JFresh: Fans Vote Top Forwards

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

teravaineSAROS

Jul 29, 2015
People are arguing about Matthews meanwhile we have Bedard at 25 after scoring 22 goals.

Chicago wasn't a good team but neither was San Jose and Granlund had similar production with significantly better defense and he didn't even make the list.

You can argue Ovechkin's too high but Bedard right now is even tooer higher.

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
Good list at the top.

First name that jumps out as really bad is Panarin - he should definitely be higher, in the top 10 I'd say.

I would also definitely slot Kucherov over Matthews too, but I figure +/- 1 rank isn't the end of the world. They got the top 5 names right (2-5 are usually interchangeable), which is a big plus vs many other lists you see.

I think Eichel is a bit high, so is Reinhart, but overall the top 20 is pretty solid.

People are arguing about Matthews meanwhile we have Bedard at 25 after scoring 22 goals.

Chicago wasn't a good team but neither was San Jose and Granlund had similar production with significantly better defense and he didn't even make the list.

You can argue Ovechkin's too high but Bedard right now is even tooer higher.

These lists are always a bit tricky when you try and decide if it's "where you rank today based on play last year" or "where you rank today based on expectations for next year", because it's 2 completely different ideas. Even if it's a mix of the 2 ideas (and it usually is), Bedard being high is fine.

Most people had him as a McDavid/Crosby level prospect or very close - and both of those players won rosses/harts in year 2. Bedard probably won't do that good - but the expectations are definitely very high for him in year 2.

NVious

Dec 20, 2022
Why is Matthews still considered a top 10 forward? No amount of early season stat padding will counter the pathetic playoff performances. A top 10 forward doesn't wither when it matters.
He's definitely a top 10 forward, but he's bordering on being the most disappointing playoff performer of all time. You still take him due to his immense potential, but who knows if he ever reaches it.

The guy goes from BY FAR the best scorer in the league and right there with Ovie in the last 20 years at 2g/60 to a paltry 1.15 and 32nd in the playoffs.

His playoff games:
55gp 23g 25a 48p

Tkachuk's last 56 playoff games:
21g 35a 56p

The other problem is his contract, with contract+playoffs factored in he may slip out of the top 10 because probably very few people would take him over say Tkachuk considering 4 million means a solid D man you can sign or a solid 3rd liner

Three On Zero

HF Designated Parking Instructor
Sponsor
Oct 9, 2012
Why not?

For me the question is who would you want for a throw everyone in the pool one season only redraft and I'd seriously consider taking a center who is the best goalscorer in the league good in the faceoff circle and also very good defensively even with his playoff resume and if you are really going to look at the 7 game sample with him obviously not being 100% over the larger regular season sample feel free.

also since no one has asked where would you rank AM then on this list?

Stamkos seems too high but he still was a PPG guy last year, Ovi at 56 seems to be the most egregious ranking IMO but let's hear more eh?
Draisaitl has also failed to perform away from McDavid, yet no peep about him being ranked where he is by fans.

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
Draisaitl has also failed to perform away from McDavid, yet no peep about him being ranked where he is by fans.
Really how so?

When Drai won the Hart with McDavid out his production actually went up and he is an elite player on his won even in a down season like this year.

We saw people saying the same thing about Matthews in his down season and look what he did this year.

Also I'm not sure why you are quoting this quote, is Drai in reference to AM, Stamkos or Ovi?

Three On Zero

Sponsor
Oct 9, 2012
Really how so?

When Drai won the Hart with McDavid out his production actually went up and he is an elite player on his won even in a down season like this year.

We saw people saying the same thing about Matthews in his down season and look what he did this year.

Also I'm not sure why you are quoting this quote, is Drai in reference to AM, Stamkos or Ovi?
He’s barely a ppg player with McDavid out of the lineup. A good player, but hardly the same player with and without the help.

And wasn’t this about Matthews? I didn’t feel like going that far back :laugh:

Joe n

Aug 12, 2019
He's definitely a top 10 forward, but he's bordering on being the most disappointing playoff performer of all time. You still take him due to his immense potential, but who knows if he ever reaches it.

The guy goes from BY FAR the best scorer in the league and right there with Ovie in the last 20 years at 2g/60 to a paltry 1.15 and 32nd in the playoffs.

His playoff games:
55gp 23g 25a 48p

Tkachuk's last 56 playoff games:
21g 35a 56p

The other problem is his contract, with contract+playoffs factored in he may slip out of the top 10 because probably very few people would take him over say Tkachuk considering 4 million means a solid D man you can sign or a solid 3rd liner
His points per game in the playoffs is higher than Tkachuk, Panarin, Barkov O'Reilly, Kopitar and Stamkos. He hasn't been great but a lot of guys haven't been either.

Reactions: wetcoast

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
He’s barely a ppg player with McDavid out of the lineup. A good player, but hardly the same player with and without the help.

Are you seriously taking a 5 game sample with a struggling team in a "down" season for Drai?

Maybe you didn't watch him in the playoffs then?
And wasn’t this about Matthews? I didn’t feel like going that far back :laugh:
So we have no idea why you used that quote to reply?

Aren't there bigger rankings issues than Drai at #5 and where would you have the Big german?

Three On Zero

Sponsor
Oct 9, 2012
Are you seriously taking a 5 game sample with a struggling team in a "down" season for Drai?

Maybe you didn't watch him in the playoffs then?

So we have no idea why you used that quote to reply?

Aren't there bigger rankings issues than Drai at #5 and where would you have the Big german?
He’s had more than 5 games without
McDavid, and in the playoffs he was still heavily sat beside McDavid. Still a good player but you have to realize why he’s good.

No real issues with any of the rankings as it’s a fan vote and you can interchange #3-#15 pretty easily based on how they are performing

ConnorMcMullet

#12 Colby Cave
Jun 10, 2017
I don’t know why people are surprised, of course it’ll be a reasonable list. With a fan vote of that size, any hot takes will be averaged out.

My main takeaway is that Rob Thomas is too low, he should not be behind guys like Brock Boeser.

NVious

Dec 20, 2022
His points per game in the playoffs is higher than Tkachuk, Panarin, Barkov O'Reilly, Kopitar and Stamkos. He hasn't been great but a lot of guys haven't been either.
Matthews really has one great series which was vs an older/worn down and tired Tampa, that's it.

The problem is that his talent level is the highest talent of the people you named and yet he is barely hanging with them.

For a guy with as much talent as he has, as much talent that surrounds him and as much money as he's making, underwhelming would be an understatement.

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
He’s had more than 5 games without
This season it was 5 games but you are the one that brought it up, maybe show the numbers?

McDavid, and in the playoffs he was still heavily sat beside McDavid. Still a good player but you have to realize why he’s good.
Drai is beyond good he is elite. RNH is good.
No real issues with any of the rankings as it’s a fan vote and you can interchange #3-#15 pretty easily based on how they are performing
I think there is a more distinct grouping of top 5ish then a grouping of 6-15 unless one is the type of person to change 3-15 rankings week by week.

TesseractPrice

Aug 1, 2019
Second and third violins on teams with superstar players as well as older vets are ranked too high. Top players on weaker teams are ranked too low

Robert Thomas has got to be the most underrated player in the league if we use this list as a barometer for fan rating. He was 19th in points among forwards and had 19 more points than the second guy on his team. At least 20-25 ranks too low IMO

Larkin should be ranked higher. He's a center in his prime and we saw just how impactful he was when he got injured

Kaprizov should also be a bit higher. Swap him with a 2nd violin saddled to a superstar and he'd have a run for the Art-Ross. He might be small and a winger, but he's one of the most skilled players in the league

Brady is too high, especially related to Stutzle, I don't get it all. It's not even close between the two, no? Am I underrating Brady and overrating Stutzle?

Raymond and Jarvis are also a bit low to my taste. Personally I'd have Raymond ahead of Kane

I'd have Suzuki a little higher but I'm a Habs some i'm a bit biased; he was quite good on the defence side of things too. He shouldn't be above Thomas though, that's for sure

Last edited:
Reactions: teravaineSAROS

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad