Post-Game Talk: Jets 6 - Pens 3

Dirtbag151

Feb 6, 2021
Jets have had a very easy schedule so far.
Compared to who?
Nashville's schedule has been just as easy except they played Dallas
Dallas hasn't played anyone tough yet
Wild played Columbus twice and no one else really except us
AV's played Vegas and Boston so I guess they had it the worst
i guess 5and 0 only counts if its against the top 5 teams in the league back to back

Johnnucleo

Jan 2, 2016
Ostrava
Was at the game. My quick thoughts (I tend to watch dmen):
Rough game for morrissey/demelo imo.
Pionk - Dude is back. Grear game from him
Miller - I like his game, thought he played well
Stanley - yikesville. Can we please move on from this guy

Apples - honestly I used to really dislike this guy but he played great I gotta admit.
EK65 - guy can still play
Letang - Not so much
Crosby/Malkin - Seemed to be mailing it in today
Hayes - Dude is tall

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
I think it's fitting in a way that all 3 players that drew into the lineup today knew Bryan Little in some way, through training camps, or actually playing on the same team as him (Gustafsson).

Glad the Jets won, but the guys who came in should probably go back out next game.

Lucky for the Jets and their fans we have two elite wingers on different lines, and they also accomplished something together.

Correct me if I am wrong but I think that's 3 o-zone faceoff wins for Adam Lowry now that have gone in the net. Last one for a GWG. Small details, but getting some more offensive time hasn't hurt the team, just another feather in the Cap's hat. Lowry sure did well at negating Crosby. Still think he should win a Selke in his career.

Josh and Neal have done pretty well this year at leading the rush consistently. Getting some secondary scoring from Miller is key too.

It's going to be a sad place when the team eventually loses, but enjoy the ride folks. Scott Arniel deserves some credit for waking them up in the 2nd.
When did Gus play with little?

Reactions: Dirtbag151

raideralex99

Whiteout Is Coming.
Dec 18, 2015
West Coast
Apparently SN hired a new person who has no idea how standings work.
IMG_7622.jpeg

Bender Duster

Sep 16, 2024
Winnipeg
Was at the game. My quick thoughts (I tend to watch dmen):
Rough game for morrissey/demelo imo.
Pionk - Dude is back. Grear game from him
Miller - I like his game, thought he played well
Stanley - yikesville. Can we please move on from this guy

Apples - honestly I used to really dislike this guy but he played great I gotta admit.
EK65 - guy can still play
Letang - Not so much
Crosby/Malkin - Seemed to be mailing it in today
Hayes - Dude is tall
Agree with much of this, though I thought Sid played hard. He battles for pucks harder than most rookies trying to crack the league.

One other player that stood out in a bad way on the Pens roster was Jesse P. Holy smokes he seemed lost. He even seemed to have a hard time following the play when the shovel crew was out there!

Reactions: Buffdog

winnipegger

Dec 17, 2013
Agree with much of this, though I thought Sid played hard. He battles for pucks harder than most rookies trying to crack the league.

One other player that stood out in a bad way on the Pens roster was Jesse P. Holy smokes he seemed lost. He even seemed to have a hard time following the play when the shovel crew was out there!

Puljarvi might be even dumber than E Kane. That is a low bar to clear.

I really thought the jets were going to lose this one but they seem to have a chip on their shoulder this year. I should hope so, they didn't win a single period against Colorado last April.

Reactions: sipowicz

WolfHouse

Oct 4, 2020
Couldn't tell much from the replay

Looked like Lowry line dominated Sid
Lets win the cup this year while good Pionk is here... because we are about to sign him for six years at 7 mill
Stan - why - tell me we are not doing another season of 'fair play' for the D
Comrie looked shaky on the goals but I mean 40 shots... not complaining
Ehlers living up to all his advanced stats - Im sure this games settles the argument right?

Reactions: Mortimer Snerd

WolfHouse

Oct 4, 2020
Just looking through the underlying numbers for the season and Pionk comes out at near the top of every category. The guy is a pending UFA and gets shit on constantly, put he is 29 years old and is playing statistically as our best RHD. I know it is early in the season, but the guy is making a case for a nice extension.
He also had a career year before the last contract...

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Compared to who?
i guess 5and 0 only counts if its against the top 5 teams in the league back to back

Even if it's easier, you still need to get the points and we did.

Bjornar Moxnes

Oct 16, 2016
Troms og Finnmark
Compared to who?
Edmonton outplayed Dallas for most of the game tbf.

raideralex99

Whiteout Is Coming.
Dec 18, 2015
West Coast
Stanley threw one nice hit and puked up a TO in our zone for a goal against.
Maybe screened Comrie on another goal.
I like having Gus in our depth as he proved valuable.
Forcing Stanley back into the lineup to keep him in the loop doesn't seem to be working.
Nothing wrong with having extra defensemen ... injuries always pop up.
Playing 12 games in 24 days its a good idea to give guys rest ... tired guys make mistakes and when your 4th line or 3rd pairing D make mistakes it's usually in the back of the net.
Stanley did get an assist and was plus 1 with 3 blocked shots and only one GV. We all know he is not top 4 material ... probably 7/8 D man who needs to play some games that's it.
Remember teams that go far in the playoff need to have depth especially D men.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
And maybe he has learned not to take the foot off the gas. The bottom line for any player is do they have the talent for their role. And IMO Pionk does.

Where has that talent been for the last 5 years? He has ranged from not very good to downright bad. His only good season was his last contract year.

Maybe some of it can be explained by poor fits with partners and nagging injuries but the coincidence of good play only when he feels motivated enough is hard to ignore.

He is going to have a career year earning him another big contract and then he will disappear for the rest of his career.

Reactions: LowLefty

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad