Post-Game Talk: Jets 6 - Pens 3

LowLefty

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 29, 2016
Where has that talent been for the last 5 years? He has ranged from not very good to downright bad. His only good season was his last contract year.

Maybe some of it can be explained by poor fits with partners and nagging injuries but the coincidence of good play only when he feels motivated enough is hard to ignore.

He is going to have a career year earning him another big contract and then he will disappear for the rest of his career.
There might be some truth to this because it is exactly what happened last time and we had similar discussions around it.
I'd like to see him play his heart out every night but I doubt we get this kind of effort after that next contract is signed - all you can hope for is that we don't over pay.
He's no dummy - he knows how the league works when it comes contract time - what have you done for me lately is usually how it works.
But in the end, I hope you and I are wrong -

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Yeah, I’d be cautious signing him to a long term federal given his tendency to be inconsistent and play up for contract years (which wouldn’t be bad if he was at least good the other years).

He's a guy who needs one 1 year contract after another. Go ahead and pay him, he'll probably be earning it.:laugh:

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
There might be some truth to this because it is exactly what happened last time and we had similar discussions around it.
I'd like to see him play his heart out every night but I doubt we get this kind of effort after that next contract is signed - all you can hope for is that we don't over pay.
He's no dummy - he knows how the league works when it comes contract time - what have you done for me lately is usually how it works.
But in the end, I hope you and I are wrong -

Sure. I hope he becomes half of an outstanding pair with Snerg, the partner he has been waiting 5 years for. But I'm skeptical.

Reactions: Jack7222

abax44

Jan 22, 2005
and I have yet to see 1 national media member tweet about it, if this was any other canadian market they all would have tweeted it by now

Attachments

• Screenshot_20241021_013521_Samsung Internet.jpg
    Screenshot_20241021_013521_Samsung Internet.jpg
    119.3 KB · Views: 1

KingJoffrey

Jan 30, 2014
Ehlers 5 games 7 points. And tonight's toi under 13...

And when the Jets lose a game he's sure the main culprit. This is madness despite the team wins.

Reactions: Mortimer Snerd

Jets 31

This Dude loves the Jets and GIF's
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg

And when the Jets lose a game he's sure the main culprit. This is madness despite the team wins.
So just so i understand you, if the Jets TEAM is 5-0 and playing well you aren't happy unless Ehlers gets the right amount of minutes you think he should get. I like Ehlers too but i care way more about the Winnipeg Jets team having success than Ehlers getting more minutes.

Jet

Chibby!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
Man this revisionist history on Pionk.

He had a pretty awful year last year, I think we've all talked about the potential reasons why. His season before that was very uneven but he's given us some really good spells of service, too.

I'm still glad we had him over that overpaid douche Trouba.

Hoping this is a renaissance year for Neal, I'll be cheering for him. I love his edge and his puck moving when he's on, and I'd bet his teammates love him.

Also happy to see the Stanley bashing is back, I missed it.

I've liked Fleury so far but it's only logical to get all your d in game shape, I'm sure we will need them all before the season is done.

And still, those that whine about Ehlers usage cannot provide a cogent argument as to why 3 HC and like 5 assistants have all continued to deploy him like that.

Channelcat

Unhinged user
Feb 8, 2013
Canada
Apparently SN hired a new person who has no idea how standings work.
View attachment 919310
Powered by AI

He had a pretty awful year last year, I think we've all talked about the potential reasons why. His season before that was very uneven but he's given us some really good spells of service, too.

Hoping this is a renaissance year for Neal, I'll be cheering for him. I love his edge and his puck moving when he's on, and I'd bet his teammates love him.

I've liked Fleury so far but it's only logical to get all your d in game shape, I'm sure we will need them all before the season is done.

And still, those that whine about Ehlers usage cannot provide a cogent argument as to why 3 HC and like 5 assistants have all continued to deploy him like that.
The whole narrative on Pionk has been overly negative and sometimes absurd. He's been an important part of this team since his arrival. Even last year.

Joe Hallenback

Mar 4, 2005

Ehlers had 19 shifts for around 42 seconds on average. Connor had 20 shifts for around 58 seconds of average ice time. I think people are discounting the way players play. Ehlers is very short shift high skating forward, he really doesn't stop skating and needs to get off quicker because of it. When he is gassed he gets off.

Jets 31

Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
Ehlers had 19 shifts for around 42 seconds on average. Connor had 20 shifts for around 58 seconds of average ice time. I think people are discounting the way players play. Ehlers is very short shift high skating forward, he really doesn't stop skating and needs to get off quicker because of it. When he is gassed he gets off.
Get that logic out of here, we are trying hard to bitch about stuff.:laugh: It's hard when the Jets are 5-0 you know.:naughty:

JetsFan815

Replacement Level Poster
Jan 16, 2012

Ehlers does not have "very short shifts". That shift length is the normal shift length. Malkin had 43 second shifts and Crosby had 46 second shifts. It is those guys on the top line that are taking unnaturally long shifts rather than any other Jet (most of whom are between 40-45 seconds) taking short shifts.

Reactions: Mortimer Snerd

jokesondee

I’m not fat. I’m cultivating mass.
Feb 23, 2018
Winnipeg
Time to let it go …. nobody gives a f*** about Rutger.
Jet fans are going to get a rap as being immature and bad fans which is not true.
Just let it go and stop mentioning his name … winining is the best revenge.

1729517078263.png

I think its great. Its been a long time since weve had a good chant. Most people seem to love it. The Reddit thread about it was 100% positive from fans all over the league, including Penguins fans.

Buffdog

Feb 13, 2019
Ehlers does not have "very short shifts". That shift length is the normal shift length. Malkin had 43 second shifts and Crosby had 46 second shifts. It is those guys on the top line that are taking unnaturally long shifts rather than any other Jet (most of whom are between 40-45 seconds) taking short shifts.
From my eye test, it seems like schief's line gets lots of o zone starts and then when the puck is back to the Jets end, they struggle to exit with it and get hemmed in

So it's not like they're out there cruising around lazily.

Most hockey teams have a "one zone max per shift" rule... meaning that if you start in the o zone and it transitions to the d zone, you exit with the puck, get it deep, and change (most often in a one chase/two change order). The opposite is true if you start in the d zone

It all goes back to zone exits for that line

Jets 31

Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
I wonder how long of shifts Crosby and Malkin took when they were 29 and 30 years old though.

tarozi

Oct 4, 2019
Very happy to say, so far, Scott Arniel is very much proving me wrong. Hope he keeps it up. I'll have to eat a little crow here, and happy too.
I don't know if it's just me but coaches seem to do better on their second coaching stints. Really shouldn't surprise us and happy that he is proving all the naysayers wrong.

Reactions: Jets 31 and Buffdog

Jet

Chibby!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
This is it, friend! What really underlined it for me was the chat that someone showed how many times each Jet skated over 20mph and no one was even in the same stratosphere as Ehlers.

I do think that 55 especially would perform better if he cut each shift by 10-15 seconds.

JetsFan815

Replacement Level Poster
Jan 16, 2012
I wonder how long of shifts Crosby and Malkin took when they were 29 and 30 years old though.

I checked 4 random early season games from 7 years ago when they were 29-30: 1 2 3 4

Crosby: 38 seconds, 34 secs, 39 secs, 44 secs

Malkin: 35 seconds, 46 secs, 45 secs, 43 secs

58-60 second avg shift lengths are practically unheard of other than on the PP. Both Maurice and Bones used to preach 40-45 second shifts for forwards.

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011
I checked 4 random early season games from 7 years ago when they were 29-30: 1 2 3 4

Crosby: 38 seconds, 34 secs, 39 secs, 44 secs

Malkin: 35 seconds, 46 secs, 45 secs, 43 secs

58-60 second avg shift lengths are practically unheard of other than on the PP. Both Maurice and Bones used to preach 40-45 second shifts for forwards.

When you're trapped in your own zone, shift lengths tend to be longer.

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
apparently Jets players & others in the org. that were disappointed no Rutger in the line up

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad