Friedman: Jets and Rutger McGroarty are not talking - his name is coming up in trade talks

Mersss

Jul 12, 2014
Depending on who's there at 5

Lane Hutson
Vs
Rutger

Makes a lot of sense.

Habs can draft a D, Win gets a top D prospect in the NHL, Habs get a winger to play on their top6 and can replace Hutson with Buium or Dickinson or Parekh

• Haha
Reactions: overlords

Canadienna

Jan 27, 2015
Depending on who's there at 5

Lane Hutson
Vs
Rutger

Makes a lot of sense.

Habs can draft a D, Win gets a top D prospect in the NHL, Habs get a winger to play on their top6 and can replace Hutson with Buium or Dickinson or Parekh

From my perspective it doesn't make a ton of sense for the Habs.

Habs are going into year 3 of the rebuild and they'll want to take a step forward. Hutson looks NHL ready or close, and whoever we draft likely won't be up with the club.

We need to age up our D corps to fit with our young F group, not age them down.

Not talking about value, but trading Hutson now after waiting for him to come to MTL seems like a step backwards.

Reactions: Whalers Fan

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
* Jets 1st (26th)
* One of Barron or Kapanen. Both are very close to NHL ready. Possible we have both on the table.

Habs have Beck and Kapanen who are projected 3C. If they really develop well, possible they can reach 2C. I think we can afford to move one of them.

Barron is underrated. He's a big boy with great skating/mobility and a great shot. He lacks maturity but once he figures that out, I think he's going to be a top 4D.

Jets get their pick back to try to hit with.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
Hmm well Detroit would probably be interested if he's available. Maybe a deal one for one with Marco Kasper going to Winnipeg. Projects as a 2nd line center.

He does play for the Wolverines and played for the UNTDP, so I cans ee Detroit being a place he wants to play. Not to mention the team should be in the playoffs or contending for them when he leaves college next year or the year after.

Reactions: Go Wings

gojetsgo

Nov 1, 2015
* Jets 1st (26th)
* One of Barron or Kapanen. Both are very close to NHL ready. Possible we have both on the table.

Habs have Beck and Kapanen who are projected 3C. If they really develop well, possible they can reach 2C. I think we can afford to move one of them.

Barron is underrated. He's a big boy with great skating/mobility and a great shot. He lacks maturity but once he figures that out, I think he's going to be a top 4D.

Jets get their pick back to try to hit with.
don't see the jets having any interest in this

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
Isn't he from Michigan?

Well, if so, the mystery of where he would want to go and sign is solved...

Nebraska.

I don't think all teams need to hesitate, but some definitely do, and for various reasons.

From what I've heard re: the Gauthier situation (Charlie O'Connor, Philly beat reporter, talked about it on his podcast, can try find the episode later if you want), BC's head coach made a really strong pitch to Gauthier to convince him to play in the NCAA for another year. Gauthier wanted a similar pitch from the Flyers, so when he told them he was considering playing another year in the NCAA and Briere said they want him to turn pro but would support him staying in the NCAA as well if that's what he wanted, Gauthier interpreted that as the Flyers not wanting him badly enough and wanted out.

Similarly, Friedman reported earlier this year that one of the reasons McGroarty decided to go back to college is because the Jets couldn't guarantee a full-time roster spot for him (kinda a no-brainer considering Perfetti still isn't always a lock, but that could change with Bones retired now), and he'd rather play at UMich than in the AHL.

So while some of this might have to do with "I don't want to play in Winnipeg" or "I don't want to play for Torts" and that kind of thing, I think these players want to feel valued and wanted by a) their teams begging them to turn pro and b) pretty much "guaranteed" NHL roster spots. If a team is comfortable with that then they should draft as many NTDP players as they want. If not, they should probably hold off.

It's pretty pretentious of them to want a guaranteed roster spot. You have to earn his position like everyone else.

TS Quint

GET THESE ADS OUT OF MY WAY!
Sep 8, 2012
Our local athletic guy Murat is reporting that CBJ, SJS, and OTT are all in the running for Rutger.

Would love to somehow work something out with a retained Laine coming back to Winnipeg if our players are still cool with him
No one likes Laine. He couldn’t get along in Winnipeg and he’s not getting along in Columbus. He’s lazy, entitled and teams have to pay him $8.7m for the privilege of putting up with him.

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
Let me know when you want to tell me what the best offer is so far. Maybe we try to beat it. I got no time for the reply you just did. Doesn't carry forward a good conversation.

Here

To Chicago:
:hawks
-the rights to Rutger McGroarty

To Winnipeg:
:jets
-2024 1st round pick (18th overall)
-Lukas Reichel
McGroarty to NJ for 10th overall 2024.
Caps 1st (#17) and LHD Vincent Iorio
For
Rights to McGroarty.
I’ll do McMichael + 17 from washington
Avs should really be interested.

Calum Ritchie 1 for 1?
I would give Winnipeg picks 13 and 45 in this draft for McGroarty

That's not even all of them either, I just got bored of looking

thedjpd

Sponsor
Dec 12, 2002
San Jose, CA
Nebraska.

It's pretty pretentious of them to want a guaranteed roster spot. You have to earn his position like everyone else.
Yup, this isn't about where.

It's about being adequately courted and moving directly into the NHL. Has nothing to do with the team, or anything else. They don't want the struggles of AHL or whatever.

My thought at this point? The same way they can "re-neg" on their decision to sign, there's nothing int he CBA that guarantees roster spots. When CG was drafted, said he was born to be a Flyer. Just mouthpiece. So, tell them "yeah, sure, we'll give you a spot," sign them, and then do whatever the F you want.

Dick move? Absolutely. But so is what's happening here. These aren't clauses written into contracts.

Will it make others hesitate to sign there who have this? Sure, but it's the same as whether teams would hesitate to draft them now anyway.

lanky

Feeling Spicy
Jun 23, 2007
Winnipeg
Yup, this isn't about where.

It's about being adequately courted and moving directly into the NHL. Has nothing to do with the team, or anything else. They don't want the struggles of AHL or whatever.

My thought at this point? The same way they can "re-neg" on their decision to sign, there's nothing int he CBA that guarantees roster spots. When CG was drafted, said he was born to be a Flyer. Just mouthpiece. So, tell them "yeah, sure, we'll give you a spot," sign them, and then do whatever the F you want.

Dick move? Absolutely. But so is what's happening here. These aren't clauses written into contracts.

Will it make others hesitate to sign there who have this? Sure, but it's the same as whether teams would hesitate to draft them now anyway.
A GM could pull off that trick once and then all NCAA prospects would distrust him.

Lion Hound

@JoeTucc26
Mar 12, 2007
Montauk NY
Is it just a Winnipeg thing, where he doesn't want to sign and play there. Or is it that he wishes to choose his own destination, by leveraging the option to not sign and playout his college career?

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011
Here

That's not even all of them either, I just got bored of looking

Good job, I think you got most or all of them. In addition to those there are also offers of packaging him with Ehlers in a bigger deal, some of those are also very attractive. Depends how the deal goes down, just Rutger or Rutger plus Ehlers.

Reactions: Buffdog

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad