Jesse Puljujarvi Part 8 | Signs 2-Year Pact with Oilers ($1.175M per); Loaned to Karpat

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zaddy

Feb 8, 2013
I have a little more recent video as well. I am planning on doing these until the NHL season starts. This was the first regular season game, not the best game for Pulju, but it had its moments.

I have been thinking that he should just use a stick with a lower lie. I think it would suit his skating style.

I really like his motor in this video. Works hard and competes for pucks. As long as he does that the coach will be happy and trust him with ice time. Nice goal too.

voxel

Testicle Terrorist
Feb 14, 2007
Florida

Just watched this video to try and remind myself what JP was like when he was here last. If you watch it he is lethal around the net.. cleaning up rebounds left and right

If you noticed almost all the NHL clips never feature his horrible puck handling except for two where he barely holds onto the puck. If you watch the Liiga clip he’s infinitely more confident and controlled with the puck. He also scores a goal from in tight also in the Liiga game.

HockeyHistorian

Mar 17, 2015
If you noticed almost all the NHL clips never feature his horrible puck handling except for two where he barely holds onto the puck. If you watch the Liiga clip he’s infinitely more confident and controlled with the puck. He also scores a goal from in tight also in the Liiga game.
The puck handling has come a long way. It's still not perfect, but so much better than before.

tabs

Oct 30, 2009

Just watched this video to try and remind myself what JP was like when he was here last. If you watch it he is lethal around the net.. cleaning up rebounds left and right

Honestly if we move out Chiasson, Pully should be tried as the net front rotating with Neal. He looks like he could do some damage there with his size, strength, and reach.

Oilhawks

Oden's Ride Over Nordland
Nov 24, 2011
Imagine if Pulju was really better than Tkachuk all along and proves it.

d00.gif

Oilers Propagandist

Relax junior, it’s just a post.
Aug 27, 2016
Edmonton, AB
As you've seen at least us Pulju's fans who are still writing here have hopefully proved we are excited that he's returning to the Oilers. Not another NHL team, KHL or staying in Finland, but specifically to Edmonton.

While we're talking about a worse league Pulju has drawn some serious attention as SKA St.Peterburg acquired his rights and obviously some NHL teams, including the CBJ were interested about him. That's another sign why the Oilers should explore what they have in him, hopefully already in the preseason.

Another reason why I'd love Pulju to succeed in the Oilers is to make the other teams regret they didn't accept what Holland demanded. I'm so glad Holland stayed strict, but those teams still had a chance to get Pulju for a reasonable price so I hope they'll really regret the missed opportunity in the near future.
I wish him all the best, I seriously do. But I have a strong feeling that if Pulju starts playing bad that you guys will turn on us so quick. Many Pulju homers are already talking shit on the mains about how our players bullied him and some other nonsense as well. Kind of reminds me of the Linus Omark homers. I only care whats best for the team so now that he is signed, him doing well is in every Oilers fans interest.

Reactions: frag2 and 780il

Whyme

Nov 3, 2019
I wish him all the best, I seriously do. But I have a strong feeling that if Pulju starts playing bad that you guys will turn on us so quick. Many Pulju homers are already talking shit on the mains about how our players bullied him and some other nonsense as well. Kind of reminds me of the Linus Omark homers. I only care whats best for the team so now that he is signed, him doing well is in every Oilers fans interest.

I understand how you feel and what you're saying, but I dare to say this won't be the case. All I expect is that he gets a fair chance to show what he's got and I have every reason to believe that'll be the case this time. Sorry for the wording "this time", but while I'm not saying Pulju didn't have any faults in his game I wasn't happy about how Todd used him. However, I don't mean to go to that now as my excited eyes are set on the following season :)

Reactions: HockeyHistorian

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
I really like his motor in this video. Works hard and competes for pucks. As long as he does that the coach will be happy and trust him with ice time. Nice goal too.

When he dove for the one puck that helped them keep possession I couldn’t believe that it was actually Puljujarvi. If that would have been a couple years ago he would have just circled back into the neutral zone.

Whyme

Nov 3, 2019
When he dove for the one puck that helped them keep possession I couldn’t believe that it was actually Puljujarvi. If that would have been a couple years ago he would have just circled back into the neutral zone.

Some other differences include the way he uses his strength and how he trusts his hands more, as can be seen at the very start of that most recent video clip. Earlier he was big, now he's definitely big and strong. While soft Donskoi-like hands probably won't ever be one of his best assets he's much better with the puck and has even done some very promising things with it.

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
Some other differences include the way he uses his strength and how he trusts his hands more, as can be seen at the very start of that most recent video clip. Earlier he was big, now he's definitely big and strong. While soft Donskoi-like hands probably won't ever be one of his best assets he's much better with the puck and has even done some very promising things with it.

Yes there are a lot of things to like about how he is playing right now and how his game has improved. I hope they can transition over to the NHL and make him a more effective player than he was in his first years with the Oilers.

Whyme

Nov 3, 2019
Yes there are a lot of things to like about how he is playing right now and how his game has improved. I hope they can transition over to the NHL and make him a more effective player than he was in his first years with the Oilers.

I would almost bet my balls (tennis balls to be on the safe side) that even Pulju that we saw in the Oilers would've been a much more useful player if someone like Tippett had been in charge. Could've meant more time in the AHL first and then usage that would actually use the strengths he had as he did have some already then. However, things did go to wrong direction and the 3rd year (or half a year as he didn't play the full season) was a huge disappointment to me too.

He naturally won't be able to do all the same things in the NHL as time and space will be limited, but he looks like a machine right now (though has still room to improve) and for sure he should be much readier this time.

Last edited:

McIce Whole

Jan 7, 2008
Edmonton
I’m stoked for Puju to come back. Admittedly, I was of his “fan boys” that wanted him to get top 6 minutes. Hated the way Mclellan and co were developing him.

I have faith in Tipp to get the most out of him as a player. I look at a player like Wheeler, he was drafted in 2004, made an impact in the league in 2008 and broke out in 2011.

Can see Puju following a similar trajectory. Maybe not as good as Wheeler in his peak but wouldn’t be surprised if he comes in and has a very strong season for us.

Here’s to hoping he dethrones Kass from the top line and becomes that goal scoring winger for Connor that we drafted him to be :cheers:

McDrai

Mar 29, 2009
I’m stoked for Puju to come back. Admittedly, I was of his “fan boys” that wanted him to get top 6 minutes. Hated the way Mclellan and co were developing him.

I have faith in Tipp to get the most out of him as a player. I look at a player like Wheeler, he was drafted in 2004, made an impact in the league in 2008 and broke out in 2011.

Can see Puju following a similar trajectory. Maybe not as good as Wheeler in his peak but wouldn’t be surprised if he comes in and has a very strong season for us.

Here’s to hoping he dethrones Kass from the top line and becomes that goal scoring winger for Connor that we drafted him to be :cheers:

Call this premature but I have Puljujarvi penciled in on the 1st line with McDavid. I'm not a fan of Kassian in a top line role and think he is best suited to the 3rd line. Puljujarvi of course is going to have to earn that spot but with his newfound confidence he could very well turn out to be the best right winger on the Oilers by the end of the season.

Tyrolean

Feb 1, 2004
I disagree with this. I don't want to see Pulju glide ever. A guy with his big body needs to be proactive and assert himself and always be in the face of opponents, playing hard. That gliding mentality is exactly what is setting him back. That's the kind of game undersized skill guys play. I want to see a Puljujärvi who is always moving his feet.

He looks much bigger than I've ever seen him this season. He looks like an absolute truck. Imagine the fear he could put in defenders to see him come skating down hard on them on the forecheck every time. He could be a legit top line power-forward getting 60+ points a year if he played that style. McDavid would love playing with a guy like that.

He seems to have really grown into his body now. He could bully NHL defenders with his size and skating if he wanted to, and he has enough skill to put up points to take advantage of the chaos he'd be able to create.

The good news is that from the snippets I've seen so far it looks very much like he's getting more involved now and playing more physical, which is nice to see, because once he's back on the small ice in North America he won't have the same time and space as in Liiga so it's paramount that he's ready for that style of hockey this time around.
Finland's ice is actually smaller than the standard European ice area. Not the same as NA but closer than in most of Europe.

Hagged

Jul 6, 2009

I was never a big fan of pulju, but during the last two years he has finally evolved to the player some posters saw back in the draft when they said Pulju>Laine. I was always higher on Laine but my view has recently changed. If everything clicks, In my view he can be the better two way player of the two while still being the better playmaker and goal scorer of the two as soon as next season. Perhaps even a Kurri like career as a goal scorer. I'm stoked to see Pulju 2.0 in the NHL, it will be like night and day compared to his last stint, mark my words.

Reactions: PulYou

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
I was never a big fan of pulju, but during the last two years he has finally evolved to the player some posters saw back in the draft when they said Pulju>Laine. I was always higher on Laine but my view has recently changed. If everything clicks, In my view he can be the better two way player of the two while still being the better playmaker and goal scorer of the two as soon as next season. Perhaps even a Kurri like career as a goal scorer. I'm stoked to see Pulju 2.0 in the NHL, it will be like night and day compared to his last stint, mark my words.

I for one would be very surprised if he surpasses Laine as a goalscorer.

Zaddy

Feb 8, 2013
Finland's ice is actually smaller than the standard European ice area. Not the same as NA but closer than in most of Europe.

I'm aware of that. Still bigger and most importantly it's a different style of hockey. It's not fast-paced north-south hockey. Like in most of Europe it's more east-west, slow-paced, defensive hockey.

PulYou

Feb 16, 2018

I am one of those who thought that Puljujärvi was going to be the best player out of those three Laine, Aho and Puljujärvi, Aho as a good second. Aho though has since proven to be a very good player in the NHL, so the rank order remains to be seen.

I am still anticipating that Puljujärvi’s ceiling will be high right there with Mikko Rantanen’s ceiling. Hopefully Tippett is able to help him in this development. I believe Holland as a proven GM knows this and this is why he was hesitant to trade Pulju.

Reactions: Whyme

CanmoreMike

Feb 27, 2002
#YEG

That draft in 2016 I assumed the big-3 were going to go 1-2-3 and my favourite of everyone else was Pierre LucDubois. I wanted him or I wanted to trade down to late in the lotto and get Charlie McAvoy and another pick.

Matthew Tkachuk scared the shit out of me seeing how a couple of London Knights players have come to us and their numbers were boosted by their line mates. Gagner makes junior success was mostly thanks to Patrick Kane and Robbie Shremp was thanks to Corey Perry. And if you look, Marc Pouliot had an amazing final season...playing with Sidney Crosby.

Aerrol

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Sep 18, 2014
The puck handling has come a long way. It's still not perfect, but so much better than before.

This is great news. Puck handling was his biggest deficiency when we last saw him in the NHL. The next biggest thing was consistently engaging physically, which he also seems to have improved on (granted in a much less physical European league).

I definitely have my fingers crossed for him to play well for us and stick with the team - I love his personality - but I am keeping my expectations low for now. Still, happy to hear he's worked on his deficiencies while away.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
This is great news. Puck handling was his biggest deficiency when we last saw him in the NHL. The next biggest thing was consistently engaging physically, which he also seems to have improved on (granted in a much less physical European league).

I definitely have my fingers crossed for him to play well for us and stick with the team - I love his personality - but I am keeping my expectations low for now. Still, happy to hear he's worked on his deficiencies while away.
well, who does he have to beat out for a RW top six spot? Yamamoto has one, but the other? Ennis? Kassian? Not insignificant but if JP has the goods he will quickly ascend

tellermine

Oct 21, 2018
Köln, Helsinki, Lappeenranta
Ok.
Hmmmm.... Have seen 2 games from Puljujärvi this season and in both he has been bad...
I am starting to worry.

Today he basicly fumbled every pass he got, fell to ice easily etc. .

He might be trying to hard and is driving himself to nuts now.

Ok. But he has played goid games also!
Lets hope for the best!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad