Post-Game Talk: Jets 2 - Hawks 1 in OT

Jet

Chibby!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
Neal Pionk really channeling his 21 playoff performance there....games with Minnesota are usually good...I think Sunday will be fun.
Loved the hip hipcheck on Bedard. I really think he and Sammy should round into a solid pair.

That sets us up for a 3rd pair of Ville and Milly - which stylistically could be a great fit as well.

Stan could be on the outside looking in again, and then have Fleury as injury depth. Not sure if he'll clear though.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
Helle wins one. I tell you what jets that Colorado series broke my heart. But that was pretty good. Top players had more gas at the end of the game than everyone else. Keep winning and my heart gets less and less broken.

Colorado series didn’t break me, it was the last straw to set me free (and no I’m not drunk :laugh:)

Reactions: WolfHouse

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
Yup I'm going to just enjoy the regular season but the playoffs are really going to be a 'show me' time with this group.

I am at peace with the fact this isn’t a playoff group (as in they can get there but it’s not their jam). However, we get 82 games every year and I enjoy NHL hockey. My expectations have been reset.

Last edited:

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011
Loved the hip hipcheck on Bedard. I really think he and Sammy should round into a solid pair.

That sets us up for a 3rd pair of Ville and Milly - which stylistically could be a great fit as well.

Stan could be on the outside looking in again, and then have Fleury as injury depth. Not sure if he'll clear though.
I could see a 3rd pairing of Stanley-Fleury competing with Heinola-Miller.

Miller seems slow out there to me. The kind of d man good skaters can beat off the edge. Which is what Stanley can be too, though his reach makes up distance.

Fleury keeps blocking shots, he'll stay in the lineup.

His skating allows him to get into a lot of rushes, which it seems like d-men are green lighted to do this year.

The only other perceptible changes I noticed team wise is there are a lot of zone entries on one touch plays at the blue line.

Reactions: Buffdog

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
I am not sure about Ehlers Perfetti on same line, but lets at least see how it looks like when Perfetti gets in to better form.
last year i thought the line was good, and that was with ehlers coming into the year a bit slow w/ no TC due to injury. Ehlers is a bit all-over the place rn and Perfetti is a non-factor in the play. i am sure they'll turn it around, all 3 are good players but just imo through 2 gp.

NA Hockey

Nov 16, 2015
Great two wins.

Second line has to be better. First line needs to be a lot better 5 on 5. Considering Villardi is playing 18 mins+ with our two best offensive players in all of the high leverage offensive situations, he has been invisible particularly at 5 on 5. Never touches the puck, soft defensively, not winning battles and not nearly himself on the PP. Going to need more from him.

3rd line was amazing in game 1, ok in game 2.

4th line has been strong

In Helly we trust.

EDIT: The number of egregious turnovers by 81 and 27 is concerning.

Last edited:
Reactions: Inanna

Buffdog

Feb 13, 2019
Considering Villardi is playing 18 mins+ with our two best offensive players in all of the high leverage offensive situations, he has been invisible particularly at 5 on 5. Never touches the puck, soft defensively, not winning battles and not nearly himself on the PP. Going to need more from him.
You must have missed that one-timer off the crossbar and the cross-crease pass to schief that missed connecting by an inch

I think he's going to have a great season. He looks a half step quicker to me too

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Great two wins.

Second line has to be better. First line needs to be a lot better 5 on 5. Considering Villardi is playing 18 mins+ with our two best offensive players in all of the high leverage offensive situations, he has been invisible particularly at 5 on 5. Never touches the puck, soft defensively, not winning battles and not nearly himself on the PP. Going to need more from him.

3rd line was amazing in game 1, ok in game 2.

4th line has been strong

In Helly we trust.

EDIT: The number of egregious turnovers by 81 and 27 is concerning.

I thought the second line was better last night but a lot of its more positive play was undone by Ehlers trying to do way too much and loosing and turning the puck over most of the game.

First line was its usual high event self both ways. They had some real good looks but also gave up a lot.

I think both lines took a step forward and hopefully we see another step tomorrow.

Howard Chuck

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2012
Winnipeg
Have you guys considered that names line is the new shut down line. 🤔
1728747585888.gif

NA Hockey

Nov 16, 2015
You must have missed that one-timer off the crossbar and the cross-crease pass to schief that missed connecting by an inch

I think he's going to have a great season. He looks a half step quicker to me too
I saw them, real nice shot and a good pass. That accounts for about 4 seconds of ice time of his 20:29 of ice last night. He was invisible for 99% of the game. You put anyone in that spot and they are bound to look good for 4 seconds out 20 mins.

I think he is going to have a good season as well.

Jet

Chibby!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
Me to, as a big Perfetan fan:sarcasm:

Seriously his lack of speed and size limit him, don’t know how he is a legit top 6!
There was one play where his lack of speed was really poignant last night. He tried to break free for an odd man chance and got closed on so fast. I'm hoping part of that was just conditioning, and he can still find ways to be effective not being quite as fleet of foot but it was pretty disturbing

sipowicz

The thrill is gone
Mar 16, 2011
There was one play where his lack of speed was really poignant last night. He tried to break free for an odd man chance and got closed on so fast. I'm hoping part of that was just conditioning, and he can still find ways to be effective not being quite as fleet of foot but it was pretty disturbing
As another poster stated, I'm giving him another game or two before I write him off!

Seriously, his ineffective play seems to have carreied over from the second half of last season. Ehlers< Nims and Perfetti sure isn't working right now!

Reactions: raideralex99

DrChar

Jul 13, 2023
How long are we going to fumble around with our ‘2nd’ line again this year? They look like a massive liability again, and in current state feel like a line that will get caved in post allstar break.

I don’t see them flipping ehlers and Connor long term (and this may not be the long term answer either for the perfetti line) - would you rather see some ahl reinforcements or is a significant trade still a necessity to get past the first round?

Reactions: sipowicz

raideralex99

Whiteout Is Coming.
Dec 18, 2015
West Coast
We all saw the 2 games and can agree the second line is the weakest link and needs to get going.
They looked bad but lets remember they never played together and it was obvious with Ehlers give aways, Perfetti not shooting trying for the perfect pass and yes Perfetti almost scored but the goalie made a great save. The play with the fast break Perfetti looked bad (slow) because he was trying to figure out what his linemates were going to do.
Nice to see Scheifele get to 300 and game winner ... I'm glad they won only because I would have to read that 81 & 55 need to be broken up because they were on the ice for the Hawks goal. Yes they were on the ice BUT it was because of Pionk pinching in that lead to the goal not because of 81 & 55 that's why I don't believe in corsi ... eyes test always tells the truth.

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
As another poster stated, I'm giving him another game or two before I write him off!

Seriously, his ineffective play seems to have carreied over from the second half of last season. Ehlers< Nims and Perfetti sure isn't working right now!
you'd think after the whole contract stuff and trying to fleece chevy & the jets, he'd come out guns blazing with that dawg in him to prove his worth, kind of like guenther in utah. however, he's done the opposite and continued where left off last 50 or so games last year.

Reactions: voyageur

WolfHouse

Oct 4, 2020
We all saw the 2 games and can agree the second line is the weakest link and needs to get going.
They looked bad but lets remember they never played together and it was obvious with Ehlers give aways, Perfetti not shooting trying for the perfect pass and yes Perfetti almost scored but the goalie made a great save. The play with the fast break Perfetti looked bad (slow) because he was trying to figure out what his linemates were going to do.
Nice to see Scheifele get to 300 and game winner ... I'm glad they won only because I would have to read that 81 & 55 need to be broken up because they were on the ice for the Hawks goal. Yes they were on the ice BUT it was because of Pionk pinching in that lead to the goal not because of 81 & 55 that's why I don't believe in corsi ... eyes test always tells the truth.
Cue the eye test v corsi v confirmation bias v xgf v halo effect v plus minus 40.page debate...

#freeehlers

• Haha
Reactions: voyageur

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad