Post-Game Talk: Jets 8 - Sharks 3

Finnflash

May 19, 2016
Winnipeg
Was at the game. I was a little worried after the first shift of Perfetti but after that he turned it around. He had a few goals and assist but what stood out was his defence and neutral zone play. Fun game to watch.

Reactions: sipowicz and Shlep

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011
I was at the game tonight. Probably the most tired I've ever been watching a game though, so I am not sure what I saw exactly.

But a few things stood out, beside the bump in the stat line for a few guys.

The Jets came out buzzing. Connor was dangling, Ehlers was flying. The spacing was great, and rotations. Not sure if that was a week of practice or a B side preseason roster for competition. Blackwood's goaltending did the Sharks no favours.

I thought Scheif and Connor kind of played in a vacuum tonight. Where they were just looking for each other, and cycling the puck through each other a lot. Made some pretty nifty plays that didn't connect, but it was strange how little Valardi was incorporated in their game style. On the PP he got a lot more looks.

Perfetti didn't have a great game, but hopefully 2 goals gives him a bit of confidence. The reaction on the face of Ehlers vs. the reaction of Perfetti after scoring a couple is night and day. Somebody get that kid to smile.

Samberg and Pionk are playing some good hockey. Pionk is creating offense off the rush, and Samberg seems to be in a comfort zone right now, where he's a step ahead.

I'd say that a few of the stars started taking some shifts off with 3 goal leads, won't see a game like that for awhile though.

Most noticeable Sharks player to me was Zetterlund.

Attendance was not good for this one.

ThinIce61

Jul 11, 2018
I knew I was in trouble after the second period, I fell asleep missing the first Perfetti and third Sharks goal, but I woke up after Perfetti scored his second. The Jets played very well for the most part, were aggressively checking San Jose and stealing pucks from them. The final score is the result. Let's hope Winnipeg can continue this against the McGroarty-less Penguins...

I give this game four "Spicolis" out of five...

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

The Prediction Contest for that game has been posted for your guesses. Remember to get them in before the puck drop at 2:00pm on Sunday. I will be posting the GDT for that game as well, but after that, the games against St. Louis and Seattle are available, so don't forget to sign up! See you all Sunday...

giphy.gif
Technical point but valid. If you woke up "after" Perfetti scored his 2nd then you "missed" that one too.:D

Too bad we gave up the FG. Betting Helle wishes he had Kunin's goal to do over. That one "sharp" helle would stop 10 out of 10 but the fact the Sharks had possession about 4 minutes the whole game lulled Helle to sleep .

Too bad tyler tomfoolery got one.

Nice to see the 2nd line pile up the points. Looks like we need to do something about our 3rd line now. Bums didn't get any points.:sarcasm:

Tough for anyone, Stanley, Shineola, et al to get in the lineup when the team is playing like they are.
If Mcgroantitty was still in the lineup for the tuxedo'ed twits I would say bring Yager in for one game to show the Penguins what they lost out on trading for AHL Rutger.

Go Jets go. Look at that goal differential. Sweet.

bustamente

Fraud Supporter
Jun 29, 2015
Fraud City MB
I'd venture to say the number was seats sold, attendance was likely lower. My entire row had 4 fans.

I was there as well, and attendance looked good, but we are lower bowl and there were no empty seats any where around us.
Yup lower bowl looked full on tv not many empty seats, upper deck had sections of empty seats. Not sure how teams are counting their crowds this year, last year I was led to believe it was actually people in the arena.

Shlep

Sep 13, 2024
with the 2nd line breaking out every jets player has played well this season so far....no one holding the team back like schmidt, stanley or pionk last year. now 12 regular season wins in a row....tied for 26th longest streak in nhl history
Schmidt and Samberg had the best defensive numbers in the league as a defensive pairing for 2 years in a row. He was overpaid and bought out as a result, but Schmidt wasn't holding this team back.

Reactions: Jack7222

PhilJets

Winnipeg is Good
Jun 24, 2012
Somewhere nice
What's up with HELLY?? giving up 3 goals? declining :) ;):sarcasm:

Nice performance by 2nd line

gO JETS GO!!! AWESOME.. Still have some quality young players that still trying to make the team.. GOOD TIMES AGAIN!!!

Reactions: GNP

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Worth noting, his line played the least at 5v5 and the three of them had the worst xGF on the team, best xGF% because they didn't have chances against, but they didn't create much 5v5 either.

Which is what happens when you have all that special teams play. XGF puts way too much stock into distance. They had a number of quality looks from the slot that went in and gwt penalized on the XGF metric for some reason. I'll take the line getting clean looks from there over a muffin from 5 feet away with the goalie set.

objectiveposter

Jan 29, 2011
Schmidt and Samberg had the best defensive numbers in the league as a defensive pairing for 2 years in a row. He was overpaid and bought out as a result, but Schmidt wasn't holding this team back.
what are you talking about? he was literally a healthy scratch some games. his defensive numbers benefited from playing on the best defensive team in the league.

Reactions: GNP

LucianoBorsato

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
I'd venture to say the number was seats sold, attendance was likely lower. My entire row had 4 fans.
I was at the game and I'd say that number was accurate for people in attendance. I was at a few real low ones last season, like 11000, and the difference is pretty obvious. I sit in 330, have a good view of all areas.

Reactions: GNP and voyageur

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011
I was at the game and I'd say that number was accurate for people in attendance. I was at a few real low ones last season, like 11000, and the difference is pretty obvious. I sit in 330, have a good view of all areas.
I'll take your word for it. The Sharks are probably the cheapest tickets you can get this year, which probably helped.

LucianoBorsato

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
I'll take your word for it. The Sharks are probably the cheapest tickets you can get this year, which probably helped.

When the game got going my eye test felt it was about 13,500. I was close, I want a prize.

Playing San Jose, even on a Friday, isn't going to be a big draw for walk ups. Personally I like seeing weak teams because you're more likely to witness a butt whipping lol

Shlep

Sep 13, 2024
what are you talking about? he was literally a healthy scratch some games. his defensive numbers benefited from playing on the best defensive team in the league.
I'm talking about defensive numbers. Him and Samberg had the best expected goals against for two years in a row. They allowed the fewest quality chances against by ice time out of any pairing in the league for two years. Him being a healthy scratch doesn't negate that.

Which is what happens when you have all that special teams play. XGF puts way too much stock into distance. They had a number of quality looks from the slot that went in and gwt penalized on the XGF metric for some reason. I'll take the line getting clean looks from there over a muffin from 5 feet away with the goalie set.
They produced chances at the lowest rate out of any line 5v5. Special teams doesn't affect that. They also allowed the fewest chances by a country mile. They had a good game, but 5v5 they didn't produce a ton.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad