Post-Game Talk: Jets 3 - Blues 2

raideralex99

Whiteout Is Coming.
Dec 18, 2015
West Coast
If anyone doesn’t think Stanley is in just for his physicality dream on!
Stanley would not even be on the team if the Jets had a big physical defense man that's what they are missing in the playoffs just look at the 2 goals the Blues scored ... both of them were rebounds.

Jet

Chibby!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
They'd be far more robust with the chip tracking technology. You'd be able to take into account things like how the puck got to a shot location, the velocity speed of the shot, probably even shot placement, was there a screen, did the goalie have to move or where they set when the shot was taken.
So, actually scientifically sound metrics, not ones with a bunch of ambiguity and human error pollution.

That's been my problem with hockey advanced stats from day one.

People call me a dinosaur but they don't bother trying to understand why I have an issue with them.

Properly compiled and used analytics are incredible tools.

Reactions: Buffdog and surixon

Weezeric

Jan 27, 2015
So, actually scientifically sound metrics, not ones with a bunch of ambiguity and human error pollution.

That's been my problem with hockey advanced stats from day one.

People call me a dinosaur but they don't bother trying to understand why I have an issue with them.

Properly compiled and used analytics are incredible tools.

Kyle Connor is credited with 3 high danger scoring chances all season, including on the powerplay. That tells you all you need to know.

Jet

Chibby!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
Kyle Connor is credited with 3 high danger scoring chances all season, including on the powerplay. That tells you all you need to know.
Id imagine with his shot accuracy, velocity and release the 'high danger' zone for him is expanded

Buffdog

Feb 13, 2019
I don't look at the xG charts during games but check them once at the end of the game and 90% of the time my "eye test" tells the same story as the xG stat at the team level. There are exceptions like last night's game where I didn't think either team generated much quality at 5v5 but xGs are over 2 for both teams but 90% my eyes tend to be in the same ballpark at a team level.

Generally for me, on an individual game basis I find Corsi more indicative of the play flow and xG useful in aggregate only after ~20 games as it tends to fluctuate pretty dramatically before that.
Do you think that if someone showed you 10 different stats profiles from the game you just watched (one real one and 9 "placebos"), you'd be able to pick the real one out 90% of the time?

raideralex99

Whiteout Is Coming.
Dec 18, 2015
West Coast
I don't look at the xG charts during games but check them once at the end of the game and 90% of the time my "eye test" tells the same story as the xG stat at the team level. There are exceptions like last night's game where I didn't think either team generated much quality at 5v5 but xGs are over 2 for both teams but 90% my eyes tend to be in the same ballpark at a team level.

Generally for me, on an individual game basis I find Corsi more indicative of the play flow and xG useful in aggregate only after ~20 games as it tends to fluctuate pretty dramatically before that.
The problem I have with corsi is there's 12 guys on the ice ... how can you blame 2 players?
Yesterday's game for example 55/81 were on the ice for both goals but it was more of the defense's fault imo and maybe a little bad luck the rebounds goes right to a Blues player. A saw a couple of plays where a Jets D man makes a pass to get out of the DZ it hits a skate/stick and it goes to a Blues player. There's too many variables that's why an eye test is the best.
Every player has bad games that's a fact but according to corsi stats 55/81 are crap and that's what is holding back the Jets ... lmao Jets are 6-0 with 55/81 playing together in all 6 games.

raideralex99

Whiteout Is Coming.
Dec 18, 2015
West Coast
I was thinking about this yesterday.

We are all riding high right now. We have played well, but not 6 - 0 well. It's a small sample size. We have had some puck luck go our way. Helle can't hold a 0.948 all season long. And we won't have a 44% power play success rate at the end of the season either. But the start is very impressive and I will enjoy the ride while it lasts. At some point in time, we will have a tough streak. So piling up these point early on in the season will go a long way to helping get into the post season

Go Jets Go.
In yesterday's game who had more puck luck?
Jets or Blues?
Both of Blues goals were on rebounds even at the end where the Blues almost tied the game (great save by Helly) rebound went to a Blues player.
I could be wrong but I don't recall any rebounds going to Jets players in front of the Blues net ... mostly because they were missing the net.:laugh:
Imo Jets well the better team in all 6 games ... yes 10 mins they got caved by the Pens but its a 60 minute game.

Reactions: Jets 31

Joe Hallenback

Mar 4, 2005
I thought Binnington kept St Louis in the game, he made a 4 or 5 grade A stops in the 2nd. Could have been a 5 to 1 game going to the 3rd.

Sucks for St.Louis losing Thomas. That line was the only danger last night. Man they could go into a tailspin losing him for that long.

Reactions: Jet

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad