Speculation: Jets General Rumour, Trade, Free Agent and Waiver Speculation 15-16 Part 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Name one plausible trade you would do to help the Jets.

ROR straight up for Buff.

That's my ideal trade.

Not for me. It's a lateral trade, at best.

I don't think there's any way that we will be able to extend ROR, so if we trade Buff I would rather get longer term assets. Otherwise, might as well keep Buff for next year and trade him at the deadline as a rental to a contender. I have a feeling that Buff would be more valuable to the Jets next year than ROR, and would likely fetch as much at ROR at the trade deadline.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Not for me. It's a lateral trade, at best.

I don't think there's any way that we will be able to extend ROR, so if we trade Buff I would rather get longer term assets. Otherwise, might as well keep Buff for next year and trade him at the deadline as a rental to a contender. I have a feeling that Buff would be more valuable to the Jets next year than ROR, and would likely fetch as much at ROR at the trade deadline.

In a way yes but it is trading from a position of strength to fill a position of weakness. Only works if it is a sign and trade though. Not interested in ROR unless we are assured we can extend him but I would rather give big money and long term to him than to Buff.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
In a way yes but it is trading from a position of strength to fill a position of weakness. Only works if it is a sign and trade though. Not interested in ROR unless we are assured we can extend him but I would rather give big money and long term to him than to Buff.

No chance for a sign and trade with ROR. He's determined to be a UFA to decide his future location, term and salary.

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011

Agreed, neither team would do it without first getting a deal done in principal before hand. Without agreements beforehand it's a lateral move for both. Buff is a luxury right now imo, we desperately need forwards and more talent up front. ROR plays our kind of hockey and he's much younger than Buff.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg

I'm just curious but how does adding ROR address an area of weakness? He seems to be more of what we have, good two-way centre. I personally am not looking to add a centre unless we are adding a star C which ROR is not.

Tom ServoMST3K

In search of a Steinbach Hero
Nov 2, 2010
What's your excuse?
Frolik was always going to FA

Hes prob a top 5 winger on July 1

latest

Hunter368

Nov 8, 2011
I'm just curious but how does adding ROR address an area of weakness? He seems to be more of what we have, good two-way centre. I personally am not looking to add a centre unless we are adding a star C which ROR is not.

I'm not trying to convince you of anything, but I just wanted to point out his plays all three forward positions.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
No chance for a sign and trade with ROR. He's determined to be a UFA to decide his future location, term and salary.

Yeah, I know that. We are discussing a 'what if'. I have been against ROR trade proposals in the past for exactly that reason. But if the Avs wanted Buff and if they were not on his 'no go' list I would be interested in the deal if we could negotiate a deal with ROR prior to accepting the trade. Lots of big ifs. Highly unlikely.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014

He is a forward. We need forwards. Everybody is anxious to shift D from side to side, which is not easy but balk at switching Cs to wings which is easy.

VictoriaJetsFan

Mar 24, 2013
I think sometimes people forget Brian Little played right wing and had one of his best seasons there.

If and ROR came to us and actually signed an extension, how does a Ladd-ROR-Little line grab everyone?

it certainly would be one of the best defensive lines in the whole league.

ROR reminds me of a western conference Patrice Bergeron.

Maurice could do very good things with that.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
I think sometimes people forget Brian Little played right wing and had one of his best seasons there.

If and ROR came to us and actually signed an extension, how does a Ladd-ROR-Little line grab everyone?

it certainly would be one of the best defensive lines in the whole league.

ROR reminds me of a western conference Patrice Bergeron.

Maurice could do very good things with that.

Yeah ..... open the door and tell them to go.:laugh: :)

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
I'm not trying to convince you of anything, but I just wanted to point out his plays all three forward positions.

I get that, but from a stylistic perspective he is also pretty redundant. We have plenty of two-way play makers on the roster. What we need if we trade Buff is more of a dynamic finisher imo.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
I get that, but from a stylistic perspective he is also pretty redundant. We have plenty of two-way play makers on the roster. What we need if we trade Buff is more of a dynamic finisher imo.

I didn't get that. It is a point. We will be adding Ehlers sometime soon but another goal scorer would be nice. My preference would be that everyone, playmaker, sniper or whatever play a good 2 way game though. How many goals could Little score at RW with ROR?

VictoriaJetsFan

Mar 24, 2013
A Lad-ROR-Litle line would be the safe defensive line that you keep together for a few months until Ehlers, Petan, Kosmachuk get comfortable and find their offensive groove.

I think there would be alot of options after that.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
Here we are a week from the draft and only 7 forwards are under contract..

People have quoted Chevy as saying 'its something we can revisit in the off-season' regarding previous negotiations from the trade deadline..

I think he has some big plans...I think we see some really significant change..work will be painful next week.

That's not quite true though similar things get posted over and over again. As of this moment the Jets have 8 forwards signed to 1 way contracts. We have 20+ forwards signed to contracts. Be it, many of those players are not yet ready for the NHL, or will never play in the NHL. But out of that group there is a potential of at least 4 of them to be NHL players within a year or 2 (Ehlers, Copp, Petan, Armia). Let's say 2 of them make the team this season. We really only need to sign 3 more forwards. It sounds like we are getting close on Stafford by all the hints they are dropping on 1290. I like that Chevy is non committal on the last couple forward roster spots as there are likely a lot of trade discussions taking place as we speak. On top of that I will make a meaningless virtual bet we land at least 1 forward through trade or UFA that is totally off everyone's radar. Honest everyone not rushing out to sign any old player is a good thing.

VictoriaJetsFan

Mar 24, 2013
That's not quite true though similar things get posted over and over again. As of this moment the Jets have 8 forwards signed to 1 way contracts. We have 20+ forwards signed to contracts. Be it, many of those players are not yet ready for the NHL, or will never play in the NHL. But out of that group there is a potential of at least 4 of them to be NHL players within a year or 2 (Ehlers, Copp, Petan, Armia). Let's say 2 of them make the team this season. We really only need to sign 3 more forwards. It sounds like we are getting close on Stafford by all the hints they are dropping on 1290. I like that Chevy is non committal on the last couple forward roster spots as there are likely a lot of trade discussions taking place as we speak. On top of that I will make a meaningless virtual bet we land at least 1 forward through trade or UFA that is totally off everyone's radar. Honest everyone not rushing out to sign any old player is a good thing.

I stand corrected...8 forwards. I agree with you we have a very nice group of young guys coming to fill those spots. It's just that you don't know how long exactly its going to take.

I find here there is a segment of Jets fans who get highly concerned about the forward depth. At worst, its going to be a temporary issue. I can't see it lasting beyond the 15-16 season.

mcpw

WPG
Jan 13, 2015
KingBogo,

technically we only have 6 forwards on 1W: Ladd, Little, Wheeler, Perreault, Thorburn, Peluso. ELCs are 2W :nod:

Hunter368

Nov 8, 2011

Example of a dynamic finisher who is available (I hope your not thinking Kessel)? I'm just curious who you have in mind. Thx

IMO Buffs value is enough to get a Elite goal scorer who is decent age with term. I don't think Buffs value is enough to get us ROR without a small plus by the Jets. IMO ROR gives us a very good two way forward who gets us 50-60 pts while making everyone around him more productive.

Hunter368

Nov 8, 2011
KingBogo,

technically we only have 6 forwards on 1W: Ladd, Little, Wheeler, Perreault, Thorburn, Peluso. ELCs are 2W :nod:

I see you counting Thor and Peluso as forwards......:sarcasm:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad