Post-Game Talk: Jets 2 - Wild 1 in OT

B33R LEAGUE

"Just another day at the office" -Byfuglien
May 19, 2021
I like what Fluery has done thus far and think he would be a gritty playoff performer

Agreed.

I wonder what happens when Stan and Heinola come back?

Fleury is probably the odd man out.

Heinola gets in.

Stanley plays pressbox 7D.

and Miller stays?

macmaroon

Winnipeg Jets fan since 1972
Sponsor
Sep 3, 2011
Winnipeg Manitoba
www.macmaroon.com
I basically had the game on in the background while my brother was talking to me...

giphy.gif

...so I couldn't tell you how the Jets played, other than they won. I give the game three "Blah Blah Blahs" out of five...

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

Don't get me wrong, I love my brother, but don't talk to me during the Jets game...:pullhair: And then he's all quiet during the Flames/Oilers game...:doh:

The Prediction Contest for the game against the San Jose "Baby Sharks" dodododo has been posted for your guesses. I will be making the GDT for this game, but there are still plenty of other games that are available, so...

giphy.gif

Oh, sorry, I thought I was talking to my brother. Anyway just sign up today...

giphy.gif

bustamente

Fraud Supporter
Jun 29, 2015
Fraud City MB
Jets will have interesting decisions to make when and if both Stanley and Heinola are good to go. Obviously Coghan will be put on waivers, but what happens to Fleury and Miller. If the Jets are playing well and there are no injuries can you justify taking them out. Can you have both Stanley and Heinola in the press box, do you try to move one of them. Or do you rotate all four depending on the game.

Reactions: GNP and gojetsgo

LowLefty

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 29, 2016
Third line has been our most consistent line which I don't think there's much disagreement. Our top 6 has been kind of blah. Second line in particular has been non existent. I think ehlers is trying hard, a bit to hard, perhaps to over compensate for Perfetti and Names. Maybe lack of preseason and TC due to Perfetti’s "hold out" hurting their chemistry early on?
I think you might be on to something with the lack of playing time for the second group in camp -
IMO, Ehlers needs to settle down and and play some up and down hockey with the other two - because that's the game they play.
I also think they will sort if out at some point - I wouldn't mess with them until they've had a few more reps.

As a side note, it looks to me like all three are very much out of sync - maybe they need to sit down over a beer and have a chat about what they're trying to achieve out there and how they can get on the same page.

Reactions: sipowicz

MardyBum

Jul 4, 2012
Winnipeg, Manitoba
Where in his post did @raideralex99 mention anything about how schief and Connor are outscoring their opponents?

All he said was that they were, indeed, outscoring their opponents and the Jets are winning. Both of those are facts

You brought up the 5v5 issue in your usual condescending way

You're right. When they were talking about outscoring the opposition, they meant 6v5 and 5v4 and not 5v5. Look how good they do with an extra man.

:laugh:

raideralex99

Whiteout Is Coming.
Dec 18, 2015
West Coast
I basically had the game on in the background while my brother was talking to me...

giphy.gif

...so I couldn't tell you how the Jets played, other than they won. I give the game three "Blah Blah Blahs" out of five...

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

Don't get me wrong, I love my brother, but don't talk to me during the Jets game...:pullhair: And then he's all quiet during the Flames/Oilers game...:doh:

The Prediction Contest for the game against the San Jose "Baby Sharks" dodododo has been posted for your guesses. I will be making the GDT for this game, but there are still plenty of other games that are available, so...

giphy.gif

Oh, sorry, I thought I was talking to my brother. Anyway just sign up today...

giphy.gif
Too funny that’s exactly what happen to me so I went to my den with my dog and watched the game. I don’t mind reheating my dinner 😃

raideralex99

Whiteout Is Coming.
Dec 18, 2015
West Coast
You're right. When they were talking about outscoring the opposition, they meant 6v5 and 5v4 and not 5v5. Look how good they do with an extra man.

:laugh:
If I remember correctly … last year’s PP was crap.
Haters are going to hate on 55/81. When they start scoring more 5v5 goals what will be the excuse … they only do it on Sundays?

MardyBum

Jul 4, 2012
Winnipeg, Manitoba
If I remember correctly … last year’s PP was crap.
Haters are going to hate on 55/81. When they start scoring more 5v5 goals what will be the excuse … they only do it on Sundays?

I'm all for them playing every single second together 4v4 3v3 5v4 6v5 etc etc.

It's the 5v5, y'know (or maybe you don't) the majority of the game that they're not great.

Lowry line and Kupari line thumbs up. The other two thumbs down.

Reactions: Jack7222

JetsFan815

Replacement Level Poster
Jan 16, 2012
Kupari and Lowry lines fantastic again.

Names line showed some signs of a pulse... didn't generate any dangerous chances but atleast generated some shots and had some zone time. Still they don't look threatening.

Top line had their moments at even strength but still leave something to be desired in that situation.

Very strong game for Pionk after a stinker against Chicago.

Helle had a couple of huge saves against the run of play in the 3rd that save the Jets asses.

WolfHouse

Oct 4, 2020
Kupari and Lowry lines fantastic again.

Names line showed some signs of a pulse... didn't generate any dangerous chances but atleast generated some shots and had some zone time. Still they don't look threatening.

Top line had their moments at even strength but still leave something to be desired in that situation.

Very strong game for Pionk after a stinker against Chicago.

Helle had a couple of huge saves against the run of play in the 3rd that save the Jets asses.
Wonder if swapping barron and ehlers would provide a spark? Maybe kupari and ehlers end up with some chemistry

Reactions: Upperdeckjet

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011
I think you might be on to something with the lack of playing time for the second group in camp -
IMO, Ehlers needs to settle down and and play some up and down hockey with the other two - because that's the game they play.
I also think they will sort if out at some point - I wouldn't mess with them until they've had a few more reps.

As a side note, it looks to me like all three are very much out of sync - maybe they need to sit down over a beer and have a chat about what they're trying to achieve out there and how they can get on the same page.
I wonder if you can expect the same results as last year with a different coaching system. My eyes tell me the Jets are playing more aggressive, that they are purposefully working possession, the attack points might be different too under a new system. Certainly seems like Ehlers is being asked to get to greasier areas.

I do think they are out of sync. But all the other 3 lines have guys who battle hard on the wall, go to the scoring areas, this line doesn't . It has to rely on other means to keep possession. Moving the puck quickly and attacking with speed. I mean Minnesota had some small guys buzzing around the net, so there isn't anything to stop this line from doing the same. But I don't see that hard battle level in any of the 3.

My own personal preference would be to see Lambert called up for a game against San Jose, and give Perfetti a night in the pressbox to maybe get a little fire in him. Might light two fires at once that way. Because I think the rule is if you have 3 lines going and 1 not, and you are winning, don't mess with the chemistry. Or maybe you do make a switch like Iafallo and Perfetti, so you have a greasier guy, who can work the boards, go to the net, make some room for the skaters to work with.

raideralex99

Whiteout Is Coming.
Dec 18, 2015
West Coast
When the team is winning why make changes?
Yes the second line needs to get going but as long as the Jets are winning it’s okay and just maybe that line will come around by playing together more … who knows?
What needs to be talked about more is the Jets defense … Pionk and Samberg have upped their game and I have no complaints about the 3rd pairing Miller & Fleury. Morrissey and Demelo are great and to think people were worried about the Jets defense this year.

Last edited:

sipowicz

The thrill is gone
Mar 16, 2011
Agreed.

I wonder what happens when Stan and Heinola come back?

Fleury is probably the odd man out.

Heinola gets in.

Stanley plays pressbox 7D.

and Miller stays?
Heinola is always great until he actually starts playing, not so sure he even beats out Fleury who has size and speed.

Heinola’s problem is playing in his own which is kinda big for a D man!

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011
When the team is winning why make changes?
Yes the second line needs to get going but as long as the Jets are winning it’s okay and just maybe that line will come around by playing together more … who knows?
What needs to be talked about more is the Jets defense … Pionk and Samberg have upped their game and I have no complaints about the 3rd pairing Miller & Fleury. Morrissey and Demelo are great and to think people were worried about the Jets defense this year.
I think that's one way to look at it. The Jets caught a lucky break that Eriksson-Ek and Spurgeon were out for this game. Eriksson-Ek in particular changes the whole Wild lineup, he's their PP net front presence, and was the best player in the shellacking they gave us in St. Paul.

But maybe you are right. Winning one goal games in OT might be enough.

Love that Pionk got the 3rd star tonight. He's been maligned so much this offseason, and you see some chemistry between him and Samberg that carries off the ice too. Samberg's game looks strong, I'm glad he got the promotion this year.

I'd be curious to see the number of chances by d-pair given up early in the season, because it looks like Morrissey and De Melo have been a little loose defensively early on, giving up some grade As, and you expect that they will tighten up with some more games under their belt.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad