GDT: Jets @ Philadelphia Thursday February 8th at 6pm

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

raideralex99

Whiteout Is Coming.
Dec 18, 2015
West Coast

Dug this up, eerily similar narrative surrounding the powerplay last year almost exactly to the day. Only difference being that the Jets PP had a bit of success to start the campaign in 22/23.

But there's more.

I finally got around to reading Teemu Selanne's book during the break. Two things stuck out towards the end. First thing was the reaffirmation that Bruce Boudreau has never been my cup of tea. The second was Teemu's view on what makes a great powerplay.

From page 263 "Powerplay is not science, it is an art. You trust your instincts, rely on your creativity."

If the Jets powerplay is comparable to a work of art, right now it's resembling a Banksy going through a shredder.

What was news to me was, during the last few seasons of his career, Teemu was at odds with Bruce regarding his playing time. Especially on PP1. He really emphasized his dissatisfaction not getting more minutes there. Keep in mind, even over the ripe old age of 40 Teemu could still produce. In his final NHL season, which he did not enjoy, he also played in his final Olympic tournament. He scored 4 goals and 2 assists for 6 points in 6 games and was named tournament MVP. He was no slouch fading away into the sunset. His frustration outlined in the book seemed warranted. (Despite my slight bias as I adore the fella)

What I didn't intend on figuring out was that during his tumultuous end of an NHL career in Anaheim, a certain someone was the assistant coach for the Ducks.

Brad Lauer.

Teemu never mentions him by name, as most of his anger was directed at Bruce, but I found this page interesting... (referenced above)

View attachment 816223
255 powerplay goals, I'll consider his opinion. I'm not sure I've even scored that many times with my lovely wife.

then there's this...

View attachment 816225

View attachment 816161

and then there's this...

It seems like powerplay mediocrity follows this guy wherever he goes. What makes his stint Tampa even more damning is that after being dismissed by the Lightning in 2018, they went to 3 straight Stanley Cup finals starting the next season. Winning 2. Unfortunately Rick Bowness was also let go with him.

All of this might just be a coincidence, but where there's smoke, there's a Peter Tosh album. And where there's a shite powerplay, there's Brad Lauer. I'd like nothing more than the PP to start clicking and for this post to seem like the paranoid delusions of an armchair analyst. I prefer optimism, but all signs point to this trend continuing. My assumption is it was Rick Bowness who brought Lauer in to work with him again in Winnipeg. This is where you have to start wondering if the Jets organization will rue their commitment to loyalty.

With credit to Bones, I think his system suits the Jets, when the players are buying into it. A defense first approach, with a goalie like Helle on his game, is made for playoff hockey success. Like another poster pointed out recently, just because it's a defensive style doesn't mean the Jets can't generate offensive opportunities from it. Having the best 5v5 team in the league can't be understated. Putting aside Coach Rick's flaws, he's squeezed some impressive hockey out of this group, thus far.

Despite this, someone in the Jets org needs to determine what's going on with the special teams and make a tough call, soon. If it were up to me, Brad Lauer has to go. Like it or not, pro sports is now a business and it's ethos is what have you done for me lately? Look at how long Charlie Huddy was kept around. Inexcusable. Loyalty should be granted off results.

This is wishful thinking on my part and highly unlikely, but get Teemu Selanne in to coach the powerplay. If not, someone who shares his sentiments on how to make one work.

As for tomorrow, beat Philly. Don't lose 5 in a row. Let's get the feel good factor back.

Maybe even score on the man advantage.

WTF who in the hell would hire this guy with a record like that.
I think the person who hired him should be fired too.

Atoyot

Jul 19, 2013
I take back what I said in years past, maybe the NHL is a bit biased towards Jets. Even our board was shocked at 3

3 games is too long
What made Habs' fans feel like the league is biased towards the Jets? Not trying to be aggressive at all I'm just interested in what incidents you're thinking about.

Coffees

blackhawk down
Nov 12, 2021
Massachusetts
What made Habs' fans feel like the league is biased towards the Jets? Not trying to be aggressive at all I'm just interested in what incidents you're thinking about.
2019 playoffs, Jacob Trouba was suspended for two games for a hit on the Blues Robert Thomas, while Brad Marchand was only fined for punching the Scott Harrington in the back of the head comes to mind

Atoyot

Jul 19, 2013
2019 playoffs, Jacob Trouba was suspended for two games for a hit on the Blues Robert Thomas, while Brad Marchand was only fined for punching the Scott Harrington in the back of the head comes to mind
I misread your original post. I read "towards" as "in favor of". My bad!

Reactions: Ponds

Ponds

ꮯꭺꭲꭺꮯꮮꭹꮪꮇ!
Nov 2, 2023
Anacita
One mistake I made on my initial post regarding Brad Lauer, Tampa Bay didn't win the Cup the first season after he and Rick Bowness were gone. They did win the Presidents Trophy but were knocked out in the first round. It was the second season after.

Here's a few more snippets I found from old Reddit posts that might be of interest.

These are from - Ducks assistant Brad Lauer not expected to return alongside Bruce Boudreau and Trent Yawney.
Screenshot_20240208_012103_DuckDuckGo.jpg

Screenshot_20240208_012111_DuckDuckGo.jpg

These are from - Lightning announce they have hired former Ducks assistant Brad Lauer as an assistant to coach Jon Cooper.
Screenshot_20240208_012216_DuckDuckGo.jpg

Screenshot_20240208_012231_DuckDuckGo.jpg

All too familiar...

and last but not least
Screenshot_20240208_012631_DuckDuckGo.jpg

Jets 31

This Dude loves the Jets and GIF's
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
One mistake I made on my initial post regarding Brad Lauer, Tampa Bay didn't win the Cup the first season after he and Rick Bowness were gone. They did win the Presidents Trophy but were knocked out in the first round. It was the second season after.

Here's a few more snippets I found from old Reddit posts that might be of interest.

These are from - Ducks assistant Brad Lauer not expected to return alongside Bruce Boudreau and Trent Yawney.
View attachment 816266
View attachment 816268

These are from - Lightning announce they have hired former Ducks assistant Brad Lauer as an assistant to coach Jon Cooper.
View attachment 816269
View attachment 816270
All too familiar...

and last but not least
View attachment 816271
How does Lauer still have a job? Those Tampa teams had great offensive players and the Jets have more than enough talent to be way better on the PP. Fire Lauer immediately and let Arneil run the PP, it in no way could get worse.

kanadalainen

A pint of dark matter, please.
Jan 7, 2017
The 100th Meridian
Well, well, here we are -> another game day to exhort the mighty Jets.

giphy.gif

Things I want:

1. 2 (two) power play goals. For the Jets.
2. Lauer missing his bus transfer and becoming temporarily lost in the Pennsylvanian outback, perferably incarcerated in a remote storage facillity for crossing Amish-held property. Blindfolded, with no cellphone. OK, maybe give him a brown bag lunch with tuna salad, but thats it.
3. A match penalty/head shot/suspension-free game.
4. Ehlers to pound one home.
5. Give Money hands the lions share of face off opportunities.
6. Old # 88 to have a banger game.
7. No, no, no overpassing on the power play.
8. No whiffing on the power play.
9. No face off flubs on the power play.
10. 2 (two) 5 on 5 goals. Again, for the Jets. One goal by Perfecto.
11. No (zero) deep defensive zone turnovers.
12. A shutout for Hell dog.
13. Monohan with a goal and an assist.
14. At the end of the game, the team hits the airport and forgets to headcount Lauer. At 33 thousand feet, Bones recognizes his error, but his basal sympathetic outflow does not change, nor does his peak systolic blood pressure.

OK that'll do.

tumblr_mai9juAmTf1qk5jzn.gif

Now I'm ready. :)

Last edited:

kanadalainen

A pint of dark matter, please.
Jan 7, 2017
The 100th Meridian
tattooed-shakespeare-mathew-mcfarren.jpg

But wherefore do not you a mightier way
Make war upon this savage tyrant, Torts?
And fortify yourself to squelch Hathaway
With shots fired to strip Flyers’ gitch, make them hork?
Now stand you, at ales with your happiest of hour,
And many untipp’d gallons of alcohol yet undrunk
Needed to suffer Lauer’s waning skills, his power,
And Ski-Jump Bones knowledge painted subtle, not unthunk:
Aye, roll that phat 4th line, regain goals that rest unscored,
Which this, Bone's pencil, or my critical pen,
Schuffles to handle, Fly to rocket, dangle be it no chore,
KFC immolate thine chicken before the eyes of men.
To summon thy Monahan’d self and keep thyself not still,
And you will win handy, drawn by your own sweet skill.

BoneDocUK

Recovering hockey fandoc
Oct 1, 2015

View attachment 816266
View attachment 816268

View attachment 816269
View attachment 816270
All too familiar...

and last but not least
View attachment 816271

I feel like I'm having Charlie Huddy flashback nightmares.

BoneDocUK

Recovering hockey fandoc
Oct 1, 2015

Dug this up, eerily similar narrative surrounding the powerplay last year almost exactly to the day. Only difference being that the Jets PP had a bit of success to start the campaign in 22/23.

But there's more.

I finally got around to reading Teemu Selanne's book during the break. Two things stuck out towards the end. First thing was the reaffirmation that Bruce Boudreau has never been my cup of tea. The second was Teemu's view on what makes a great powerplay.

From page 263 "Powerplay is not science, it is an art. You trust your instincts, rely on your creativity."

If the Jets powerplay is comparable to a work of art, right now it's resembling a Banksy going through a shredder.

What was news to me was, during the last few seasons of his career, Teemu was at odds with Bruce regarding his playing time. Especially on PP1. He really emphasized his dissatisfaction not getting more minutes there. Keep in mind, even over the ripe old age of 40 Teemu could still produce. In his final NHL season, which he did not enjoy, he also played in his final Olympic tournament. He scored 4 goals and 2 assists for 6 points in 6 games and was named tournament MVP. He was no slouch fading away into the sunset. His frustration outlined in the book seemed warranted. (Despite my slight bias as I adore the fella)

What I didn't intend on figuring out was that during his tumultuous end of an NHL career in Anaheim, a certain someone was the assistant coach for the Ducks.

Brad Lauer.

Teemu never mentions him by name, as most of his anger was directed at Bruce, but I found this page interesting... (referenced above)

View attachment 816223
255 powerplay goals, I'll consider his opinion. I'm not sure I've even scored that many times with my lovely wife.

then there's this...

View attachment 816225

View attachment 816161

and then there's this...

It seems like powerplay mediocrity follows this guy wherever he goes. What makes his stint Tampa even more damning is that after being dismissed by the Lightning in 2018, they went to 3 straight Stanley Cup finals starting the next season. Winning 2. Unfortunately Rick Bowness was also let go with him.

All of this might just be a coincidence, but where there's smoke, there's a Peter Tosh album. And where there's a shite powerplay, there's Brad Lauer. I'd like nothing more than the PP to start clicking and for this post to seem like the paranoid delusions of an armchair analyst. I prefer optimism, but all signs point to this trend continuing. My assumption is it was Rick Bowness who brought Lauer in to work with him again in Winnipeg. This is where you have to start wondering if the Jets organization will rue their commitment to loyalty.

With credit to Bones, I think his system suits the Jets, when the players are buying into it. A defense first approach, with a goalie like Helle on his game, is made for playoff hockey success. Like another poster pointed out recently, just because it's a defensive style doesn't mean the Jets can't generate offensive opportunities from it. Having the best 5v5 team in the league can't be understated. Putting aside Coach Rick's flaws, he's squeezed some impressive hockey out of this group, thus far.

Despite this, someone in the Jets org needs to determine what's going on with the special teams and make a tough call, soon. If it were up to me, Brad Lauer has to go. Like it or not, pro sports is now a business and it's ethos is what have you done for me lately? Look at how long Charlie Huddy was kept around. Inexcusable. Loyalty should be granted off results.

This is wishful thinking on my part and highly unlikely, but get Teemu Selanne in to coach the powerplay. If not, someone who shares his sentiments on how to make one work.

As for tomorrow, beat Philly. Don't lose 5 in a row. Let's get the feel good factor back.

Maybe even score on the man advantage.

Great post, very informative, lots to think about. Thanks for taking the time to compose it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad