Friedman: Jets and Rutger McGroarty are not talking - his name is coming up in trade talks

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

TOCap1

Nov 14, 2009
Toronto
Think the Leafs are dead here now that the #23 is gone and they don't have a 1st next year.
Yeah more than likely. But also now that the draft has passed maybe The Jets try to use him to build to their team this year. If they trade him I’m going to guess it isn’t for t 25 1st + . He’s either a throw in for a bigger package or for a young NHL ready player.

Nucker42

Nov 27, 2011
Hoglander
Rights to Jacob Truscott
2nd in 2027

For

McGroarty​

Jets get a 25 goal scorer, still young on a very cheap contract. Couple extra pieces.

Baksfamous112

Jul 21, 2016
It would be a prospect RHD with top 4 potential, Jets also need a 2C so similar answer a prospect with 2c potential.
But McGroarty is projected as a top 6 winger, so why would a team that has a potential top 4 RHD or top 6 C move that guy for McGroarty?

I’m not trying to be a smart ass so sorry if my post come as one but I’m just trying to find the logic here because I would be pissed if my team moved a potential top 6 C/top 4 RHD for a potential top 6 winger given how hard it is to find those guys.

Heldig

Apr 12, 2002
BC
But McGroarty is projected as a top 6 winger, so why would a team that has a potential top 4 RHD or top 6 C move that guy for McGroarty?

I’m not trying to be a smart ass so sorry if my post come as one but I’m just trying to find the logic here because I would be pissed if my team moved a potential top 6 C/top 4 RHD for a potential top 6 winger given how hard it is to find those guys.
Because said team values other aspects of McGroarty's game.

Because said team is stacked at that position in their pipeline but need grit and leadership (that is also highly talented).

Reactions: SCP Guy

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011

Never came off that way, but I also never said a 1 for 1 trade either, depends on how much potential the other prospect has right? I mean we can all see the significant interest Rutger has drawn from other GM's (insiders comments not mine, when has a prospect drawn on HFB nearly 1300 posts and 52 pages of comments/offers just on the main boards alone never mind teams boards), so clearly GM's are very confident in Rutger grit, skill and leadership skills.

I've seen fans offer UFA rental's, bottom pairing D, AHL career/bust prospects, etc, clearly his value is above all that. Reports from Friendman sounds like Chevy was happy with the 13th pick and that a couple teams were close to meeting that demand, so other GM's sound like might be in the 14-20th pick type of value IMO by reports and based on his comments how teams were close to meeting that ask and if certain players hadn't fallen in the draft Rutger might already been traded. So due to players falling in the draft sounds like Chevy has to go to plan B.

Plan B likely is 2025 pick or prospect similar value (which is pretty good prospect) or package him with an extended Ehlers in a trade which would bring back a very nice return. I highly suspect he will be traded this summer, but if any GM would hold out until next year to get his value it would be Chevy the Master Grinder in trades.

Digitalbooya

By order of the Peaky Blinders
Sponsor
Jul 10, 2010
Wisconsin
I doubt we will get a rhd, we probably just go after the best prospect/picks or package of prospect/picks offered atp
I’ve popped in and out of this thread several times at different points. Feels like I see you rejecting everything. Flipping the script here, what specific players in a trade would you find acceptable?

gojetsgo

Nov 1, 2015
I’ve popped in and out of this thread several times at different points. Feels like I see you rejecting everything. Flipping the script here, what specific players in a trade would you find acceptable?
I would have been ok with the 13th pick tbh, a lot of the things I have said no to fans of other teams said the jets wouldn't accept either... I don't really care to make up fantasy proposals but I know that packages around lhd or late 1sts or vets with short term will not be of interest

Baksfamous112

Jul 21, 2016
Never came off that way, but I also never said a 1 for 1 trade either, depends on how much potential the other prospect has right? I mean we can all see the significant interest Rutger has drawn from other GM's (insiders comments not mine, when has a prospect drawn on HFB nearly 1300 posts and 52 pages of comments/offers just on the main boards alone never mind teams boards), so clearly GM's are very confident in Rutger grit, skill and leadership skills.

I've seen fans offer UFA rental's, bottom pairing D, AHL career/bust prospects, etc, clearly his value is above all that. Reports from Friendman sounds like Chevy was happy with the 13th pick and that a couple teams were close to meeting that demand, so other GM's sound like might be in the 14-20th pick type of value IMO by reports and based on his comments how teams were close to meeting that ask and if certain players hadn't fallen in the draft Rutger might already been traded. So due to players falling in the draft sounds like Chevy has to go to plan B.

Plan B likely is 2025 pick or prospect similar value (which is pretty good prospect) or package him with an extended Ehlers in a trade which would bring back a very nice return. I highly suspect he will be traded this summer, but if any GM would hold out until next year to get his value it would be Chevy the Master Grinder in trades.

The original post I was responding to said that picks were not something Winnipeg needed or wanted, hence my reply. As you said, we now know that Winnipeg values McGroarty at around the 13OA pick and Minny backing out last minute to draft Buium makes sense since he has legit top pairing potential although unfortunate for Winnipeg. It's much easier for a team to trade a pick than a young RHD or C that they developed over the last couple of years and has the potential to play in the top 4 on D or top 6. These young players usually don't get traded, so I thought the ask on these boards is unrealistic.

I just don't see a realistic path where McGroarty returns a *real* potential top 4 RHD or 2C. Adding him to a package with Ehlers is also a pretty weird mix and usually doesn't capture the full value of both players.

Columbus, for one. But the conversation starts with Ceulemans not Jiricek, and I doubt the Jets are interested then.

Columbus top 2 RHD consists of a 29 and 32 years old - None of which are high-end D. Your prospect pool as a legit top pairing potential RHD and that's it. Ceulemans most likely top as a bottom pairing D if he makes it.

I would hardly consider that being stacked at a position.

I would have been ok with the 13th pick tbh, a lot of the things I have said no to fans of other teams said the jets wouldn't accept either... I don't really care to make up fantasy proposals but I know that packages around lhd or late 1sts or vets with short term will not be of interest
Yes but that didn't materialize and getting a 2025 pick now, which could/should be anywhere from 15-32 is not exactly a return Winnipeg should go for as the risk of getting a later 2025 is quite high.

So what's next?

• Haha
Reactions: Lorenzo1000

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011
The original post I was responding to said that picks were not something Winnipeg needed or wanted, hence my reply. As you said, we now know that Winnipeg values McGroarty at around the 13OA pick and Minny backing out last minute to draft Buium makes sense since he has legit top pairing potential although unfortunate for Winnipeg. It's much easier for a team to trade a pick than a young RHD or C that they developed over the last couple of years and has the potential to play in the top 4 on D or top 6. These young players usually don't get traded, so I thought the ask on these boards is unrealistic.

I just don't see a realistic path where McGroarty returns a *real* potential top 4 RHD or 2C. Adding him to a package with Ehlers is also a pretty weird mix and usually doesn't capture the full value of both players.
Does anyone care what fans asks or offers from either side are? I've seen a lot of unrealistic offers from both the POV of too high and too low from fans of all teams for Rutger (my point is there is lots of silly posts both high and low). I mean look at the PLD situation, a lot of posts of what the Jets would get as a return on him were "nothing", 2nd rd pick if your lucky, here is our bust prospect & 2rd pick you should be happy type of comments and in the end PLD returned a very big return as many said he would due to the demand & interest from multi teams. I haven't placed any specific value on him (Rutger), I've stated a range only of value and highly expect it will be met based on the demand, interest by multi teams and Chevy is the Master of grinding down other GM's.

Last edited:

Beendair Donedat

Don’t be a Jimmy Juice Arse
Dec 29, 2010
Truth or Consequences, NM
Would there be any interest in Bogdan Konyushkov (Habs prospect) from Winnipeg?

21 year old, right hand shot defenseman, playing in the KHL, captain of his team - Torpedo Nizhny Novgorod - and a guy that his coach Igor Larionov relies upon heavily, playing over 24 minutes a game. In fact Larionov said (this year) that he could play in the NHL and be a key defenseman. Has a very good shot, sees the ice well, physical but needs to improve his skating stride and bulk up.

Kind of a well rounded defenseman in that he can play the powerplay, he can kill penalties, he plays a shutdown role and moves the puck well. Extremely confident, he breaks up plays and doesn’t panic, holding the puck to make a safe outlet and controlled break out passes. Projects to be a top 4 defender when he makes the jump to North America.

Say a package of Konyushkov, Justin Barron, the Calgary 1st rounder for 2025, and a 2025 3rd round pick (one of Devils or Canucks) for McGroarty?

You’d be getting a good right hand shot defenseman prospect, a decent right hand shot defender that can slot in on your bottom pair now and add some scoring, recoup a 1st rounder while adding another 3rd rounder.

McGroarty makes the Habs bigger and more skilled up front, adding an element they were lacking previously.

And as always, I’m simply asking if Jets fans think something like that would be close in value for their asset, not looking to troll or start a pissing match with anyone.

Reactions: hn777

Buffdog

Feb 13, 2019

21 year old, right hand shot defenseman, playing in the KHL, captain of his team - Torpedo Nizhny Novgorod - and a guy that his coach Igor Larionov relies upon heavily, playing over 24 minutes a game. In fact Larionov said (this year) that he could play in the NHL and be a key defenseman. Has a very good shot, sees the ice well, physical but needs to improve his skating stride and bulk up.

Kind of a well rounded defenseman in that he can play the powerplay, he can kill penalties, he plays a shutdown role and moves the puck well. Extremely confident, he breaks up plays and doesn’t panic, holding the puck to make a safe outlet and controlled break out passes. Projects to be a top 4 defender when he makes the jump to North America.

Say a package of Konyushkov, Justin Barron, the Calgary 1st rounder for 2025, and a 2025 3rd round pick (one of Devils or Canucks) for McGroarty?

You’d be getting a good right hand shot defenseman prospect, a decent right hand shot defender that can slot in on your bottom pair now and add some scoring, recoup a 1st rounder while adding another 3rd rounder.

McGroarty makes the Habs bigger and more skilled up front, adding an element they were lacking previously.

And as always, I’m simply asking if Jets fans think something like that would be close in value for their asset, not looking to troll or start a pissing match with anyone.
I think that's a decent offer as a Jets fan

I also floated Beck and Barron for McG + (maybe a 3rd?)

I guess it depends on whether or not chevy is hellbent on getting a 1 for 1 deal with an equivalent piece coming back

Reactions: Beendair Donedat

FlappyGiraffe

Go Jets Go
Sponsor
Jul 3, 2015
Winnipeg

Not familiar with Bogdan but if he's ready to come over and step in he could be an interesting piece.

The Calgary 1st is decent, Barron probably goes on waivers for us so I'm not as hot on him.

Reactions: Beendair Donedat

Buffdog

Feb 13, 2019
Not familiar with Bogdan but if he's ready to come over and step in he could be an interesting piece.

The Calgary 1st is decent, Barron probably goes on waivers for us so I'm not as hot on him.
I think Barron is an upgrade on the 6 D we have slotted in as of right now

Jomo Demelo
Samberg Pionk (fingers crossed their analytics hold)
Heinola Barron
Stanley

That bottom pair is an improvement over Stanley - Heinola by a wide margin

The problem with that trade is that what if Bogdan and Salo both turn out to be solid top 4 guys? Then our right side is overloaded with Barron and Demelo too lol. I guess it's a good problem to maybe have

Heldig

Apr 12, 2002
BC
I think Barron is an upgrade on the 6 D we have slotted in as of right now

Jomo Demelo
Samberg Pionk (fingers crossed their analytics hold)
Heinola Barron
Stanley

That bottom pair is an improvement over Stanley - Heinola by a wide margin

The problem with that trade is that what if Bogdan and Salo both turn out to be solid top 4 guys? Then our right side is overloaded with Barron and Demelo too lol. I guess it's a good problem to maybe have
The only thing Barron has over the #6D (Stanley) is that he is a RHS.

Reactions: Snowman

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
Yes, true

Habs: "I hear McG is available. What would it take from our end?"
Chevy: "Guhle"
Habs: "we're not willing to do that"
Chevy: "OK. Bye"

That's how this works. Chevy hangs up and calls the next interested party

You'll notice it wasn't Chevy dialing up the Habs, but the other way around
Chevy not in driers seat this time. McG could walk for nil