Prospect Info: Jets Prospects

Jets

All hat, no cattle.
Sponsor
Oct 23, 2010
Winnipeg
How does Barlow have zero points again tonight... his team has already scored 6 goals?

Something feels very off about Barlow at this point.

If he continues having a down season, I could see him being quietly included in a deadline trade for a top 6 forward or top 4 D.

With the jets hot start though, they should be trying to land a big fish like Andersson from Calgary earlier and load up as quick as possible, but knowing Chevy they won't.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
How does Barlow have zero points again tonight... his team has already scored 6 goals?

Looks like a player that peaked physically in his draft year. He's just been going the wrong way since then.

I also think he might be part of a deadline deal as we have more then enough winger depth.

Reactions: hn777 and Aggie204

nobody imp0rtant

Registered pessimist
May 23, 2018
Looks like a player that peaked physically in his draft year. He's just been going the wrong way since then.

I also think he might be part of a deadline deal as we have more then enough winger depth.
Not a chance. A trade this early would mean Chevy admitting he reached for a package of Colby, but grabbed Limburger by mistake. :laugh:

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg

Agreed but other GMs will only value him as he is not what he was on his draft day. Saying that he might still have some value.

Reactions: surixon

JetsFan815

Replacement Level Poster
Jan 16, 2012

I was coming here to post the same. I was checking the scores and saw Oshawa scored 7 goals and thought "okay maybe Barlow finally gets going and got atleast a couple of points" Only to see the statline 0 points. 😭

I don't think it was bad pick at the time but man this is rough. I kinda wanted Quinton Musty in that draft but that guy is looking like a headcase sitting out on his junior team so not many good options that stand out from the 2nd half of the 1st round of that draft. We missed Sandin-Pellikka by 1 pick.

Reactions: hn777 and Buffdog

Thechozen1

Sep 8, 2021
Barlow needs to get his head on straight. He should be much much better at this stage.

I’m usually opposed to giving up on young players, but it’s looking like it’s time to cut bait. Use him (+ if necessary) to reel in a defensive upgrade that clearly pushes Fleury and Stanley (who haven’t looked bad) into press box injury replacement roles as opposed to everyday # 6 d-men.

Jetabre

Electric Ehlers
May 22, 2014
Winterpeg
I was coming here to post the same. I was checking the scores and saw Oshawa scored 7 goals and thought "okay maybe Barlow finally gets going and got atleast a couple of points" Only to see the statline 0 points. 😭

I don't think it was bad pick at the time but man this is rough. I kinda wanted Quinton Musty in that draft but that guy is looking like a headcase sitting out on his junior team so not many good options that stand out from the 2nd half of the 1st round of that draft. We missed Sandin-Pellikka by 1 pick.
For me Gabriel Perreault seemed like the obvious BPA at 18 with Sandin gone the pick before, and he fell to 23. In hindsight I think it would have been a better pick up..

Reactions: Mortimer Snerd

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
If we are giving up on him, what trade value does he have?

Teams take distressed prospects in trades all the time because they believe they can turn them around.

He still scores a lot last year, so my guess is probably around a mid 20's pick which is where our first would likely be at the deadline.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Agreed but other GMs will only value him as he is not what he was on his draft day. Saying that he might still have some value.

Sure, but he still potted 40 goals last year so I'd think he still has some value. But I'd argue he has less value to the Jets now as we have a lot of good wingers plus some centers in Lambert and Yager that could also play wing.

My guess it will come down to if the org values it's first round pick more then Barlow near the deadline.

If the reup Ehlers for instance that could also play a role.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014

There were quite a few good picks left; Oliver Moore, Oliver Bonk, Gabe Perreault, Calum Ritchie, Easton Cowan.

Teams take distressed prospects in trades all the time because they believe they can turn them around.

He still scores a lot last year, so my guess is probably around a mid 20's pick which is where our first would likely be at the deadline.

Not even that if he doesn't pick up the pace. And if he does pick it up, we don't need to trade him.

Reactions: Luc Labelle

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Barlow needs to get his head on straight. He should be much much better at this stage.

I’m usually opposed to giving up on young players, but it’s looking like it’s time to cut bait. Use him (+ if necessary) to reel in a defensive upgrade that clearly pushes Fleury and Stanley (who haven’t looked bad) into press box injury replacement roles as opposed to everyday # 6 d-men.
A few thoughts...

Barlow might still become a very good prospect, but something sure seems off at this point.

The Jets' best organizational depth is on wing, with Chibrikov and He both looking promising, and Walton as a dark horse. So it's a position of some strength to trade from.

It makes sense to wait on a trade because there's almost no chance that Barlow doesn't pick up his production, especially with the relatively high shot rate. If/when he breaks out of his scoring slump the Jets can better assess his potential and trade value. There are lots of examples of wingers that kind of slumped after being drafted, and then put it together. This his 4th full season in the OHL, so he might have some doldrums.

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011
A few thoughts...

Barlow might still become a very good prospect, but something sure seems off at this point.

The Jets' best organizational depth is on wing, with Chibrikov and He both looking promising, and Walton as a dark horse. So it's a position of some strength to trade from.

It makes sense to wait on a trade because there's almost no chance that Barlow doesn't pick up his production, especially with the relatively high shot rate. If/when he breaks out of his scoring slump the Jets can better assess his potential and trade value. There are lots of examples of wingers that kind of slumped after being drafted, and then put it together. This his 4th full season in the OHL, so he might have some doldrums.
If he watches Nino's goal Thursday night, and learns how to get greasier, he might be the replacement for him. Lots of time to work on elements of his game. The fact he stuck around later in camp makes me think that the Jets wanted him to understand the training and dedication of professionals. Though I wonder if Kevin He wouldn't be the guy you'd want in that spot, on Lowry's line, asusming the Jets build their core around the captain.

Buffdog

Feb 13, 2019
I have a feeling Barlow goes on a heater soon and finishes the season with 40-50 goals again.

And we wonder why we had given up on him so soon after a slow start on a new team.
He had a bit of a down year last year too

AtomicJets

Dec 20, 2014
Not sure about the trade talk for Barlow... I don't think the Jets have ever traded a prospect who was a first round pick, they tend to be pretty patient with these guys. He is also settling in with a new team and in fact leads the team in shots on goal, even if the points haven't come yet.

Let's keep in mind he just played his first NHL preseason games this year, and scored a goal. He's got work to do to round out his game but by all accounts he is doing that work. Goals come in bunches for guys like him and he's going to start scoring at some point here. Development isn't linear, there are ups and downs. There's plenty of time for Barlow to get where he needs to be to play for the Jets.

Reactions: Mortimer Snerd

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad