Post-Game Talk: Jets 2 - Wild 1 in OT

raideralex99

Whiteout Is Coming.
Dec 18, 2015
West Coast
I think that's one way to look at it. The Jets caught a lucky break that Eriksson-Ek and Spurgeon were out for this game. Eriksson-Ek in particular changes the whole Wild lineup, he's their PP net front presence, and was the best player in the shellacking they gave us in St. Paul.

But maybe you are right. Winning one goal games in OT might be enough.

Love that Pionk got the 3rd star tonight. He's been maligned so much this offseason, and you see some chemistry between him and Samberg that carries off the ice too. Samberg's game looks strong, I'm glad he got the promotion this year.

I'd be curious to see the number of chances by d-pair given up early in the season, because it looks like Morrissey and De Melo have been a little loose defensively early on, giving up some grade As, and you expect that they will tighten up with some more games under their belt.
Injuries suck but it's part of the game sometimes it works for you and sometimes it goes against you nothing you can do about it.
Going into the season most people were worried about the defense, special teams, faceoff wins ,#2 center.
Looks like we worried for nothing ... 3 of the 4 have been solved already..
Defense looks good with Pionk & Samberg and Miller & Fleury
And after one week guess who is number one in the league in PP at 42.9% and PK at 100%.
The last 2 games the faceoff wins also have improved leading to important goals and time possession.
Basically the Jets are the same team as last year only with new coaches ... what a difference.
I know its only one week but if the Jets play like this all season they are a top 10 team easy.

The Big M

Dec 29, 2017
Moving forward id still take chisholm - both players are solid but hes 24
I've been very impressed with Fleury. A big man that maybe needed a couple more years to figure things out.
There was one play where Winnipeg was having problems getting the puck out against Chicago. He said, "I've got this" and took the puck on his own and raced up the middle of the ice killing the Chicago pressure.

Besides, he's great at shot blocking...even with his forehead.

Jets 31

This Dude loves the Jets and GIF's
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
Ehlers and Names aren't the problem on the second line it's Perfetti, he looks very slow out there right now. I am hoping it's because of missing some training camp time and he eventually picks up a little more speed.But i'm not complaining when we are 3-0 and aren't getting outplayed , just keep er going Jets.

Jet

Chibby!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
Good games from the chicken man and caribou legs

yummy, happy thanksgiving everyone
It's amazing. The stats crews' most hated pair win the last couple games for us, Ehlers continues his exhilarating rushes followed by the predictable pass to no one, but I'm sure none of that matters because acronyms!

Go Jets Go!

• Haha
Reactions: Buffdog and Jets 31

GaryPoppins

A broken clock is right twice in a day
Sep 10, 2016
When we we start to become concerned with 5v5 offense from the top 6? Line 2 ain’t meshing and 7 is playing above his head. Is it a new system tweak that’s been added that resulting in little to no goals?

Has this “analytics” summit really yielded any differences that anyone can see?

Jet

Chibby!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
The good:

Fleury. I was hoping it was his lack of action in tc/exy that made him look behind the play and it's looking like that may be the case. It's going to be quite the juggling act when we get bodies back on D

Pionk. Let's hope this is a Renaissance season - when he's playing well he's such a great mix of puck moving and snarl

Kupari. If he does what he did last night consistently I would be delighted. I do think he has even more to give, if he could ever get scoring. Can you imagine if he ended up being out answer to 2C? I know he has a looooong way to go but dang he could fit so well with 91 and 27

Bad:

Ehlers. Just shoot the f***ing puck Nik. You're going to do so much more by using that great shot, creating rebounds than you are forcing high risk passes through the middle.

Perfetti. Kids going to find himself on the 4th line if he doesn't get his shit together

Morrissey. This is bad "for Morrissey" he's been fine, but his hands and shot selection aren't quite there yet. I'm not worried at all, though.

When we we start to become concerned with 5v5 offense from the top 6? Line 2 ain’t meshing and 7 is playing above his head. Is it a new system tweak that’s been added that resulting in little to no goals?

It's funny that 7 is playing above his head but the real problem with line 2 is 91 and 27.

Names should be the perfect compliment for those 2. He's defensively responsible, a great passer and is the guy in that line that can actually show some grit. It should allow the other 2 to attack the net but they're both just spinning around the perimeter.

Jets 31

Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg

Could be way worse, we could be Edmonton.:laugh:

Royale With Cheese

----
Sponsor
Nov 24, 2006
It’s only 3 games in of course, but the PP is running at 43% and the PK at 100%. Numbers will obviously go down but I hope the systems / methods we are using that are leading to these early successes on special teams stick.

Jets 31

Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
The good:

Fleury. I was hoping it was his lack of action in tc/exy that made him look behind the play and it's looking like that may be the case. It's going to be quite the juggling act when we get bodies back on D

Pionk. Let's hope this is a Renaissance season - when he's playing well he's such a great mix of puck moving and snarl

Kupari. If he does what he did last night consistently I would be delighted. I do think he has even more to give, if he could ever get scoring. Can you imagine if he ended up being out answer to 2C? I know he has a looooong way to go but dang he could fit so well with 91 and 27

Bad:

Ehlers. Just shoot the f***ing puck Nik. You're going to do so much more by using that great shot, creating rebounds than you are forcing high risk passes through the middle.

Perfetti. Kids going to find himself on the 4th line if he doesn't get his shit together

Morrissey. This is bad "for Morrissey" he's been fine, but his hands and shot selection aren't quite there yet. I'm not worried at all, though.

It's funny that 7 is playing above his head but the real problem with line 2 is 91 and 27.

Names should be the perfect compliment for those 2. He's defensively responsible, a great passer and is the guy in that line that can actually show some grit. It should allow the other 2 to attack the net but they're both just spinning around the perimeter.
This is bang on, good summary but oooooooo you are in trouble now.The Scheifele and Connor haters are going to be all over you.:naughty::laugh:

• Haha
Reactions: Jet

Jack7222

Mar 17, 2021
I think the reason the "stats crew" hasn't changed their opinion on the Scheif - Connor pairing is that that pairing just hasn't performed well for six years in a row 5 on 5. That's a long time man. Should we really be acting like some frustrations aren't warranted?

All this about there being some crew that "hates" Scheif Connor and "loves" Ehlers is maybe people reading their own fandom into how other people operate, and kind of poisoning the well around here I think. If Scheif Connor pull their weight 5 on 5 I'm sure pretty much everyone will be happy, because they're obviously together regardless of what happens, so that would obviously be best for the team. But I just don't see how anyone can blame people for having doubts about it, or for having faith that Ehlers will come good, after everything we've seen for six seasons.

Maybe if you think things like goal % and shot share are some kind of voodoo then critics of our top line look more like they have some kind of personal vendetta, idk.

Slimy Sculpin

Dec 29, 2013
The good:

Bad:

It's early, but I like what I see in the 3rd D pairing. If they keep it up and hopefully get better, I don't know how Stanley gets in (I'm OK with that.) As for Heinola, who knows?
Yes, the "2nd line" is not playing as well I expected they might. More time required? I am concerned about what I see in Perfetti's lack of speed. He looks really slow out there. I thought that he might have worked on that aspect in the off season. Maybe he didn’t? (Maybe Sipowicz is on to something.) As for Ehlers, those passes to no one are getting frustrating.
Having said this, 3-0 is a great start.
Go Jets Go!

Reactions: Jet and voyageur

AtomicJets

Dec 20, 2014
55/81 Fenwick % looking great to start the year actually. Small sample, but encouraging. Most importantly they are putting the puck in the net on the PP which is their number one job.

Second line getting 75% offensive zone starts and being negative by every measure is concerning. However they should be allowed more time to grow chemistry together, especially with the other three lines performing well.

Reactions: BarnabyJones PI

Jet

Chibby!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
I think the reason the "stats crew" hasn't changed their opinion on the Scheif - Connor pairing is that that pairing just hasn't performed well for six years in a row 5 on 5. That's a long time man. Should we really be acting like some frustrations aren't warranted?

All this about there being some crew that "hates" Scheif Connor and "loves" Ehlers is maybe people reading their own fandom into how other people operate, and kind of poisoning the well around here I think. If Scheif Connor pull their weight 5 on 5 I'm sure pretty much everyone will be happy, because they're obviously together regardless of what happens, so that would obviously be best for the team. But I just don't see how anyone can blame people for having doubts about it, or for having faith that Ehlers will come good, after everything we've seen for six seasons.

Maybe if you think things like goal % and shot share are some kind of voodoo then critics of our top line look more like they have some kind of personal vendetta, idk.
Honestly what irritates me about the whole thing is that Ehlers is a stats darling and Scheifele + Connor are bashed as a pair. Although I agree 55 and 81 spend far too much time in their own zone, my eye test sees them doing more positive things and Ehlers negative that are actually driving results.

A bird in the hand etc.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad