Post-Game Talk: Jets 3 - Blues 2

JetsFan815

Replacement Level Poster
Jan 16, 2012
Lost in this winning streak is that HF Jets has also set a new record.

This is the longest we've gone without a tank thread to start a season! :laugh:

tenor.gif

Don't tempt @nobody imp0rtant :laugh:

• Haha
Reactions: Jets 31 and SLAYER

Jetfaninflorida

Southernmost Jet Fan
Dec 13, 2013
Florida
I was thinking about this yesterday.

We are all riding high right now. We have played well, but not 6 - 0 well. It's a small sample size. We have had some puck luck go our way. Helle can't hold a 0.948 all season long. And we won't have a 44% power play success rate at the end of the season either. But the start is very impressive and I will enjoy the ride while it lasts. At some point in time, we will have a tough streak. So piling up these point early on in the season will go a long way to helping get into the post season

Go Jets Go.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg

We are all riding high right now. We have played well, but not 6 - 0 well. It's a small sample size. We have had some puck luck go our way. Helle can't hold a 0.948 all season long. And we won't have a 44% power play success rate at the end of the season either. But the start is very impressive and I will enjoy the ride while it lasts. At some point in time, we will have a tough streak. So piling up these point early on in the season will go a long way to helping get into the post season

Go Jets Go.

I agree. There will be some rough patches but I think having a cushion early allows you to better ride those out. Whereas teams with real awful starts are playing catchup most of the year.

Buffdog

Feb 13, 2019

Go Jets Go.
We're sitting 2nd in overall goal differential at +17 (Rangers are +19 and the next best after us is +9)

All stregth goal differential is a powerful predictor of future results... so that's a really good sign (although the sample size is small, as you said)

If we were 6-0 with a +5, I'd be more concerned. Save percentage will dip and the powerplay will go cold at some point, and we will in fact lose a game or two lol

Moloch

Mar 15, 2024
Theres a chance we beat seattle, a smaller chance we beat the flames, and an even smaller chance we beat the leafs, so it'll come in the next week im sure. But as many others have said, gotta ride this high while its.. high.

Aggie204

Expect the worst, you’ll never be disappointed.
Sep 11, 2015
East St Paul, MB
Theres a chance we beat seattle, a smaller chance we beat the flames, and an even smaller chance we beat the leafs, so it'll come in the next week im sure. But as many others have said, gotta ride this high while its.. high.
Out of those 3 teams, I do not, I repeat do not want the Laffs to beat the Jets.

I beg of you Jets, don’t let those degenerate, worthless bag of excrement Laff fans in the building leave happy.

Cypruss

Stand up for your beliefs.
Oct 18, 2018
LaSalle, Manitoba
We're sitting 2nd in overall goal differential at +17 (Rangers are +19 and the next best after us is +9)

All stregth goal differential is a powerful predictor of future results... so that's a really good sign (although the sample size is small, as you said)

If we were 6-0 with a +5, I'd be more concerned. Save percentage will dip and the powerplay will go cold at some point, and we will in fact lose a game or two lol
I would be very concerned as well with the bolded.....as it could not possibly occur if we were 6-0? Unless they are tabulating the differential with Dominion tabulation boxes.....then ANY number would be in play :)

Jet

Chibby!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
anyone have a timeline when Vilardi is coming back?:sarcasm:
That's right, sip - work your magic on him!!!

Honestly it's pretty great that we're doing so well without Vilardi really being impactful at all.

I'd love to see him on the Lowry line with Apples and give Nino some time up with the high event boyz.

I think both those lines could be pretty interesting.

Jet

Chibby!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
Is Stanley doing alright? Getting out-chanced 2:1 but scoring 2:1 is not going to continue forever.
Stanley is just fine considering its his second game back after meniscus surgery.

Your chart probably didn't include that :P

Honestly I hope they get Stan up to speed and then use situational deployment with him and Fleury. Keep them both fresh and ready. Then when Heinola comes back they can do the same with him and Miller. Let them all battle it out for the rest of the regular season and let the 2 best have the playoff spots. Could create some healthy competition and give us some solid depth in the postseason

Buffdog

Feb 13, 2019
I would be very concerned as well with the bolded.....as it could not possibly occur if we were 6-0? Unless they are tabulating the differential with Dominion tabulation boxes.....then ANY number would be in play :)
We could have a shoot out win and 5 one goal wins

Reactions: Cypruss

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Stanley is just fine considering its his second game back after meniscus surgery.

Your chart probably didn't include that :P

Honestly I hope they get Stan up to speed and then use situational deployment with him and Fleury. Keep them both fresh and ready. Then when Heinola comes back they can do the same with him and Miller. Let them all battle it out for the rest of the regular season and let the 2 best have the playoff spots. Could create some healthy competition and give us some solid depth in the postseason

I've stopped looking at those XGF charts this year and I've found the game much more enjoyable. They'd often pissed me off last year when there was a clear discrepancy in in what I saw vs what they recorded.

Buffdog

Feb 13, 2019
All wins count. But proper usage of the roster is also a important matter.
Which one is more important?

You got the point lol

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
I'd be curious to see the differences between nhl teams tracking vs public tracking

They'd be far more robust with the chip tracking technology. You'd be able to take into account things like how the puck got to a shot location, the velocity speed of the shot, probably even shot placement, was there a screen, did the goalie have to move or where they set when the shot was taken.

gojetsgo

Nov 1, 2015
They'd be far more robust with the chip tracking technology. You'd be able to take into account things like how the puck got to a shot location, the velocity speed of the shot, probably even shot placement, was there a screen, did the goalie have to move or where they set when the shot was taken.
I can even see something as simple as goal differential by lines be different, like connor's goal vs sharks, at the end of a shift vilardi sets up the rush picks up an assist but since he changed half a second before the goal was actually scored that line doesn't get credit for the goal...

Reactions: Buffdog and surixon

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
Agreed. Publicly available xGF%, is probably not very valuable to teams. That would want more information on shooter and shot quality. I would guess that gets broken down to details of where and how to position a player.

Reactions: Buffdog and surixon

JetsFan815

Replacement Level Poster
Jan 16, 2012
I've stopped looking at those XGF charts this year and I've found the game much more enjoyable. They'd often pissed me off last year when there was a clear discrepancy in in what I saw vs what they recorded.

I don't look at the xG charts during games but check them once at the end of the game and 90% of the time my "eye test" tells the same story as the xG stat at the team level. There are exceptions like last night's game where I didn't think either team generated much quality at 5v5 but xGs are over 2 for both teams but 90% my eyes tend to be in the same ballpark at a team level.

Generally for me, on an individual game basis I find Corsi more indicative of the play flow and xG useful in aggregate only after ~20 games as it tends to fluctuate pretty dramatically before that.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad