Value of: Jettisoning Darnell Nurse

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Sponsor
Oct 23, 2014
EDM can get back to the cup, but if they are to they need to get rid of this guy badly and retool the D a little bit around Bouchard and Ekholm. What would it take?

Would a team like Utah possibly with 10s of millions in cap space take him on for next to nothing from EDM?

After seeing the Jake Walman trade, looks like it might be bad news for EDM.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
EDM can get back to the cup, but if they are to they need to get rid of this guy badly and retool the D a little bit around Bouchard and Ekholm. What would it take?

Would a team like Utah possibly with 10s of millions in cap space take him on for next to nothing from EDM?

After seeing the Jake Walman trade, looks like it might be bad news for EDM.
Utah probably going to make traction in around 2 seasons. About the time when a few of their prospects have enough experience for them to make a move. Plus the structure of nurse contract is rough with nmc and mostly SB from years 5-8.

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
giphy.webp

lanceuppercut75

Feb 20, 2016
Toronto area
I think Nurse's ideal D partner would be somebody like Seider.

I don't know if DET would bite, but it would probably start with EDM having to swap Nurse and Ceci for Chiarot and Holl. Maybe a Copp and McLeod swap added in as well.

Whether that's a 3 for 3 trade, or whether somebody is adding a pick or prospect, I don't know.

Adding Nurse might create a LD log-jam... Edvinsson, Nurse, Johansson, Wallinder, Buium.

Garbageyuk

Dec 19, 2016
50% retention & a 1st for future considerations?
How does this help the Oilers? Under a 50% retention scenario, if they replace Nurse with anyone worth their salt, they are likely paying just as much or more cap-wise between Nurse’s retention and the new guy’s salary. That’s if they could add anyone at all with Bouchard’s raise coming up, which is unlikely. They’d be back at square one. Pointless.

There’s really no deal to be made involving Nurse.

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Sponsor
Oct 23, 2014
That contract is possibly the most unmoveable in the NHL.
It’s even buy out proof.
And the problem is that Nurse is already declining and is a bottom pairing D on the Oilers already.
Nurse is going nowhere.
Yikes....

ffsIBK1.png

Sounds and looks insane but could almost make the argument they should buy him out for those first 2 years savings and go all in, that might be their cup window anyway honestly.

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
Yikes....

ffsIBK1.png

Sounds and looks insane but could almost make the argument they should buy him out for those first 2 years savings and go all in, that might be their cup window anyway honestly.
It's an interesting scenario. Gives them their best chance to win next season, but also drastically reduced their chances of keeping Draisaitl, McDavid and Bouchard. They would be looking at 10M burned in 2030 as an example.

lanceuppercut75

Feb 20, 2016
Toronto area

I don't know if DET would bite, but it would probably start with EDM having to swap Nurse and Ceci for Chiarot and Holl. Maybe a Copp and McLeod swap added in as well.

Whether that's a 3 for 3 trade, or whether somebody is adding a pick or prospect, I don't know.

Adding Nurse might create a LD log-jam... Edvinsson, Nurse, Johansson, Wallinder, Buium.
To visualize this for EDM :

Hopkins - McDavid - Hyman
Kane - Draisaitl - Bourgault
(Henrique/Foegele) - Copp - Holloway
(UFA) - (UFA) - Ryan
13F = Lavoie
14F = Caggiula

Ekholm - Bouchard
Kulak - Broberg
(UFA) - Holl ---> dump ---> (UFA)
7D = Chiarot

Skinner
Rodrigue / Campbell

You can also immediately trade Holl (50% retained) to Anaheim for a 7th round pick or future considerations. Replace him with a 3rd pairing cheap UFA. Chiarot expires in 2026. Holl or the 50% retention on Holl expires in 2026. Copp expires in 2027. This does solve Edmonton's cap problems related to overpaying Nurse, but EDM has to wait 2 years to get the majority of the cap relief, and 3 years to get all of it. They can only get $1.7m cap relief (minus the cost of a league minimum replacement) right away by dumping Holl with full retention, which isn't much, but hey, it's something.

Reactions: Devilsfan118

Forge

Blissfully Mediocre
Jul 4, 2018
Vincent Clortho School for wizards
He's got a full no move and plays on a team that just lost the stanley cup finals in game 7 a year after losing in the second round and two years removed from a conference finals loss.

So he makes a lot of money on a competitive team in a market he clearly hasn't minded playing in.

I'm not sure how you get him to waive? I'd imagine that he'd like to stay on a competitive team and I'm not sure what competitive team is taking on this deal or can afford to take on this deal?

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010

The ideal partner for someone like Nurse would actually be...someone like Christopher Tanev. A guy who can sit there like..."i have absolutely no idea what my partner is doing right now or why, but i'm going to adjust myself to compensate and hedge against the impending calamity". And like Tanev, can process all that in a split second...because Nurse is capable of making instantly bad decisions.

He made Ben Hutton look competent for a minute. Hutton plays a lot like Nurse. Skates well skilled, does a lot of dynamic things. Also...sometimes...no clue what their brain misfunction is.

Tanev is good at covering for that.

Seider is dynamic and at times even overly aggressively himself. That's one of those "fuel + match" recipes that is hugely nope.

Bourne Endeavor

Apr 6, 2009
Montreal, Quebec
Despite all the criticism, I do think Nurse is decent.... at 6M. So if Edmonton were willing to hold salary and deal their 1st, they'd probably find a taker. It wouldn't be a good return but frankly, 3-4M in dead cap and 5M in usable cap is better.

I really don't know how Edmonton is going to make their cap work. You've got Draisaitl likely closing in on Mathews money (if not exceeding it), McDavid has to be in the 15M range and then you have Bouchard. Sure, that last one is a RFA but he's absolutely getting paid.

Reactions: Nanuuk

Devilsfan118

Sing us a song, you're the Schiano man
Jun 11, 2010
NJ
He's got a full no move and plays on a team that just lost the stanley cup finals in game 7 a year after losing in the second round and two years removed from a conference finals loss.

So he makes a lot of money on a competitive team in a market he clearly hasn't minded playing in.

I'm not sure how you get him to waive? I'd imagine that he'd like to stay on a competitive team and I'm not sure what competitive team is taking on this deal or can afford to take on this deal?
They gave him a full NMC in addition to this ridiculous term and AAV?

Jesus Christ was there any negotiation at all?

bringbacktheskate604

Jul 20, 2022
Don’t think Utah gonna be the dumping ground for teams that Arizona was
Those days are gone. I see a young owner who clearly has a passion for sports, a city gladly willing to help build an arena and fans that are going to be a great community.

They will be aggressive spenders and based on pretty much everyone who would know it's a great up and coming city players will gladly come to.

After years of the soul sucking depression in Arizona, this will be an easy team and city to root for.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad