Player Discussion Jesse Ylonen #56

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
I was a huge advocate because I saw his potential while he played in Laval. He had his chance and didn't seize it.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I was a huge advocate because I saw his potential while he played in Laval. He had his chance and didn't seize it.

Has to be a contract limit issue. What's the harm with signing him and then sending him to the AHL. Gets claimed or not but that's better than than letting him walk. Laval can use him right?

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I think he will catch on somewhere. He's got some nice tools.

Same here. Habs probably realized that as well but we have a cluttered pool that's filtering into Laval and have to manage the 50 contract limit. This has to be about the contract limit.

Bet you he becomes a solid bottom 6F for someone. Probably needs one full NHL season and he never had it yet. Also dealing with lots of line-up changes and no real stable spot.

The other layer I was pondering about is he might have a hard time comprehending our development coach and what they wanted him to focus/improve on.

Leon Lucius Black

Nov 5, 2007
Best for both Ylonen and the Habs.

Ylonen gets a shot somewhere else, if not he'll go to Europe. On the Habs he's not good enough for our top 9, and he's useless playing on the 4th line. Even in Laval I'd rather give his minutes to Farrell, Mesar, Heineman etc.

Naslundforever

43-67-110
Aug 21, 2015
Bunch of new kids on the block, you can’t fire the vets to make room.

Always wondered why he has not put up numbers; great skating, hands, shot, goes to the boards…

Reactions: The Gr8 Dane

Gaud

May 11, 2017
Bunch of new kids on the block, you can’t fire the vets to make room.

Always wondered why he has not put up numbers; great skating, hands, shot, goes to the boards…

My guess is that he had nothing elite. One guy is the goon, another the scorer, another the Defensive mission guy, the other the shot blocker, the faceoff center.. etc. Ylonen is kind of ok at everything, but doesnt stick out for anything. That makes him a kind of jack of all trades, only we have too many of those guys already, and they are better and can even play C in some cases (RHP comes to mind)

I was hoping Ylonen was going to be a lekhonen type, but he is more of a big meh.

The Gr8 Dane

L'harceleur
Jan 19, 2018
Montreal
I like Ylonen when he has the puck on his stick but he never does. I think he can still carve a nhl career or else he will just buzz in europe

I was hoping Ylonen was going to be a lekhonen type, but he is more of a big meh.
Yeah , he has good skills , if he had a bit of Lekhonens skillset to actually recover pucks he would be a much better player , he doesn't put himself in good positions to recover pucks or play well enough away from the puck to get open enough to be an option for teammates out there.

Reactions: Naslundforever

schwang26

Mar 15, 2022
He had the same inconsistency and lack of drive in Laval.

Think Pacioretty in his captaincy years but with fewer goals.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad