Jets in the Standings at end of '25 season.

How many points will Jets finish with this season?

• 108 points or above

Votes: 3 6.3%
  • 102 to 107 points

Votes: 8 16.7%
  • 97 to 101 points

Votes: 29 60.4%
  • 91 to 95 points

Votes: 7 14.6%
  • 90 points or fewer

Votes: 1 2.1%

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
I think it's fair to predict 109 points

Lost Dillon, inferior backup
Miller and Heinola make up for Dillon including the addition by subtraction of Schmidt.

We need Ehlers and Vilardi to stay healthy, and steps forward from Perfetti and Barron

I reckon we'll score a bit more, and allow more as well.

The D corps might be about even, as you suggest. The inferior backup could cost 10 games. That may be extreme but I think costing us 5 Ws is realistic. If Helle is also just a little bit less Vezinabuyck, there go another 2-3 games. That could be about 15 pts. Fewer games missed by Ehlers and Vilardi might get some of those points back. So I am guessing right around 99-100 pts.

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
I think low 100s

Hard to go 110+ pts back to back so
expect a scale back (20% of 110+ pt teams repeat since 05)

Middle 6 is v good. hoping the teams concerted effort on d continues.

Helle is the best regular season goalie in the NHL, and keeps the team's floor high, as in I can't see them going below 90 pts.

I do think some teams in the central will have improve so maybe some more points stolen here and there.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Currently, sure. But in May it'll be hindsight. I think that's how that works.

No. That is not how it works. Hindsight is seeing it only after it happened. That is the benefit of hindsight. You can be right 100% of the time. :)

Jet

Chibby!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
The D corps might be about even, as you suggest. The inferior backup could cost 10 games. That may be extreme but I think costing us 5 Ws is realistic. If Helle is also just a little bit less Vezinabuyck, there go another 2-3 games. That could be about 15 pts. Fewer games missed by Ehlers and Vilardi might get some of those points back. So I am guessing right around 99-100 pts.
I'm an eternal optimist! I think a lot has to go right for us to hit 109 but I believe - mostly because it's more fun that way :P

Hank Chinaski

May 29, 2007
Northern MB
I went with 97 to 101 points.

No crystal ball handy, but there’s the same dependency on Hellebuyck as the last 4-5 season. If he continues to play at a Vezina level, we’re comfortably in the playoffs, and maybe even flirting with 110ish points. If he regresses towards league average SV%, it’s going to be tough to crack 95 points and we’re on the outside looking in.

Downgrade at backup G creates even less margin for error.

I’m trying to think of other variables that may push the needle. Vilardi staying healthy would be huge. Maybe a breakout year from Perfetti? Heinola finally hitting his stride as a top 4 dman?

Overall with how this team is constructed, it keeps coming back to goaltending. Some teams can rise above middling goaltending; I don’t see any chance of that happening for the Jets this season.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
I'm an eternal optimist! I think a lot has to go right for us to hit 109 but I believe - mostly because it's more fun that way :P

To each his own. I find unmet expectations anything but fun. I do not enjoy disappointment and frustration. :laugh:

I think Jets are 90% of a good team. That last 10% is elusive.

Reactions: wraithsonwings

jiho

Apr 30, 2012
I think major regression in the goals against is coming. The second pairing of Sandberg and Pionk makes me nervous. They will miss Dillon. Brossoit was the best back up in the league last year.
They need career years from Ehlers and Perfetti so they at least have a second line to help scoring.
Out of the Jets first 11 games 9 are against teams that were not in the playoffs last year. If they do not get off to a fast start I could see the Jets not making the playoffs.
I looked at the other teams in the conference and there are a lot of bad rosters. I say Minnesota passes the Jets this season and the Jets finish 5th in the Central but beat out LA for the second wildcard. Put me down for 96 points.

Reactions: Mortimer Snerd

BoneDocUK

Recovering hockey fandoc
Oct 1, 2015
Between 97 and 101 IMO -- these were well-chosen bands, btw, @Mortimer Snerd.

Not sure the Jets will be much worse overall than last year, but I think some other teams in the Central are likely better, and while Arniel may turn out to be a brilliant HC in his second run, not sure he's the supermotivator Rick was, though maybe he'll prove to be a superior tactician or roster manager.

Still think they're a playoff team, still think they'll do well overall but don't see another 110 point or Jennings season incoming.

Of course, this is one case where I'd much rather be proven wrong than right.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
Thanks Mort for doing this poll.

I will go with 97 points.

Reasoning:

The biggest differences will be:

#1) I expect our back up goalie “results” to regress to the mean. Last season we yielded 32 points from 23 games and I think we will yield 20 points from 20 games this season.

#2) The second biggest factor will be a drop off in our D core. Two parts to it, first off we turned over Dillion and Schmidt and that is going to hurt. Now Schmidt was overpaid and had to go but he and Samberg were so good on the bottom pair. Next thing is how healthy our D core was last season…..Morrissey played 81 games, DeMelo 82 games, Pionk 82 games, Dillon 77 games, and Samberg 78 games. Our top 5 were pretty much in tact all season and I don’t think I have seen that before.

#3) Our team defense and goaltending will not be able to do what they did last season. I don’t think the level of buy in from the forwards will be at the same level, I don’t think our D core will be as healthy/good, and I expect our Goaltending to drop off while still being our strength.

I think we will find our way into the playoffs.

I still think we will have a solid season but outside our putrid special teams last season, so much went right when it came to the Jets being the hardest team in the league to get a goal on.

Jets 31

This Dude loves the Jets and GIF's
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
The Central is going to be tough this year, Dallas, Colorado and i think Nashville will be better too. Having said that if we have Conner and Vilardi for most of the year i think we will be in a battle for 1st to 3rd . We just have to get our shit together come playoff time.

enuffidiotsalready

Nov 25, 2019
The Central is going to be tough this year, Dallas, Colorado and i think Nashville will be better too. Having said that if we have Conner and Vilardi for most of the year i think we will be in a battle for 1st to 3rd . We just have to get our shit together come playoff time.
yes. and then hand out shit burgers to the other teams. great plan and I'm with it!!!!

• Haha
Reactions: Mortimer Snerd

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad