Jesse Puljujarvi Part 8 | Signs 2-Year Pact with Oilers ($1.175M per); Loaned to Karpat

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
Not sure how anyone can defend the amount of time Lucic wasted in the top six simply by saying "vets are always going to get the benefit of the doubt". But yeah I agree with the rest. Hes totally dominating in Finland right now, hopefully he can carry some confidence over to the NHL when he comes back.

Sorry, wasn't defending the usage of Lucic. Or even really the usage of Puljujarvi. I think I would have just gone the other direction with him than you're maybe implying. Once it became clear early on that he wasn't ready for the show my opinion is they should have sent him down. Either to the AHL or loaned him out to Finland for a year or two. Instead they did this weird in and out of the lineup up and down from the minors dance for 3 years. It was disservice to his development.

The Oilers very obviously did something wrong the first time around with Pulju during his ELC. Not everyone may agree on the specifics of what they did wrong, but whatever it was is in the past now. New management, new coach, some new linemates and 1.5 years of development in a league that he could really grow his game and a positive attitude (and even some improved English to boot!). I'm excited to see what he can do once we get started again whenever that may be.

GrinningBuddha

Nov 22, 2010
Extended highlights from yesterday. This was a good one, though not the best we've seen from him this year.

I'm seeing a lot of smart little plays Pulju is making in this video. Good, high percentage passes to keep the play alive, using his big body to shield the puck during possession, no panic or need to get rid of the puck and good positioning on the PP to get open for a shot.

These are all skills that will translate well to the NHL game. He's playing well against lesser competition but making decisions that will also work against better opponents. Very encouraging.

Also, if anyone is concerned about his speed or skating, check out the chance at 8:57 where he flies up the ice to get open and create an odd-man rush.

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
Sorry, wasn't defending the usage of Lucic. Or even really the usage of Puljujarvi. I think I would have just gone the other direction with him than you're maybe implying. Once it became clear early on that he wasn't ready for the show my opinion is they should have sent him down. Either to the AHL or loaned him out to Finland for a year or two. Instead they did this weird in and out of the lineup up and down from the minors dance for 3 years. It was disservice to his development.

The Oilers very obviously did something wrong the first time around with Pulju during his ELC. Not everyone may agree on the specifics of what they did wrong, but whatever it was is in the past now. New management, new coach, some new linemates and 1.5 years of development in a league that he could really grow his game and a positive attitude (and even some improved English to boot!). I'm excited to see what he can do once we get started again whenever that may be.

I actually agree 1000% with this (didnt so much at the time). But looking back on it, it is clear as day that Jesse wasnt ready. He wasnt fully healed from his knee surgery in time for camp, he didnt have any time to train properly in the offseason, and he simply wasnt ready for the demand of the NHL season as a 17 year old lanky kid. A year in Finland and then a year (or year and a half) in the AHL would have helped him immensely.

HockeyHistorian

Mar 17, 2015
I'm seeing a lot of smart little plays Pulju is making in this video. Good, high percentage passes to keep the play alive, using his big body to shield the puck during possession, no panic or need to get rid of the puck and good positioning on the PP to get open for a shot.

These are all skills that will translate well to the NHL game. He's playing well against lesser competition but making decisions that will also work against better opponents. Very encouraging.

Also, if anyone is concerned about his speed or skating, check out the chance at 8:57 where he flies up the ice to get open and create an odd-man rush.
Some of my personal favorites that might get overlooked, in chronological order:

2:50
Showing some of that explosiveness.

6:20
Great forecheck, hits the D and takes the puck.

11:05
Keeps the possession in a tight spot.

Reactions: PulYou

bobbythebrain

Jul 30, 2016
I actually agree 1000% with this (didnt so much at the time). But looking back on it, it is clear as day that Jesse wasnt ready. He wasnt fully healed from his knee surgery in time for camp, he didnt have any time to train properly in the offseason, and he simply wasnt ready for the demand of the NHL season as a 17 year old lanky kid. A year in Finland and then a year (or year and a half) in the AHL would have helped him immensely.

Love the BS narratives being slung around.

From day 1 it has always been his acclimation to culture and his language and his maturity in handling that adjustment.

TM told us so, Chia told us so and Holland just reiterated that, also saying he has seen it many times. JP even came out and half admitted as much

Trying to blame it on injuries and a bunch on nonsensical excuses is a foolish errand

Truth is JP wasn't ready to be a pro and the organization banked way too much on his ability to do so b/c of his size. Big body....little brain

The time away didn't hone his skill as much as it honed his maturity and comprehension. Again, he totally admitted that

Last edited:

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017

From day 1 it has always been his acclimation to culture and his language and his maturity in handling that adjustment.

TM told us so, Chia told us so and Holland just reiterated that, also saying he has seen it many times. JP even came out and half admitted as much

Trying to blame it on injuries and a bunch on nonsensical excuses is a foolish errand

Truth is JP wasn't ready to be a pro and the organization banked way too much on his ability to do so b/c of his size. Big body....little brain

The time away didn't hone his skill as much as it honed his maturity and comprehension. Again, he totally admitted that
This is why oiler fans hating on him for "going home" is ridiculous. He was a 18-20 year old. We don't all make the best decisions at that age.

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011

WuThe?

His second year he had 12 goals in a shortened season with almost no PP time and limited minutes role...

He was actually injured and it was easy to see as his last season went on...

While I'm sure those other things didn't help/were part of his struggles...

WuThe heck narrative you spinning?

Lol you are trying to say he was an idiot, terrible player, given equal opportunity as guys like Letestu, Caguillia, and Lucic? ALL because he was immature and didn't know the language/culture.

Rotflmao.

There were mistakes on both sides of this situation his situation was more than just culture shock.

bobbythebrain

Jul 30, 2016
This is why oiler fans hating on him for "going home" is ridiculous. He was a 18-20 year old. We don't all make the best decisions at that age.

Fine line, but I don't think people were as pissed at him for going home as much as his stubbornness to acclimate.

This really all started when he flew back to Finland every year, came back and admitted to media he didn't work on English, then complained about his treatment

Informed fans were able to link the interviews by management about his dedication to being here.

Ya, he was young and definitely gets some leeway for that, but he also has a ton of expectations to put in the effort to become a pro, set by many players before him. He didn't do that, so he deserves some of the blame

Ofcourse, maturity is a tricky thing so you can't expect the same from all individuals

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
Fine line, but I don't think people were as pissed at him for going home as much as his stubbornness to acclimate.

This really all started when he flew back to Finland every year, came back and admitted to media he didn't work on English, then complained about his treatment

Informed fans were able to link the interviews by management about his dedication to being here.

Ya, he was young and definitely gets some leeway for that, but he also has a ton of expectations to put in the effort to become a pro, set by many players before him. He didn't do that, so he deserves some of the blame

Ofcourse, maturity is a tricky thing so you can't expect the same from all individuals
Both sides definitely had faults in this situation. Hopefully he comes back ready to earn a spot and play well, and I’m sure all will be forgiven if that happens.

bobbythebrain

Jul 30, 2016
WuThe?

His second year he had 12 goals in a shortened season with almost no PP time and limited minutes role...

He was actually injured and it was easy to see as his last season went on...

While I'm sure those other things didn't help/were part of his struggles...

WuThe heck narrative you spinning?

Lol you are trying to say he was an idiot, terrible player, given equal opportunity as guys like Letestu, Caguillia, and Lucic? ALL because he was immature and didn't know the language/culture.

Rotflmao.

There were mistakes on both sides of this situation his situation was more than just culture shock.

W..T..F...

Such a cop out to blame management for his "role" on the team. Pure ignorance and lack of understanding and comprehension to facts

Letestu when everyone cried wolf was put on the PP and performed, was explained he was good on the PP historically and performed. Whiny fans...whined

Again, you have TWO senior management stating they "underestimated his English" as a detriment to his growth on the team.

Now Holland is reiterating that as something he has seen MANY times in his 40 years in hockey

Stop w/ the bs excuses and perhaps open your ears instead of inventing narratives or conspiracy theories

Datsyuk went thru the same thing w/ Holland

I have no probs deriving my conclusions from long standing testimonies of the people surrounding the player vs the connect the dots scenarios made by those who want to create their own narratives, especially when some of those facts come the player himself

Last edited:

bobbythebrain

Jul 30, 2016
Both sides definitely had faults in this situation. Hopefully he comes back ready to earn a spot and play well, and I’m sure all will be forgiven if that happens.

What fault did Edm have exactly? Not having the hindsight to acknowledge he wouldn't mature enough in the A? Is that really a fault?

It is so simplistic to say they should have the "forsight" to leave him in Europe another year given his talent and physical maturity at that age

It's been proven adnauseum already that he admitted he didn't put forth the proper effort, and a teammate already told us as much.

Like honestly...what more do people need....a punch in face??

Last edited:

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
What fault did Edm have exactly? Not having the hindsight to acknowledge he wouldn't mature enough in the A? Is that really a fault?

It is so simplistic to say they should have the "forsight" to leave him in Europe another year given his talent and physical maturity at that age

It's been proven adnauseum already that he admitted he didn't put forth the proper effort, and a teammate already told us as much.

Like honestly...what more do people need....a punch in face??
Could have left him in the AHL to work on his game until Hitchcock got here and tried to play hero.

delusional to think the only blame falls on puljujarvi.

bobbythebrain

Jul 30, 2016
Could have left him in the AHL to work on his game until Hitchcock got here and tried to play hero.

delusional to think the only blame falls on puljujarvi.

His AHL game was passable, so no, wrong answer. His attitude to detail was the problem.

Leaving him the AHL was not the answer or the problem, leaving him in NA was

It's a massive jump to say EDM was at 50% fault to not recognize his ability to put his game together off the ice

This is a leap of faith almost EVERY team deals with and fans almost always overlook

It's just utter horsesh** for people to act like he wasn't given any instruction by management, especially being a high pick. Bouchard has already destroyed that narrative, so did Marancin, Kassian and Maroon, Lucic, etc, etc

Fleming also came out and said flat out(harshly btw) what would hold him back from the NHL

Again, there is TONS of info to derive from if you just take the time

But ofcourse, it comes down to he wasn't played w/ McD enough or given prefered PP time in most cases. Easy peasy answers

Last edited:

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
His AHL game was passable, so no, wrong answer. His attitude to detail was the problem.

It's a massive jump to say EDM was at 50% fault to not recognize his ability to put his game together off the ice

This is a leap of faith almost EVERY team deals with and fans almost always overlook

It's just utter horsesh** for people to act like he wasn't given any instruction by management, especially being a high pick. Bouchard has already destroyed that narrative, so did Marancin, Kassian and Maroon, Lucic, etc, etc

Fleming also came out and said flat out(harshly btw) what would hold him back from the NHL

But ofcourse, it comes down to he wasn't played w/ McD enough or given prefered PP time in most cases. Easy peasy answers
I never said they were at 50% fault. I said they both had faults in their relationship.

Reactions: tabs

PulYou

Feb 16, 2018

I really would like You to present Your sources on Your narratives... I understand that this is how YOU comprehend the world, but it is not what happend in reality. So Your sources to Your narratives?

m0rkoli

Jan 3, 2019
upload_2020-10-12_14-11-56.png

Reactions: PulYou

urho

Sep 12, 2008
Oulu
His puck protection skills finally have matured. That was my biggest on ice issue with him. He’d fumble and lose the puck entering the zone or during the cycle.

I remember reading that he was still growing as an 18 year old. A couple of cm's a year or so. Him fumbling the puck might happen just because of that. And he had that structural damage in his hips, you can see how much more nimble and shifty he's been after he got the surgery.

He's clearly a lot better than he was a couple of years ago. It's a combination of coming back from injuries, growing to his frame, getting his confidence back and maturing. Obviously it's not a given but he has the skills to become a star player in the NHL. On the ice he's smart and effective. I mean I cannot think of any player with his size being that explosive on his skates. He's so fast it looks unreal when you're watching him live.

HockeyHistorian

Mar 17, 2015
I remember reading that he was still growing as an 18 year old. A couple of cm's a year or so. Him fumbling the puck might happen just because of that. And he had that structural damage in his hips, you can see how much more nimble and shifty he's been after he got the surgery.

He's clearly a lot better than he was a couple of years ago. It's a combination of coming back from injuries, growing to his frame, getting his confidence back and maturing. Obviously it's not a given but he has the skills to become a star player in the NHL. On the ice he's smart and effective. I mean I cannot think of any player with his size being that explosive on his skates. He's so fast it looks unreal when you're watching him live.
I think he is 6'5 nowadays. Weight is probably somewhere around 210 - 220. Probably a damn low body fat percentage too. He just looks so huge out there. He had one the biggest wingspans at the combine in 2016, so he has a ridiculous reach as well. If he hits it off, sky's the limit. There's no doubting his physical tools and I don't doubt his processing of the game either.

Things he should still work on, IMO, are finishing and battling. He has the strength to win battles and he has gone a long way technique wise, but there's still room to improve.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
Hopefully the boys welcome Jesse back. Connor especially. This could eventually be the winger that he has been missing.
Glad the kid is maturing. That is huge and I think we have the perfect coach in place to help him succeed.
Before, McDavid and Drai were focused on playing together as much as possible and JP got in the way of that a bit. Now, especially if we are done, McDavid would or should be viewing JP as his best bet to get success 5 on 5

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad