Post-Game Talk: Jets 8 - Sharks 3

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
The one thing I will nitpick is that the top line needs to be more diligent at managing their shift lengths. No issue against a team like the Sharks last night but, not changing when you have the opportunity and then getting stuck out for long periods of time in your end after could kill us in the playoffs against a good team.

They got the same amount of shifts as the second line but played 8 minutes more. Some of that was special teams sure, but good amount of that was being out way too long at 5 on 5.

Jet

Chibby!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
yup, he can't have a real strong season every 4 years. He needs to play at a good number 3 level consistently to really give us that defensive support we will need to make a run in the post season.

I'm interested in seeing what they do in another week when tree is ready to come back. Third pairing has been solid.
Yeah it's going to be interesting. Fleurys speed is so desirable, he's a bit horky borky in our zone but he's decent at clearing. I wonder if they rotate them with situational deployment based on opponent?

Then what happens when Ville returns?

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Yeah it's going to be interesting. Fleurys speed is so desirable, he's a bit horky borky in our zone but he's decent at clearing. I wonder if they rotate them with situational deployment based on opponent?

Then what happens when Ville returns?

Agreed, we've been so much better at retrievals and breaking out due to getting the puck first with the d this year.

I really don't know what will happen. My guess is they carry 8 dmen and rotate them all in if we stay healthy.

Jet

Chibby!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
Agreed, we've been so much better at retrievals and breaking out due to getting the puck first with the d this year.

I really don't know what will happen. My guess is they carry 8 dmen and rotate them all in if we stay healthy.
Maybe Ville plays F in a pinch if we lose a F and we don't have time to recall a replacement?

I don't think the Jets will want to lose Gus so a tough decision will have to be made of we ever get healthy.

Nvmd I just mathed and we'd have one extra F

Yeah I think we'll carry 8 this year, I don't think anyone will clear and all 8 look bonafide to me.

This might not be the strongest D we've ever iced but it is the deepest and the balance is great.

Having size and skill in 5-8 really gives us some options and could cause some really nice competition

Gil Fisher

Mar 18, 2012
Winnipeg
I think they'll lose Stanley or Coghlan to waivers. A month or so into the season and injuries will have started causing problems for other teams.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
They will waive Coghlan and just carry 8 dmen if healthy imo.

They will find games to get both tree and Ville in for.
Agreed I don’t think the organization wants to lose anymore defensive depth other than maybe Coghlan. Also we have been very fortunate with injuries on the backend other than Villie so it is very likely they will need all their depth at some point.

Reactions: surixon

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
Ok yes I like the win but the reason the 2nd line dominated is because A) the sharks 2nd line is complete trash and B) they were tired. I hope to God we see Ehlers score 70+ points this year. Perfetan was perfect. I remain optimistically skeptical.
The Sharks were so trash last night. Didn't think I would ever see a D group as bad as the Jets from 19-20 but the Sharks were able to stoop below that.

They did a welcome back Tyler Toffoli message on the scoreboard in the third, I don't think anyone even reacted much lol
Lol a few ppl were yelling jets legend in the section I was in

macmaroon

Winnipeg Jets fan since 1972
Sponsor
Sep 3, 2011
Winnipeg Manitoba
www.macmaroon.com
Technical point but valid. If you woke up "after" Perfetti scored his 2nd then you "missed" that one too.:D
True, but I did see the replays, so technically I saw his second goal immediately afterwards. I still haven't seen his first goal or San Jose's third, so I will have to watch them on the recap. Besides, it was past my bedtime and I wasn't thinking straight when I made that post...:silly:

:sueme:

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011
Yup, now we just need to get the first line going 5 on 5.
I really don't know how much you can take away from this game. As other posters stated San Jose had no defensive structure. Jets were skating right through them. The start of the game the top line was really dangerous offensively, and as the game wore on I don't think they were playing at their top level. Vilardi missed some chances. Lowry seemed to be coasting a bit too. But the 2nd line just feasted. I think if you play a defensive structured team, which Pitt will be, the top line will still get their chances, but teams that stand up at the blue line, and have back pressure will force that 2nd line in the corners, and watching that game Perfetti still looked a step behind in the forecheck, it was transitional speed that led to their outbreak. Wonder if we'll see the same results with a better opponent.

Reactions: LowLefty

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
I really don't know how much you can take away from this game. As other posters stated San Jose had no defensive structure. Jets were skating right through them. The start of the game the top line was really dangerous offensively, and as the game wore on I don't think they were playing at their top level. Vilardi missed some chances. Lowry seemed to be coasting a bit too. But the 2nd line just feasted. I think if you play a defensive structured team, which Pitt will be, the top line will still get their chances, but teams that stand up at the blue line, and have back pressure will force that 2nd line in the corners, and watching that game Perfetti still looked a step behind in the forecheck, it was transitional speed that led to their outbreak. Wonder if we'll see the same results with a better opponent.

Can't take much outside of some players likely getting some confidence.

All our players will have to continue to build their games and round more into form.

Reactions: voyageur

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011
Maybe Ville plays F in a pinch if we lose a F and we don't have time to recall a replacement?

I don't think the Jets will want to lose Gus so a tough decision will have to be made of we ever get healthy.

Nvmd I just mathed and we'd have one extra F

Yeah I think we'll carry 8 this year, I don't think anyone will clear and all 8 look bonafide to me.

This might not be the strongest D we've ever iced but it is the deepest and the balance is great.

Having size and skill in 5-8 really gives us some options and could cause some really nice competition
It does kind of seem that Heinola will come back into a Sami Niku role eventually, might get a conditioning stint. As long as Pionk is running a decent PP2 there isn't a need for the postion. But staying healthy is no guarantee. I wonder if Salomonsson is close to ready, if Ville isn't flipped for a draft pick or two. A 2nd round pick seems achievable.

I think this is the best skating defense the Jets have had. Miller is the slowest guy, but he's no plug. Stan is going to be slower, but if he gets to stand up players in different points of attack, he could be a force.

Maybe the defense is a credit to Chynoweth. They had a good system over there in Carolina, that a lot posters wanted to emulate.

bustamente

Fraud Supporter
Jun 29, 2015
Fraud City MB
It does kind of seem that Heinola will come back into a Sami Niku role eventually, might get a conditioning stint. As long as Pionk is running a decent PP2 there isn't a need for the postion. But staying healthy is no guarantee. I wonder if Salomonsson is close to ready, if Ville isn't flipped for a draft pick or two. A 2nd round pick seems achievable.

I think this is the best skating defense the Jets have had. Miller is the slowest guy, but he's no plug. Stan is going to be slower, but if he gets to stand up players in different points of attack, he could be a force.

Maybe the defense is a credit to Chynoweth. They had a good system over there in Carolina, that a lot posters wanted to emulate.
So far it looks like both new assistant coaches are doing a better job than the former, early days but everything the Jets are doing is working out but it's a long long season

Buffdog

Feb 13, 2019
Yup, now we just need to get the first line going 5 on 5.
I know a lot people won't be happy until this happens for some reason

Obviously the special teams can't sustain the levels we're seeing, but the more improved they are over last season, the less important the top line winning matchups 5v5 will be

If we win the special teams and goaltending matchups we will win lots of games where Schief and Connor get outchanced

It's almost like the team was designed that way

Reactions: Luc Labelle

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
I know a lot people won't be happy until this happens for some reason

Obviously the special teams can't sustain the levels we're seeing, but the more improved they are over last season, the less important the top line winning matchups 5v5 will be

If we win the special teams and goaltending matchups we will win lots of games where Schief and Connor get outchanced

It's almost like the team was designed that way

All true and I'm not really all that concerned. They are what they are, our one high event line.

My ine gripe is I don't like that they really extend their shifts. I want that bad habit nipped in the bud before it gets really ingrained. You don't need to stay out past 30 seconds or so when you get a half whif that an offensive opportunity may come about especially when the team is up by as much as we were tonight. They got caught defending on more then one occasion late in shifts because they refused to make a simple dump and change.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad