GDT: Jets @ Philadelphia Thursday February 8th at 6pm

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

JetsFan815

Replacement Level Poster
Jan 16, 2012
Last time we played Stan against Colorado it was apparently to showcase him to Philly scouts in attendance. Now Stan miraculously finds his way into the lineup in time for a Philly home game. It's like the universe is trying to say something.

SLAYER

Cilantro Connoisseur
Oct 26, 2012
Winnipeg
Unless we call up Heinola, Stanley is the only other defenseman on the roster. I've long been worried about the depth on our blueline. Incredible good health as masked the fact that the next man up is Stanley.

Oh yeah, I know. I still feel it is an unfortunate circumstance we find ourselves in for the next few games. Hoping we get to see Ville eventually.

Last time we played Stan against Colorado it was apparently to showcase him to Philly scouts in attendance. Now Stan miraculously finds his way into the lineup in time for a Philly home game. It's like the universe is trying to say something.

Stanley to the Flyers E5

ThinIce61

Jul 11, 2018
If I'm Chevy I appeal Dilly's suspension pronto
1707358776806.png

Agree.
Can't see by the interpretation of the rule that a 3 game suspension is justified.

1) No "intent" on Dillon's part
2) Acciari most definitely puts himself in a vulnerable position.
3) Acciari does change position making it near impossible for the hit to end up going any other way.

This is from a poster on the main boards. The comments are mine as I don't believe his answers would transfer over.

snowkiddin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 26, 2016
Hit was to the head, guy was injured, bleeding and having trouble balancing himself on his legs post hit. It was a pretty bad look for Dillon. Gotta accept it and move on.
I feel bad for Parros. Dude is in way over his head and clearly should’ve been removed years and years ago. It doesn’t surprise me he doesn’t have the ability to think critically about anything.

blues10

Dec 10, 2010
Canada
I feel bad for Parros. Dude is in way over his head and clearly should’ve been removed years and years ago. It doesn’t surprise me he doesn’t have the ability to think critically about anything.

Well , perhaps he took too many head shots. He does have an economics degree from an Ivy League school.

It’s the consistent inconsistency that is frustrating to fans of all NHL teams.

snowkiddin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 26, 2016
Well , perhaps he took too many head shots. He does have an economics degree from an Ivy League school.

It’s the consistent inconsistency that is frustrating to fans of all NHL teams.
Yup. Some guy (an Oilers fan!) on the main boards put it well.

“The hit was a one-game suspension, but Parros added a second for being a small market and tacked on another for being a Canadian team”

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011
View attachment 816175

Agree.
Can't see by the interpretation of the rule that a 3 game suspension is justified.

1) No "intent" on Dillon's part
2) Acciari most definitely puts himself in a vulnerable position.
3) Acciari does change position making it near impossible for the hit to end up going any other way.

This is from a poster on the main boards. The comments are mine as I don't believe his answers would transfer over.

Disagree.

1) The part that's not highlighted says "poor angle of approach" and that's what the video used to justify that criterion.

3) "immediately prior to or simultaneously with the hit" doesn't apply, according to the video, they acknowledged he leans forward but he does it with enough time before the hit that Dillon should be able to adjust.

I don't see how an appeal by the Jets does anything but maybe lower it to 2 games, which is probably not worth the effort.

What I don't like is how these videos don't explain how they arrived at the number of games. However, in this case, you can make a case for this hit satisfying the illegal hit to the head.

snowkiddin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 26, 2016
Disagree.

1) The part that's not highlighted says "poor angle of approach" and that's what the video used to justify that criterion.

3) "immediately prior to or simultaneously with the hit" doesn't apply, according to the video, they acknowledged he leans forward but he does it with enough time before the hit that Dillon should be able to adjust.

I don't see how an appeal by the Jets does anything but maybe lower it to 2 games, which is probably not worth the effort.

What I don't like is how these videos don't explain how they arrived at the number of games. However, in this case, you can make a case for this hit satisfying the illegal hit to the head.
Do they go into anymore depth on #3? I’m curious to hear their explanation on that.

ThinIce61

Jul 11, 2018
Do they go into anymore depth on #3? I’m curious to hear their explanation on that.
Of course not. As I think was mentioned DoPs is "spin the wheel, make the deal." You don't necessarily want to blame the player who took the hit but you also can't put the entire onus on the opposition player but you also have to acknowledge that Acciari was skating like he thought he was playing in a PeeWee league. Heck Acciari might have even had his eyes closed, JK.

Dillon can't just say 'oh this guys an idiot" I'll just let him skate right by me. Haven't the Jets had enough pylons play for them in their history.

I'm not going to explain it right but this play, like virtually every play on the ice happened over the course of a handful of seconds. Dillon trying to cover up for Pionk letting Acciari get by him and skates in such a way to cut Acciari off at the pass, as it were. One player shouldn't be expected to do all of the oppositions thinking for him as well as playing his own game.

I don't think I'd be clamoring for dillon's head and saying 3 games isn't enough if the situations were reversed either. But we've had situations happen against us, like Mary Hartman, Mary Hartman telling Perfetti flat out he was going to high dtick him in the face, the knee on knee on KFC that drew what, a little finger waggle from the POS on ice officials. something that happened to Ehlers I can't quite remember, etc.

In the end, the consistently inconsistent inconsistisies, something like that of Parros and the Clown College on ice officials is what gets to me.

snowkiddin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 26, 2016
Of course not. As I think was mentioned DoPs is "spin the wheel, make the deal." You don't necessarily want to blame the player who took the hit but you also can't put the entire onus on the opposition player but you also have to acknowledge that Acciari was skating like he thought he was playing in a PeeWee league. Heck Acciari might have even had his eyes closed, JK.

Dillon can't just say 'oh this guys an idiot" I'll just let him skate right by me. Haven't the Jets had enough pylons play for them in their history.

I'm not going to explain it right but this play, like virtually every play on the ice happened over the course of a handful of seconds. Dillon trying to cover up for Pionk letting Acciari get by him and skates in such a way to cut Acciari off at the pass, as it were. One player shouldn't be expected to do all of the oppositions thinking for him as well as playing his own game.

I don't think I'd be clamoring for dillon's head and saying 3 games isn't enough if the situations were reversed either. But we've had situations happen against us, like Mary Hartman, Mary Hartman telling Perfetti flat out he was going to high dtick him in the face, the knee on knee on KFC that drew what, a little finger waggle from the POS on ice officials. something that happened to Ehlers I can't quite remember, etc.

In the end, the consistently inconsistent inconsistisies, something like that of Parros and the Clown College on ice officials is what gets to me.
Yup, it also amuses me when that doofus says stuff like “so and so had to time to adjust.”

Does he not realize how fast this game is played at this level?

Reactions: Jets 31

raideralex99

Whiteout Is Coming.
Dec 18, 2015
West Coast
Disagree.

Nobody would have a problem with the suspension if it was the same for ALL teams.
Please explain Trouba's two handed to the Bruins player's head with no penalty no suspension but if he played for the Jets it would be at least 5 games.
Seriously I am sick of Parros's bias BS ... he should be fired asap.

Jets 31

This Dude loves the Jets and GIF's
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
The other thing that bugs me about this is once again a Jet that has never been suspended before gets multiple games. If players were all getting suspended for what the league considers dirty hits then i could live with that but unless you have your head in the sand you can clearly see all teams aren't equal.

Jet

Chibby!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
The other thing that bugs me about this is once again a Jet that has never been suspended before gets multiple games. If players were all getting suspended for what the league considers dirty hits then i could live with that but unless you have your head in the sand you can clearly see all teams aren't equal.
Example a: Hartman hit on Ehlers.

Clearly an intent to injure and he gets nothing

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011

"We acknowledge that Acciari is bent forward as he carries the puck up the ice, but he is in this position for some time and he does not materially change the position of his head or body that contributes to the head being the main point of contact." - as in, he's bent forward and doesn't adjust from that position again, not bending forward initially.

Video is here Dillon suspended 3 games for actions in Jets game | NHL.com

Reactions: hn777

GNP

Here Comes the Jets -look out hockey world !!!
Oct 11, 2016
Winnipeg
Hit was to the head, guy was injured, bleeding and having trouble balancing himself on his legs post hit. It was a pretty bad look for Dillon. Gotta accept it and move on.
I have to agree here, the guy was just about knocked out cold. The NHL cannot afford to be losing players to these kinds of hits, and for them to become commonplace. Jets fans are a little blinded by their alleigance to the hockey club. Everything boils down to money. It's like in the NFL when players were throwing quarterbacks to the ground, and many got severely injured. Fans come out to the arenas to see their favourite players, and keeping them healthy, keeps the cash rolling in. I guess they wanted to make an example of Dillon, and what won't be tolerated anymore -- head hits. Dillon is not really a dirty player, but he's very rough and tough, and went a little overboard on this hit. A lot of fans think the NHL is picking on smaller franchises, however you just can't let this kind of headhunting proliferate.

Reactions: cbcwpg

Ponds

ꮯꭺꭲꭺꮯꮮꭹꮪꮇ!
Nov 2, 2023
Anacita

Dug this up, eerily similar narrative surrounding the powerplay last year almost exactly to the day. Only difference being that the Jets PP had a bit of success to start the campaign in 22/23.

But there's more.

I finally got around to reading Teemu Selanne's book during the break. Two things stuck out towards the end. First thing was the reaffirmation that Bruce Boudreau has never been my cup of tea. The second was Teemu's view on what makes a great powerplay.

From page 263 "Powerplay is not science, it is an art. You trust your instincts, rely on your creativity."

If the Jets powerplay is comparable to a work of art, right now it's resembling a Banksy going through a shredder.

What was news to me was, during the last few seasons of his career, Teemu was at odds with Bruce regarding his playing time. Especially on PP1. He really emphasized his dissatisfaction not getting more minutes there. Keep in mind, even over the ripe old age of 40 Teemu could still produce. In his final NHL season, which he did not enjoy, he also played in his final Olympic tournament. He scored 4 goals and 2 assists for 6 points in 6 games and was named tournament MVP. He was no slouch fading away into the sunset. His frustration outlined in the book seemed warranted. (Despite my slight bias as I adore the fella)

What I didn't intend on figuring out was that during his tumultuous end of an NHL career in Anaheim, a certain someone was the assistant coach for the Ducks.

Brad Lauer.

Teemu never mentions him by name, as most of his anger was directed at Bruce, but I found this page interesting... (referenced above)

20240207_190544.jpg

255 powerplay goals, I'll consider his opinion. I'm not sure I've even scored that many times with my lovely wife.

then there's this...

Screenshot_20240207_193554_DuckDuckGo.jpg

Screenshot_20240207_172339_DuckDuckGo.jpg

and then there's this...

It seems like powerplay mediocrity follows this guy wherever he goes. What makes his stint Tampa even more damning is that after being dismissed by the Lightning in 2018, they went to 3 straight Stanley Cup finals starting the next season. Winning 2. Unfortunately Rick Bowness was also let go with him.

All of this might just be a coincidence, but where there's smoke, there's a Peter Tosh album. And where there's a shite powerplay, there's Brad Lauer. I'd like nothing more than the PP to start clicking and for this post to seem like the paranoid delusions of an armchair analyst. I prefer optimism, but all signs point to this trend continuing. My assumption is it was Rick Bowness who brought Lauer in to work with him again in Winnipeg. This is where you have to start wondering if the Jets organization will rue their commitment to loyalty.

With credit to Bones, I think his system suits the Jets, when the players are buying into it. A defense first approach, with a goalie like Helle on his game, is made for playoff hockey success. Like another poster pointed out recently, just because it's a defensive style doesn't mean the Jets can't generate offensive opportunities from it. Having the best 5v5 team in the league can't be understated. Putting aside Coach Rick's flaws, he's squeezed some impressive hockey out of this group, thus far.

Despite this, someone in the Jets org needs to determine what's going on with the special teams and make a tough call, soon. If it were up to me, Brad Lauer has to go. Like it or not, pro sports is now a business and it's ethos is what have you done for me lately? Look at how long Charlie Huddy was kept around. Inexcusable. Loyalty should be granted off results.

This is wishful thinking on my part and highly unlikely, but get Teemu Selanne in to coach the powerplay. If not, someone who shares his sentiments on how to make one work.

As for tomorrow, beat Philly. Don't lose 5 in a row. Let's get the feel good factor back.

Maybe even score on the man advantage.

snowkiddin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 26, 2016
"We acknowledge that Acciari is bent forward as he carries the puck up the ice, but he is in this position for some time and he does not materially change the position of his head or body that contributes to the head being the main point of contact." - as in, he's bent forward and doesn't adjust from that position again, not bending forward initially.

Video is here Dillon suspended 3 games for actions in Jets game | NHL.com
Thanks for the video. So, as I expected, no, they don’t explain it.

ThinIce61

Jul 11, 2018
I do think the Jets should appeal the suspension. Nothing to lose, it's not like the number of games will go up, well except it's the Jets so who knows if Parros gets a run in his nylons having his decision challenged and tacks on a couple more games.

The Blue Baron

Nov 13, 2015
Hoser Country

Dug this up, eerily similar narrative surrounding the powerplay last year almost exactly to the day. Only difference being that the Jets PP had a bit of success to start the campaign in 22/23.

But there's more.

I finally got around to reading Teemu Selanne's book during the break. Two things stuck out towards the end. First thing was the reaffirmation that Bruce Boudreau has never been my cup of tea. The second was Teemu's view on what makes a great powerplay.

From page 263 "Powerplay is not science, it is an art. You trust your instincts, rely on your creativity."

If the Jets powerplay is comparable to a work of art, right now it's resembling a Banksy going through a shredder.

What was news to me was, during the last few seasons of his career, Teemu was at odds with Bruce regarding his playing time. Especially on PP1. He really emphasized his dissatisfaction not getting more minutes there. Keep in mind, even over the ripe old age of 40 Teemu could still produce. In his final NHL season, which he did not enjoy, he also played in his final Olympic tournament. He scored 4 goals and 2 assists for 6 points in 6 games and was named tournament MVP. He was no slouch fading away into the sunset. His frustration outlined in the book seemed warranted. (Despite my slight bias as I adore the fella)

What I didn't intend on figuring out was that during his tumultuous end of an NHL career in Anaheim, a certain someone was the assistant coach for the Ducks.

Brad Lauer.

Teemu never mentions him by name, as most of his anger was directed at Bruce, but I found this page interesting... (referenced above)

View attachment 816223
255 powerplay goals, I'll consider his opinion. I'm not sure I've even scored that many times with my lovely wife.

then there's this...

View attachment 816225

View attachment 816161

and then there's this...

It seems like powerplay mediocrity follows this guy wherever he goes. What makes his stint Tampa even more damning is that after being dismissed by the Lightning in 2018, they went to 3 straight Stanley Cup finals starting the next season. Winning 2. Unfortunately Rick Bowness was also let go with him.

All of this might just be a coincidence, but where there's smoke, there's a Peter Tosh album. And where there's a shite powerplay, there's Brad Lauer. I'd like nothing more than the PP to start clicking and for this post to seem like the paranoid delusions of an armchair analyst. I prefer optimism, but all signs point to this trend continuing. My assumption is it was Rick Bowness who brought Lauer in to work with him again in Winnipeg. This is where you have to start wondering if the Jets organization will rue their commitment to loyalty.

With credit to Bones, I think his system suits the Jets, when the players are buying into it. A defense first approach, with a goalie like Helle on his game, is made for playoff hockey success. Like another poster pointed out recently, just because it's a defensive style doesn't mean the Jets can't generate offensive opportunities from it. Having the best 5v5 team in the league can't be understated. Putting aside Coach Rick's flaws, he's squeezed some impressive hockey out of this group, thus far.

Despite this, someone in the Jets org needs to determine what's going on with the special teams and make a tough call, soon. If it were up to me, Brad Lauer has to go. Like it or not, pro sports is now a business and it's ethos is what have you done for me lately? Look at how long Charlie Huddy was kept around. Inexcusable. Loyalty should be granted off results.

This is wishful thinking on my part and highly unlikely, but get Teemu Selanne in to coach the powerplay. If not, someone who shares his sentiments on how to make one work.

As for tomorrow, beat Philly. Don't lose 5 in a row. Let's get the feel good factor back.

Maybe even score on the man advantage.

Why the feck is this guy even here to begin with? Shitty me timbers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad