Post-Game Talk: Jets 2 - Wild 1 in OT

Buffdog

Feb 13, 2019
And 2 of the 3 games were against a lottery team and a team on the 2nd of a back to back missing their 1C and 1D. Good to get the wins and bank those points for sure but there are clear obvious issues, some of them the same issues as from last season which sank us in the playoffs.

I too love it when the 2 highest paid players on my fav team are outshot and outscored in the one situation where they play 80% of their minutes in. Esp when there is a simple proven fix which might bring both those lines to respectability at 5v5 while keeping the gravy train rolling at 3 on 3, PP and other situations. Last season the Jets had 3 6 on 5 goals, and 7 the season before, they already have 2 this season... there is hard cap to how much the Jets can win games in the manner they won these two.

In the end they are gonna live or die by their 5 on 5 play and the sooner that can be brought to respectability the better. They certainly should not be waiting until losses to try to make the changes, esp since the stuff that isn't working is so conveniently isolated that changes can be made without affecting things that are working.
Schief and Connor want to play together so they will. Get over it or find a new favorite team where the coach deploys his lines to your own personal satisfaction

This is a team that finished 4th overall and is 3-0 to start the season. They have found a formula to win that isn't limited to your narrow definition. How much more success do you need to see in terms of wins and points (which I'm sure you agree are the most important stats - even moreso than xGF % *gasp*) before you just shut up about this?

If we finished 23rd in the league and we were 0-3 to start the season than maybe people would take your tilting at windmills more seriously

Reactions: Jet and Jets 31

ThinIce61

Jul 11, 2018
Until we lose I doubt there will be much change to the lineup other than Bug Eyes getting a game at some point.

There is no scenario where Ehlers & Barron swap spots Ehlers is put on a line that even smells of a 4th line. Not in a contract year if the Jets have any intention of trying to resign him. Things will stay as they are in the short term.

At some point Coghlan will be waived. No brainer.

I don't think any of Fleury, Heinola or Stanley are waived or traded. We will run 8 D until something shakes out. We were relatively injury free on D last season. The odds that happens again are slim.

Gus is the extra F for the time being until we inevitably get hit with an injury and then Lambert/Chibrikov are the likely callups and we use IR so as not to potentially lose anyone to waivers.

Maybe Kupari and Names switch spots and/or Perfetti/Iafallo but Ehlers will always be a part of the perceived 2nd line.

We will lose at some point, then we'll see how that impacts the lineup choices. I'm hopeful that Arniel is a little more "players need to earn their spot in the lineup" than Bowness was who was more of a "loyalty over logic" guy when deciding on a lineup.

Go Jets Go.

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011
Until we lose I doubt there will be much change to the lineup other than Bug Eyes getting a game at some point.

There is no scenario where Ehlers & Barron swap spots Ehlers is put on a line that even smells of a 4th line. Not in a contract year if the Jets have any intention of trying to resign him. Things will stay as they are in the short term.

At some point Coghlan will be waived. No brainer.

I don't think any of Fleury, Heinola or Stanley are waived or traded. We will run 8 D until something shakes out. We were relatively injury free on D last season. The odds that happens again are slim.

Gus is the extra F for the time being until we inevitably get hit with an injury and then Lambert/Chibrikov are the likely callups and we use IR so as not to potentially lose anyone to waivers.

Maybe Kupari and Names switch spots and/or Perfetti/Iafallo but Ehlers will always be a part of the perceived 2nd line.

We will lose at some point, then we'll see how that impacts the lineup choices. I'm hopeful that Arniel is a little more "players need to earn their spot in the lineup" than Bowness was who was more of a "loyalty over logic" guy when deciding on a lineup.

Go Jets Go.
I don't see how Arniel suddenly pivots to Kupari as the 2C when he identified him as a bottom six forward. I've seen a little bit of chemistry between Namestnikov and Ehlers early in the season, quick passes between them, but nothing like the preseason chemistry.

That's where I wonder how Arniel deals with Perfetti's slump. Do you let him play out of it? Do you switch him in the lineup, maybe with Vilardi? Do you bring Lambert in? I think this might be the only season that Brad Lambert gets to play on the same team as Ehlers, and there is a big difference between Ehlers, and Toninato/AJF, in the development of a player. Iafallo moved up the lineup first last year, will it be the same this year? Game has been pretty consistent and productive in terms of zone possession times, at least to my eyes.

Reactions: roccerfeller

Jets 31

This Dude loves the Jets and GIF's
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
And 2 of the 3 games were against a lottery team and a team on the 2nd of a back to back missing their 1C and 1D. Good to get the wins and bank those points for sure but there are clear obvious issues, some of them the same issues as from last season which sank us in the playoffs.

I too love it when the 2 highest paid players on my fav team are outshot and outscored in the one situation where they play 80% of their minutes in. Esp when there is a simple proven fix which might bring both those lines to respectability at 5v5 while keeping the gravy train rolling at 3 on 3, PP and other situations. Last season the Jets had 3 6 on 5 goals, and 7 the season before, they already have 2 this season... there is hard cap to how much the Jets can win games in the manner they won these two.

In the end they are gonna live or die by their 5 on 5 play and the sooner that can be brought to respectability the better. They certainly should not be waiting until losses to try to make the changes, esp since the stuff that isn't working is so conveniently isolated that changes can be made without affecting things that are working.
If we were 3-0 but getting outplayed big time then i could see making changes but that's not the case, we haven't been outplayed in one of the 3 games so far. So Arniel walks in to the dressing room and says i know we are 3-0 boys but i don't like the underlying numbers so i'm switching up the lines and then we lose a couple of games, don't think that would go over very well.

Reactions: AlaskaJet

Eyeseeing

Fagheddaboudit
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2015
Too early to speculate what we are or how we will perform.
We should revisit the situation after 20 games.
There are several teams now that look bad now:
Oilers, Avs and Predators , that likely won’t be bad by years end ( Maybe Preds :DD ? )
We will likely be ok , would not expect last year’s points. ( Hope so , but doubt it )

Jet

Chibby!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
I don't see how Arniel suddenly pivots to Kupari as the 2C when he identified him as a bottom six forward. I've seen a little bit of chemistry between Namestnikov and Ehlers early in the season, quick passes between them, but nothing like the preseason chemistry.

That's where I wonder how Arniel deals with Perfetti's slump. Do you let him play out of it? Do you switch him in the lineup, maybe with Vilardi? Do you bring Lambert in? I think this might be the only season that Brad Lambert gets to play on the same team as Ehlers, and there is a big difference between Ehlers, and Toninato/AJF, in the development of a player. Iafallo moved up the lineup first last year, will it be the same this year? Game has been pretty consistent and productive in terms of zone possession times, at least to my eyes.
Yeah, while I see it as an intriguing thing to try, I think Kupari will have to start making good on his chances with some consistency to even have it enter Arniels head, and then, it might be tough to make that change because that will mean the 4th line is probably winning thier matchups consistently.

A 3-0 start has given the second line a bit more rope to figure it out. I do think Perfetti showed a couple of signs of getting up to speed last game, but I really do wonder if 27's chaotic game is going to work with the cerebral 91.

I do wonder if Ehlers might work with Connor simply due to the fact that Ehlers might be able to get the puck to Connor, who's world class release and accuracy could convert those passes. I'd worry about having Vilardi with Perfetti and Namestnikov due to speed issues and zone entries, though I think Names is pretty good at that.

The one thing that scares me about 81 55 27 as a line is there's a lot of potential for that to be a line that absolutely bleeds chances against.

I don't really love our top 6 makeup, I think a big 2C that could forecheck and win board battles would be a win there. God I wish Vilardi would convert to C on that line but again, speed would be a concern.

SLAYER

Cilantro Connoisseur
Oct 26, 2012
Winnipeg
My point is that I'm always the one responding. I'd never bring it up. It's the other guys who initiate these convos with their posts

I mean, you could save yourself some trouble and not worry about it too much... but you seem pretty invested in the discourse you claim to dislike.

Being right on HFBoards is a difficult burden to bear, I know.

Last edited:

Buffdog

Feb 13, 2019
I mean, you could save your some trouble and not worry about it too much... but you seem pretty invested in the discourse you claim to dislike.

Being right on HFBoards is a difficult burden to bear, I know.
What exactly am I wrong about?

JetsWillFly4Ever

May 21, 2011
Winnipeg MB.
I for one, would prefer my top players to outscore their opponents when on the ice at 5v5 (where 75% of the game is played).

Seems like a lot of people on this board don't care about that lol, and if you do you're a stinking nerd!

3-0 is nice, lot of work to do. Helle currently has like a .970 save percentage though that guy is the best.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad