major trophy, for winner and runner up? McDavid with all but one first place votes, Barkov with all but two second place votes.

Rebels57

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
What an embarrassment by Matheson. Absolute loser.

Is the 2nd place vote for Hyman really worse than the ESPN stooge who didn't vote McDavid as #1? This guy (Ryan S. Clark, whoever that is) voted Bobrovsky as #1, even though Bob didn't get any 1st or 2nd votes from anyone else. Only getting 3rd place twice.

Voting for Hyman is dumb. But he did get 15 goals in the playoffs, and it was just his vote for 2nd. It's not as unreasonable to throw out a homer/silly pick with the 2nd or 3rd place guy. I think it's worse to knowingly vote wrong for #1.

That ESPN fool ruined the word "unanimous" for McDavid for absolutely no justifiable reason.

Yes. It's worse.

ZDH

Mar 6, 2008
1 Bob 1st pick
0 Bob 2nd pick

Kind of interesting. 1 guy had Bob first and the next closest was Bob 3rd.

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011
There are multiple writers out there who thought that Auston Matthews was a better defensive player than Adam Lowry, I don't remember Matthews out there taking crucial d-zone draws, killing penalties, but you know media, and stats.

Reactions: Farmboy Patty

TooManyHumans

May 4, 2018
People keep mentioning not voting for anyone from the winning team but again the vote was during the third period of the final game. It was far from clear at that point who the winner would be. To me the dumbest part of all this is that they don't just wait for the game to end to vote. There's no good reason for it.

Dr Pepper

Dec 9, 2005
Sunny Etobicoke

McDavid didn't even bother to accept the award, I doubt he cares if the vote was unanimous - even if it should've been.

DearDiary

🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷
Aug 29, 2010
People keep mentioning not voting for anyone from the winning team but again the vote was during the third period of the final game. It was far from clear at that point who the winner would be. To me the dumbest part of all this is that they don't just wait for the game to end to vote. There's no good reason for it.

That makes no difference. Voters give voting scenarios with many different options like if X player scores 2 goals or if goalie has a shutout.

For example:
If Florida wins, Barkov scores 3 goals and McDavid doesn't register a point, then
1. Barkov
2. McDavid
3. Bob

So it makes no difference whether the game result was clear or not 10 minutes from the end of the game.

TooManyHumans

May 4, 2018
That makes no difference. Voters give voting scenarios with many different options like if X player scores 2 goals or if goalie has a shutout.

For example:
If Florida wins, Barkov scores 3 goals and McDavid doesn't register a point, then
1. Barkov
2. McDavid
3. Bob

So it makes no difference whether the game result was clear or not 10 minutes from the end of the game.
I don't understand the point of making it needlessly complicated. There's no reason they can't get votes from 17 people who are in the arena after the game is actually over.

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Okay Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago
Most points since Mario, most goals since Sakic, most assists by a d man ever

Somehow still an awful vote since none lifted the cup.

DearDiary

🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷
Aug 29, 2010
I don't understand the point of making it needlessly complicated. There's no reason they can't get votes from 17 people who are in the arena after the game is actually over.

Even with getting the votes early, the trophy presentation is still delayed. It's supposed to happen as soon as the handshakes end and both teams are still on the ice.

karltonian

Jan 1, 2023
This voting shows exactly why voting for the conn smythe before game 7 is over is stupid and should never happen again.

For example:
1. Barkov
2. McDavid
3. Bob

There is a lot that can happen that isn't measured in any stat.

bucks_oil

Aug 25, 2005
This is an absurd ballot. He thought there were three skaters good enough to be the second skater ever to win from a losing team? This is laughable.

They vote at the 2nd intermission, so obviously before the game is decided (which is silly). But arguably he thought one of those three guys were going to factor into tying up a one-goal game.

In my mind that was more "voting with my hope/heart" rather than "pure homer, they were better even in losing".

Still unprofessional though. Nobody likes Matheson in Edmonton anyway... needs to retire.

karltonian

Jan 1, 2023

IMO that person is the only one that ended up right. No way Mcdavid should be anywhere near unanimous after the loss. Bob absolutely put his stamp on this game and on the win. And he looked dialed in by the 2nd period. It really was going to matter what happened in the 3rd, this voting sucks and should never ever happen again.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad