Post-Game Talk: Jets 6 - Coilers 0

Huffer

Jul 16, 2010
Thanks for pointing this out. It is a great way to watch how the play developed leading to the goal. I did not notice Kupari cycled the puck on his goal!

That's what I was thinking too. You can watch all the players on the ice and see who might have been out of position, etc. (Obviously the technology has to be "right", but you know what I mean)

johnnyonthspot

Apr 1, 2012
That's what I was thinking too. You can watch all the players on the ice and see who might have been out of position, etc. (Obviously the technology has to be "right", but you know what I mean)
I get it. I assuem this is 100% or close to 100% accurate.

abax44

Jan 22, 2005
Bandwidth compliance across platforms... by and large streamed...

Try streaming on Kodi using some full on 48 gb and up files on wired highspeed in Winnipeg... 3rd World like...

St...stu...stutter... mu...muther...fffff...@ck*r...
I'm outside the city using Starlink. Soooo... no. 😁

Also, I prefer Stremio.

Reactions: Cypruss

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
Yes. Way better that the Jets go unnoticed and there's no pressure on this group. They fold when the spotlights on. I know lots hate the Jets don't get mentioned and complain about to much Leafs, Habs or whatnot... But let them talk about those teams and the Jets just fly under the radar doing their thing.

I enjoy the fact we get ignored.

Underdog is soooooo much more fun.

Buffdog

Feb 13, 2019
I'm wondering g why people aren't shitting on CSV for having and absolute shit xGF% of 12.73%

Oh, right... it's because it wasn't CSV. It was ENP lol

As badly as schief gets caved, he NEVER gets caved that badly. Yet the statsnerds overlook it becaue two of their golden children are on that line

Queue the "sample size" folks incoming

Reactions: Cypruss

Jack7222

Mar 17, 2021
I'm wondering g why people aren't shitting on CSV for having and absolute shit xGF% of 12.73%

As badly as schief gets caved, he NEVER gets caved that badly. Yet the statsnerds overlook it becaue two of their golden children are on that line

I don't really get it. Why would 'stats nerds' overlook stats? What is it you think makes "the golden children" golden in the eyes of "stats nerds"? Isn't it because they have great stats?

If ENP had an extended period with poor stats why wouldn't a stats nerd take that into account? They're a stats nerd... do you think people just think Ehlers is handsome or something?

And why wouldn't sample size matter... is there a reason you think this game is more representative of ENP than their extended stats? Or are you just trying to suggest that the concept of tracking shot share is stupid because players who usually have good shot share had a game where they had bad shot share?

Last edited:

Buffdog

Feb 13, 2019
I don't really get it. Why would 'stats nerds' overlook stats? What is it you think makes "the golden children" golden in the eyes of "stats nerds"? Isn't it because they have great stats?

If ENP had an extended period with poor stats why wouldn't a stats nerd take that into account? They're a stats nerd... do you think people just think Ehlers is handsome or something?

And why wouldn't sample size matter... is there a reason you think this game is more representative of ENP than their extended stats? Or are you just trying to suggest that the concept of tracking shot share is stupid because players who usually have good shot share had a game where they had bad shot share?
I'm yet to se one stats guy on here change their opinion about anything. It's always excuses, cognitive dissonance and confirmation bias

If ehlers and perfetti continue to underperform (of course I realize it was only one game), then it calls into question the whole narrative of the two of them being stats darlings

Personally, I think it's reasonable to use the same number of games to gauge that line as they used to annoint ESV as the best line on the Jets last year- about 8 games. Either that sample size is large enough or it isn't- can't have it both ways, right?

Mud Turtle

Jul 26, 2013

They were completely invisible last night. Absolutely no chemistry.
No speed from Perfetti (expected)
No speed from Ehlers (not expected)

Jack7222

Mar 17, 2021
I'm yet to se one stats guy on here change their opinion about anything. It's always excuses, cognitive dissonance and confirmation bias

If ehlers and perfetti continue to underperform (of course I realize it was only one game), then it calls into question the whole narrative of the two of them being stats darlings

Idk I feel like you're conjuring imaginary people to argue with. If Perfetti and Ehlers suck at hockey for an extended period and a bunch of "stats guys" refuse to acknowledge it then I guess I'll agree?

Personally, I think it's reasonable to use the same number of games to gauge that line as they used to annoint ESV as the best line on the Jets last year- about 8 games. Either that sample size is large enough or it isn't- can't have it both ways, right?

For sure. And when (in imaginary land) CSV puts up 58%xg and 70+% actual goal share and ENP falters, leading us to total league domination in that month... you will definitely just be sitting back calmly reminding others that the sample is too small and it doesn't necessarily make sense to keep them together, right? :nod:

Duke749

Savannah Ghost Pirates
Apr 6, 2010
Canton, Georgia
Great game. Team was pretty locked in. Noticed on Connor’s goal Nik was there for a redirect and Valardi was waiting back door. Then later on Ehlers shot for a redirect on Scheif’s 2nd goal.

Just clean up some of those unforced turnovers in the 3rd and we’re good.

Reactions: Jack7222

Duke749

Savannah Ghost Pirates
Apr 6, 2010
Canton, Georgia

How is that even possible? lol Yeh there was no chemistry at all. Weird their ice time was on par with the 4th line. But if we’re matching the 1st and 3rd line on the road against McDavid and Drai, you gotta limit when you get them out there because that line will struggle hard against EDM 1st and 2nd. Our 4th line can just rotate out against the 3rd and 4the.

Romang67

BitterSwede
Jan 2, 2011
Evanston, IL
According to that Blackhawks guy, they have found that the tracking data differs from the actual position by distances in the range of 1-3 inches. So it seems pretty reliable. Of course, he would say so.

Scheifele had two games in the 2022-23 season when his xGF% was in the single digits. And not even the high ones.

Screen Shot 2024-10-10 at 7.04.26 PM.png

The stats nerds probably overlook the single game sample for xGF% because it's not very useful.:nod:

Sometimes players get absolutely caved in in a game. What you want to avoid is that happening to them game in and game out.

Last edited:
Reactions: Shlep

JetsFan815

Replacement Level Poster
Jan 16, 2012
For sure. And when (in imaginary land) CSV puts up 58%xg and 70+% actual goal share and ENP falters, leading us to total league domination in that month... you will definitely just be sitting back calmly reminding others that the sample is too small and it doesn't necessarily make sense to keep them together, right? :nod:

Heck forget those lofty numbers I'd even take being an average top line to start with lol

I was checking something before the season which led me to comparing top lines across the league and CSV were ranked:

28/31 in Actual Goals % (Chicago, Anaheim, Seattle and Washington worse)

31/31 in xGF%

29/31 in CF% (only San Jose and Chicago worse)

My expectations were low but I didn't expect them to fair that poorly vs other normal top lines. Hopefully they are better this season or common sense prevails and the right thing is done if they continue to play like this.

Buffdog

Feb 13, 2019
Idk I feel like you're conjuring imaginary people to argue with. If Perfetti and Ehlers suck at hockey for an extended period and a bunch of "stats guys" refuse to acknowledge it then I guess I'll agree?

I'm not conjuring up imaginary anyone. I could name 5 posters right now. You know who they are

So just to be clear... ESV dominated for 8 games and rhat sample was large enough for t"those posters who won't be named" to whine every day for the rest of the season for that line to be reunited. So that sample if that sample.soze is large enough for that, it's large enough to draw conclusions for any line combo

WolfHouse

Oct 4, 2020

Did you just start an argument just to refute it and claim people are overreacting... 😃

If you are actually going to use these fancy stats, then you havd to acknowledge that csv got absolutely caved while the game was still 2-0

gojetsgo

Nov 1, 2015
Did you just start an argument just to refute it and claim people are overreacting... 😃

If you are actually going to use these fancy stats, then you havd to acknowledge that csv got absolutely caved while the game was still 2-0
when I checked after the 2nd they were positive...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad