Post-Game Talk: Jets 4- Yotes 3 in OT

Status
Not open for further replies.

JetsFan815

Replacement Level Poster
Jan 16, 2012

Props to the media for continuing to take Bowness to task about the top line... Murat, Billeck and McIntyre have been on this story like bees on honey and I hope they continue. Those are some pretty sad answers to be honest. Bringing up the other two defensemen when asked about the top line being pinned in their zone is not what you wanna hear from the coach.

Jack7222

Mar 17, 2021
I've read your comment several times and I'm still having trouble parsing it.

When we play badly or inconsistently, isn't it always self-inflicted? If we're playing badly, then we're bad, regardless of how the other team plays. If we're inconsistent, it's not because of the other team it's because we've 'chosen' to be inconsistent. We can play badly and win, we can play really well and lose. But it's always self-inflicted.

Also, aren't all lines and partnerships predecided? Players don't go out to start a game and call out 'Hey, who wants to play with me?' or 'Anyone want to be my wingman?' Someone, presumably the coach, decides before the game starts who is going to be on a certain line. I don't understand why you would say "not sure certain lines...have to be predecided." If the lines are not predecided, you're going to have chaos.

I'm saying that the team/org/coaching seems too attached to certain lineup configurations and persists with them even when the results aren't there, as if they've for some reason decided that they're a good idea before seeing how they actually function on the ice.

Reactions: hn777

Jack7222

Mar 17, 2021
Weren't there a ton of (non-stop) complaints over the past two years, about Scheifele's play? Guess which guy he wasn't playing with the over those two seasons?

I'd love to see KFC on the 2nd line, just to see that how he'll continue to produce in that spot (as he always has), yet people will still say stuff like "he needs everyone doing everything for him". Whether it be Scheifele, PLD, Stastny, or Little, it doesn't matter. None of whom ever had a +100 point season in the league I might add (nor 90).

FFS, a certain Jets "FAN" (wink wink) was making all the excuses in the world why Connor's two primary assists only happened because of X, Y, and Z. Who does that? They were PRIMARY assists vs the #1 team, and they both came in the 3rd period!

I love Scheifele, but I can think of a number of other centers in the league that KFC can play alongside, and put this debate to bed.

If Connor would continue to produce on the second line then it's extra stupid that he's attached at the hip to Scheifele since that line only breaks even on the best of days.

I'd love to see him go on a tear on the 2nd line, IMO some of his best hockey was played next to Dubois.

BarnabyJones PI

I'd kindly settle for a tall glass of milk.
If Connor would continue to produce on the second line then it's extra stupid that he's attached at the hip to Scheifele since that line only breaks even on the best of days.

I'd love to see him go on a tear on the 2nd line, IMO some of his best hockey was played next to Dubois.
This is what I'm saying. Just to be clear Jack, I'm not making the argument that he HAS to be on the top line, but I think it's high time it gets some praise for producing with whichever center he's playing with. The Jets might be 1st in Goals Against, but are 20th in Goals For, and despite Connor missing all of that time, he's still leading the team in goals scored.

I was of the mindset that Perfetti at center (earlier on in the year) with Connor and (especially) a PF - who does the dirty work irrespective as to whether or not he puts up big numbers - would have kept the first two lines more balanced. I even think KFC would be better analytically, while still producing (raw stats) at pretty much the same pace as he is now, if he played 18 minutes per game as opposed to 20. Law of diminishing returns, and you're going to run into the problem of being too taxed once the playoffs start. Honestly, I think Connor's sweet spot is 18 minutes a night.

I'm not hiding KFC's defensive limitations, but I rarely think he and Scheifele work well off of each other in the defensive zone. I don't think PLD is a particularly good 2-way player, more like a bull when he's engaged, but he and Connor were trending in the right direction together through the first half of last season. At one point KFC finally had his career +/- up to +1 for a hot second, and was roughly +8 to +10 on the year at that time, and then went in the toilet soon after they added another scorer (swapping out a plugger) halfway through the season.

I'd also like to point out that Dallas is 3rd overall (as of yesterday) in Goals For, only Robertson plays 18 minutes per game, while 5 of the next 6 forwards are averaging roughly 16 minutes per game or less; all have more than 40 points on the year. We have "1" forward with over 40 points, in Scheifele.

Is the Dallas message board, constantly complaining how most of their top forwards, are only getting 16 minutes a night?

Last edited:
Reactions: Jack7222

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
No kidding. Western teams with worse records of the Jets over the last 10 games. Dallas, Avs, Canucks, LV and Oilers. I guess they are also all shit as well?

Maybe, maybe not. Have they all also abandoned their strong play style? Or are they still playing more or less the right way either just not quite as well as they were or with poor luck?

So far, during this stretch of losing or winning ugly, Jets have been able to turn it on against the good teams and still win their share. So maybe they can flip the switch when needed. I thought they looked like the first half Jets in the 1st period, so maybe the easy 3-1 lead caused them to let up.

Maybe games against StL, Dallas and Car will answer the question. Lets see which Jets team shows up for those games.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
The past 2 games probably would have been easier if they played team defense. They regularly shut down teams when they got a lead. The answer isn't more goalz. It's playing the hockey they were playing before, playoff type hockey.

TBH, I won't care too much as long as they can play playoff type hockey in the playoffs. :laugh:

Reactions: Jets 31

sipowicz

The thrill is gone
Mar 16, 2011
Monahan being sick was the perfect time to put Perfetti at 2C. They were only playing the Coyotes so it's not like it was game one of the playoffs.
Why to show that he can’t produce after the NHL tightened up after the Christmas breask. What exactly has Perfetan shown before at 2C that warranted another look, too small and too slow!

Zhamnov5GoalGame

Former Director of GDT Operations
Jan 14, 2012
Winnipeg, MB, Canada
Always great to get the points and pull out a win when all signs were pointing to a different outcome.
Not fun to watch the team wilt in the second and then get run over in the 3rd.
Our play in February won't have that much effect to how we play in the playoffs but lots of things are trending in the wrong way.
We get better at the PP (finally) but other things are looking less solid.

A 3-1 lead vs the Coyotes pre-X-MAS would have been lights out.
Now it feels like early leads are just waiting to be squandered.

Depth scoring is the biggest thing missing from our previous dominant version.
Fingers crossed that balance returns to bolster the team through tough times.

raideralex99

Whiteout Is Coming.
Dec 18, 2015
West Coast
If you look at the standing in the West the top 3 teams in each division ... Jets are the only team that has won 6 games in their last 10 games.
Which teams have 6 or more wins in the West besides the Jets?
The teams fighting for the last two wild card spots.
Wild 7-2-1
Kings 7-2-1
Flames 7-3
Preds 6-3-1
Blues 5-5-0
I'm not saying the top teams are not trying to win but teams that are desperate seem to play harder and with more urgency.
Of course when you get the top teams playing each other they go all out ... a preview for the playoffs.
How did the Jets play against the Canucks & Wild?
The measuring stick will be when they play Dallas and the Canes this week. They don't have to win just play the way they did in December and there's nothing to worry about other than major injuries.

Jets 31

This Dude loves the Jets and GIF's
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
Not a perfect game but we got the win, don't know why people don't want to give Arizona a little credit for playing good because they did but it wasn't enough because the Jets are the better team. 1 point behind Dallas with 3 games in hand and 2 points up on Colorado with 3 games in hand, now we boogie.

AussieBomberJet

Dec 28, 2017
Northern Beaches, Queensland
I'm happy with the win, but barely winning against shitty teams doesn't make us look like a contending team ATM. We would likely get demolished if this is the play they will have in the playoffs, regardless of how high in the standings we are in the regular season.

This is what concerns me.

Reactions: hn777

kanadalainen

A pint of dark matter, please.
Jan 7, 2017
The 100th Meridian
5 and 1 baby!!!!!!!
Lovely stuff.

My thoughts ->

I am traveling and missed that game, just catching up now.

I will give the Yotes a lot of credit their passing is sharp, not sure how this team loses 12 in a row. They are playing better than their record reflects, but thats hockey, yes?

Love the two points, love Schuffes first goal. The Dogs first one was tough to take - some broken D.

Banking points at this time of year is awesome, such a nice turnaround from last year!

KFC is finding his scoring mojo, he is money when the game is on the line.

Vilardi's goal was magical, that guy is delivering as promised. Such a cute little backhand.

My apologies @Jet for the missed Sawyer interview parodies.. if anyone can find one of his interviews, please post it somewhere and I will watch and skewer is as tradition and required.

Last edited:

kanadalainen

Jan 7, 2017
The 100th Meridian
tattooed-shakespeare-mathew-mcfarren.jpg

When Dogs shalt be disposed of in a tight fought icy hoot,
And KFC uncorks his OT bucket of salt, herbs and spices,
Upon the packed Life-filled arena and dead Dogs we'll shoot,
And hope for Hellboy to press hard, expose dog-borne vices.
With mine own almond tankard being best acquainted,
Upon this season’s opening few can I set down a story
Of some tough schedules and recent wins not for the fainted,
Aye, this dogg-ed win shalt glean begrudged glory:
And Lurch shall pummel and excel – in a fist flurry set-to;
Sending my loving thoughts to sustain this winning rally,
The sickness that chance might conspire’gainst Money to do,
We stoics in Jetland vantage, and double-vantage we.
Such is my love, for slagged Jets flagged I so bang the gong,
That for microscopic rights achiev’d, will inspire this rhym-ed song.

kanadalainen

Jan 7, 2017
The 100th Meridian
But it's still OK to celebrate wins. Someone once said that not all games will be Picassos. Sometimes you'll have a paint-by-numbers, and sometimes you'll put up a finger painting.
Liking the painting analogies rampant.

Not all Picassos indeed, this one was more of a Lowe Farm inspired Van Gogh. Chug a few potatoes and discuss the weather kind of game.

1708944723343.jpeg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad