Jesse Puljujarvi Part 8 | Signs 2-Year Pact with Oilers ($1.175M per); Loaned to Karpat

Status
Not open for further replies.

Whyme

Nov 3, 2019
I didn't watch the game, but some people said he tried too hard today. It may be an excuse, but it was six days since the previous game and he had two 2+1 games behind and the freshly signed contract with the Oilers. He's not a machine, as far as I know every NHL player in the FEL has had some worse games so hopefully tomorrow will be a better day for him.

JustaFinnishGuy

Joonas Donskoi avi but not a SEA fan ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Mar 3, 2016
Finland
This game was his worst of the season, and stylistically he hasn't played well at all, but he has scored 7 points in 5 games.
Tomorrow is another day but he really hasn't done much outside the 3rd periods in the IFK and Pelicans games, which netted him 6 points altogether.
He has started abysmally and only had some flashes of good play, especially in the Pelicans game, but that's literally all for the start of the season.

kiekkoisa

Jan 11, 2019
This game was his worst of the season, and stylistically he hasn't played well at all, but he has scored 7 points in 5 games.
Tomorrow is another day but he really hasn't done much outside the 3rd periods in the IFK and Pelicans games, which netted him 6 points altogether.
He has started abysmally and only had some flashes of good play, especially in the Pelicans game, but that's literally all for the start of the season.

I agree, cant really see how he could be top 6 forward in Edmonton. I have seen 4 Pulju games this season and he is good at open ice with the puck because of his reach and speed. Wrist shot is solid. Bad parts of Pulju are that he loses fights near the boards in liiga even he is so big and has great strength. Biggest flaw is that he cant pass and doesnt see the right option well. Kärpät 4th liner Jari Sailio can pass better and knows what to do.

Reactions: TheNumber4

HockeyHistorian

Mar 17, 2015
I agree, cant really see how he could be top 6 forward in Edmonton. I have seen 4 Pulju games this season and he is good at open ice with the puck because of his reach and speed. Wrist shot is solid. Bad parts of Pulju are that he loses fights near the boards in liiga even he is so big and has great strength. Biggest flaw is that he cant pass and doesnt see the right option well. Kärpät 4th liner Jari Sailio can pass better and knows what to do.
I have to disagree with everything except the positives.

JustaFinnishGuy

Joonas Donskoi avi but not a SEA fan ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Mar 3, 2016
Finland
He's abysmal at getting himself open for a play on the powerplay for the second year in a row. He also relies too much on his skating with his puck handling in transition being pretty dodgy.
Obviously I'm holding him to a way higher standard than your basic Liiga player, but that's the attention one gets by default when one is associated with the NHL.

Last edited:
Reactions: TheNumber4

ijuka

May 14, 2016
I don't think he's meaningfully improved his problem points. He seems to just play in his comfort zone and I think people will be disappointed if they expect him to have actually improved.

Emil Bemström is an NHL 3rd liner who currently leads Liiga in scoring and has been much more of an impact player than Puljujärvi has. That's the reality at the moment.
Sounds objective.

Whyme

Nov 3, 2019
Emil Bemström is an NHL 3rd liner who currently leads Liiga in scoring and has been much more of an impact player than Puljujärvi has. That's the reality at the moment.

I think your reality is wrong this time. I've read a lot of critique from fans of Bemström's team (HIFK Helsinki) and from what quite little I've seen he's been pretty lame 5-on-5, clearly behind Pulju.

At even strength Bemström's got one goal and two 2nd assists in 7 games. He's scored 4/5 of his goals on special teams (5-on-3, 5-on-4 and 3-on-3). Bemström's also played two games more so Pulju's PPG is still better.

Pulju is +7 (the highest of the league with Kunyk), Bemström is +1. Last year Pulju had the best corsi in the FEL (62,2%), this year it's a bit behind with 59,1%. But Bergström's is 53,9%.

You don't have to like Pulju's performance, but you chose a pretty bad example with Bemström. Sorry this turned to Pulju this and that, that wasn't my point...

Last edited:

Stoat

Jan 5, 2014
Oulu
Pulju was really bad yesterday. He made so many terrible decisions on powerplay that I almost cried. Of course the whole team played poorly yesterday, but I think that the players like JP are supposed to carry the play when everyone else is playing bad.

I really hope that Manner will notice and let someone else do the playmaking on PP. I'm pretty sure that JP will bounce back as soon as quarantine is over.

McSuper

5-14-6-1
Jun 16, 2012
Halifax
Yes, he fell down because the opponents couldn't handle him cleanly and had to take a penalty. I'd say Pulju is strong even for NHL, but I think there's a lot of potential to improve upon his play along the boards, not that it's bad. For Liiga it's great, but NHL is, as you said, another deal.

That is pure legend. The hardest reliably measured shot in the NHL is Chara's 108.8 mph from 2012. Martin Frk hit 109.2 mph in the 2020 AHL all star game.

What you saying might be true but they do list the fastest as 118 . Just like Tampa cup in 2004 which clearly Calgary won . Lots get written as fact when it clearLy isn’t .

Smartguy

May 3, 2010
Edmonton

The situation came to a resolution when the two sides came to an agreement on a one year “show me” deal worth $1.387 million.
“He has been assured his ice time will increase to between 15 and 16 minutes per game and that he will play a regular role on the power play and the penalty kill,” Holland said at the time.

I don’t remember Holland saying this? So that’s surprising. 15-16 minutes a night, unless he’s going to get tried at PP 1, means he’s at the very least starting on the second line. Curious to see what happens when he struggles and those minutes possibly go down again. Also very surprised to see Holland of all people promising minutes, after saying in his pre draft presser something along the lines of “we are a professional hockey team, not in a position to make promises”.

HockeyHistorian

Mar 17, 2015
The situation came to a resolution when the two sides came to an agreement on a one year “show me” deal worth $1.387 million.
“He has been assured his ice time will increase to between 15 and 16 minutes per game and that he will play a regular role on the power play and the penalty kill,” Holland said at the time.

I don’t remember Holland saying this? So that’s surprising. 15-16 minutes a night, unless he’s going to get tried at PP 1, means he’s at the very least starting on the second line. Curious to see what happens when he struggles and those minutes possibly go down again. Also very surprised to see Holland of all people promising minutes, after saying in his pre draft presser something along the lines of “we are a professional hockey team, not in a position to make promises”.
He is talking about Athanasiou in Detroit.

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
This thread has taken a very dark turn.

there’s always a Debbie downer in every thread it seems. Posters who relish the opportunity to be negative about players. There’s plenty of them in this thread, the Benson thread, the Broberg thread, the Bouchard thread, we even saw it in the Yamamoto threads before he was called up. It’s like a disease that only affects a select few Oilers “fans” where they just can’t help but be negative even when all the news is good. Most of them took an opinion of a player in previous years and cannot handle that the player they don’t like is proving them wrong.

Oilslick941611

Jul 4, 2006
Ottawa
there’s always a Debbie downer in every thread it seems. Posters who relish the opportunity to be negative about players. There’s plenty of them in this thread, the Benson thread, the Broberg thread, the Bouchard thread, we even saw it in the Yamamoto threads before he was called up. It’s like a disease that only affects a select few Oilers “fans” where they just can’t help but be negative even when all the news is good. Most of them took an opinion of a player in previous years and cannot handle that the player they don’t like is proving them wrong.
this board is DOMINATED with these posters. When the team is winning games this board is a ghost town, but on a losing streak or when bad news happens is a thriving little mining town.

HockeyHistorian

Mar 17, 2015
Still not playing?
Jesse plays his first game post-quarantine today.

I must say that I was getting bored watching Liiga hockey without Jesse, but at least I have a broader sense of where different teams and players are at so I can do better comparisons in the future.

Reactions: PulYou

Whyme

Nov 3, 2019
I usually don't like to explain things beforehand, but I would not be surprised if today's game is more difficult for Pulju and his team as they've had just one game in 2,5 weeks. Yesterday was the first time for 11 days they could practise as a team (three corona cases in the team) so it'll be interesting to see how it goes today.

HockeyHistorian

Mar 17, 2015
First period was pretty good. Jesse looked hungry and had at least two good scoring opportunities. Did not appear rusty. In fact he looked better than in the last game which was an off game for the whole team.

Reactions: PulYou and Dorian2
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad