Friedman: Jets and Rutger McGroarty are not talking - his name is coming up in trade talks

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

gojetsgo

Nov 1, 2015
I think it's the opposite. Based on the way the Jets' beat writers are treating this, Chevy may have brought down the hammer on someone who didn't want to develop the Jets' way. They want Rutger out and reporters are shocked it hasn't happened yet.
this is not how they are framing it at all, the beat writers have said that he wanted to be in the nhl and the jets couldn't promise him a path so he isn't willing to sign

Tasteless Beaver

Here for the hot takes
Jul 8, 2015
Ottawa, Ontario
this is not how they are framing it at all, the beat writers have said that he wanted to be in the nhl and the jets couldn't promise him a path so he isn't willing to sign
We know that. He committed to Michigan for another year after being told he couldn't play NHL games, but we don't know much beyond that. Based on Rutger's camp's statement that they were worried about development, we understand that the discussions stopped and Chevy started shopping him instead of giving him what he wanted. Murat seems to believe that there is no chance to strike an agreement, meaning Chevy absolutely will not bend to Rutger's demand and wants him gone.

Reactions: Buffdog

gojetsgo

Nov 1, 2015
We know that. He committed to Michigan for another year after being told he couldn't play NHL games, but we don't know much beyond that. Based on Rutger's camp's statement that they were worried about development, we understand that the discussions stopped and Chevy started shopping him instead of giving him what he wanted. Murat seems to believe that there is no chance to strike an agreement, meaning Chevy absolutely will not bend to Rutger's demand and wants him gone.
there's no chance to strike an agreement because rutger will not sign and went back to college... nobody has implied at all that it's because chevy is "dropping the hammer"

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
I wonder what this is waiting on right. Is it NJ or WPG that wants to see what's available at 11? MIN or WPG at 13?

Digitalbooya

By order of the Peaky Blinders
Sponsor
Jul 10, 2010
Wisconsin
Happy the Wild didn’t trade their pick for McGroarty since they drafted Buium. Would still like to work something out, but not sure what makes sense.

Reactions: AKL

Indy18

Aug 17, 2023
I’m ok if Rutger goes to CBJ. Always cheer for them as a Jets fan. Just make it fair.

So Chevy I know you listen to me I endorse the trade.
Just a "hearsay moment" at our draft party Fantilli was signing autographs and interacting with the crowd. While I was in line handing over my ticket someone ahead of me asked about Rutger and said "that (Rutger) is a great guy and would be interested to come to Columbus". Granted we have our collection of Wolverines but you know those boys talk and I am sure something was probably brought up.

Reactions: FlappyGiraffe

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
Now that 2024 1sts are out of play, Rossi still make some sense, so I wonder if we see that tomorrow. Otherwise the Wild are probably out on this one.

Finnflash

May 19, 2016
Winnipeg
Just a "hearsay moment" at our draft party Fantilli was signing autographs and interacting with the crowd. While I was in line handing over my ticket someone ahead of me asked about Rutger and said "that (Rutger) is a great guy and would be interested to come to Columbus". Granted we have our collection of Wolverines but you know those boys talk and I am sure something was probably brought up.
Good info but nothing like the mind connection I have with Chevy

larmex99

Sponsor
Jul 4, 2013
In 2 years he will be free to go wherever he chooses. Until then hopefully he enjoys college life while millions slip by him.

Reactions: Buffdog

Indy18

Aug 17, 2023
Good info but nothing like the mind connection I have with Chevy
Yeah it might had just been a safe PR style statement by Fantilli to give a kinda neutral answer but the fact Fantilli stated something that hasn't been officially endorsed by FO is kinda neat. He's been known to be alot more open with the fans than usual players (He straight up mocked a guy getting an autograph from him last year in front of me because he was using a Blue Pen and Fantilli straight told him "So I expect to see that for sale soon"). In fact Fantilli was standing right in the middle of the crowd during the 4th pick announcement and not in the "reserved area" at the back in PINS...

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011
Now that 2024 1sts are out of play, Rossi still make some sense, so I wonder if we see that tomorrow. Otherwise the Wild are probably out on this one.

If it's a player for player swap I don't think there's a rush to do it tomorrow.

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011

Might also be waiting till July 1, if there is a trade to happen where Ehlers & Rutger are packaged together, then Ehlers can be extended as of July 1. Ehlers (extended) & Rutger would bring back a pretty nice return. Just saying its another possibility/option. This would maximize Ehler's value, if extended.

Forge

Blissfully Mediocre
Jul 4, 2018
Vincent Clortho School for wizards
LAS VEGAS — The Winnipeg Jets didn’t trade Rutger McGroarty during the first round of the NHL Draft on Friday. This was not for a lack of effort.

The Jets worked hard to trade McGroarty and got some bites, particularly in the middle of the first round. According to The Athletic’s Michael Russo, Minnesota offered Winnipeg the 13th pick but changed its tack when Zeev Buium became available, trading up to take the defenceman at 12. We don’t know the Jets’ draft list: It’s possible that making the deal with the Wild depended on which player Winnipeg could have drafted at 13.

Reactions: jetsforever

MagnumForce2

Dec 16, 2011
Buffalo Sabres
C/RW Isak Rosen (14th OA, 2021)
For
Winnipeg Jets
Rutger McGoarty (14th OA, 2022)

Rosen had 50 pts (20g, 30a) 67 games last year in AHL for Rochester. McGroarty fits organizational needs for a bigger, physical wing better.

howkie

Dec 13, 2014
Buffalo Sabres
C/RW Isak Rosen (14th OA, 2021)
For
Winnipeg Jets
Rutger McGoarty (14th OA, 2022)

Rosen had 50 pts (20g, 30a) 67 games last year in AHL for Rochester. McGroarty fits organizational needs for a bigger, physical wing better.
Rosen is oki, but we already have 2 players with similar profile in Lambert and chibrakov in AHL, we need something else

Reactions: Snowman

gojetsgo

Nov 1, 2015
Word out of Montreal Habs we interested. But disappeared with Demidov pick. May pick back up though.

Maybe next draft we can offer our first? Should be around 15
doubt the jets would have much interest in a future first, probably looking at prospects or young players atp

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad