Player Discussion Jeremy Swayman: VII- As featured in Episode 3 of Amazon's "FACEOFF: Inside the NHL

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

How does this saga end?

• Bridge deal

Votes: 52 21.3%
  • Long term deal

Votes: 66 27.0%
  • Trade

Votes: 126 51.6%

• Total voters

smithformeragent

Sep 22, 2005
Milford, NH
@Gee Wally

We have numerous deletions and more in here. We know tension and emotions are high.
But you folks must simply stop taking personal shots at each. Stay to topic.

If not we will be left with no choice other than adding thread bans.

BOSTON — Boston Bruins president Cam Neely suggested Monday that the team has made an eight-year offer to unsigned restricted free agent goaltender Jeremy Swayman at $8 million annually.

“I don’t want to get into the weeds with what his ask is,” Neely said at a news conference at TD Garden. “But I know that I have 64 million reasons why I’d be playing right now.”

Neely did not disclose what Swayman’s ask has been but said he was surprised by it.

So far, Swayman is holding firm to his demand. It aligns with his personality of not backing down, especially following his uncomfortable 2023 arbitration hearing. According to Neely, Swayman wants to set a new market for goalies, specifically ones under team control.

“What his ask is and what we believe his comp group is,” Neely said, “are two different things.”

General manager Don Sweeney said he remains in contact with Lewis Gross, Swayman’s agent. The Bruins are not interested in trading Swayman.

“Ultimately, we’re a better team, as I’ve said all along, if Jeremy is part of our hockey club,” Sweeney said. “That’s my intention. That’s my wish. I’ll continue to work to do that. I think Jeremy and the team are both hurt in this regard. That’s what I’ll do. I’ll continue to work hard to find a settling point.”

With only three preseason games left, it is likely Swayman will miss regular-season time, even if an agreement is pending. Coach Jim Montgomery designated Joonas Korpisalo as his goalie for the regular-season opener against the Florida Panthers on Oct. 8, regardless of Swayman’s situation. The Bruins have two full practices remaining in camp.

“Where we are in camp right now, with how well camp has gone and how well Korpisalo has done,” Montgomery said, “right now, he’s going to be our Game 1 starter.”

How good is the offer?​

Swayman would become the fifth-highest-paid goalie in the NHL under the Bruins’ offer, behind Sergei Bobrovsky, Andrei Vasilevskiy, Connor Hellebuyck and Ilya Sorokin. Only Vasilevskiy ($9.5 million average annual value) signed his contract as a pending restricted free agent. The others were due to become unrestricted.

It is a significant payday for Swayman, considering he has never been a regular-season No. 1 goalie.

Last edited:

nORRis8

The NHL, the stupidest League ever.
Sep 16, 2015
RedDeer, Alberta
gross has a history but I only really paid attention to the Nylander stuff mainly thru Leafs board and it was 100X more shit show then this
Listened to Frank Seravelli on Tuesday.
Tested my IQ a few times last month and it ranged in around 131-139.
After listening to him spew for over an hour I can honestly say it dropped to 110.

Completely pro-player.
The other two assclowns as well squashed the Nylander story but one thing is certain....
Nylander was looking for 7 million. Basically to get overpaid by 3.5 million.He's an RFA man!!!! He scored like 48 goals in his 2 1/2 seasons!!!
He holds out right till December 1st when a deal is done.
Leafs stroke a cheque for 6.9.:oops:
Something definitely happened, likely some sidestepping on Nylanders part.

In the end...players just want to play hockey.
Swayman...no different.

BigBadBruins7708

Dec 11, 2017
Las Vegas
Does Umaine not offer business classes on arbitration hearings?

But if you're that guy who wants top dollar shouldn't you move the needle? Spend that money on a goal scorer then

He did, he's the reason they were even in round 2.

Doesn't matter how good a goalie is, they arent going to overcome an anemic offense. (not saying he's on this level, dont get all defensive) Hasek lost a 7 game series with a .950 sv%

Reactions: KillerMillerTime

SwayHeyKid

Mar 14, 2022
Did he say check on he was not reliable in the playoffs? Insinuating that they where wrong?

This kid is a clown and should be sent packing.

Please Bruins get rid of him, this is going to be a disaster if you sign him.

"Their biggest knock was that I wasn't trustworthy in the playoffs" They brought up ridiculously his 3 wins in 5 games vs the Canes and his game 7 loss vs Florida on him. In case you missed it THEY TRUSTED HIM TO BE THEIR NUMBER ONE GOALIE THESE PAST PLAYOFFS. Check.

Reactions: KillerMillerTime

PatriceBergeronFan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 15, 2011
USA
Like I’ve pointed out plenty of times here, the cap issues come not from signing your best players to fair market deals, but from extending yourself on overpayments to bottom of the roster players. In this case, Korpisalo, Peeke, and Zadorov jump right to the top of the list.

I’m mean shit, would you rather overpay your starting goalie by a little bit or grossly overpay your bottom pairing dmen and your back up goalie? It’s foolhardy to be arguing over a small amount of money for an impact player when you’re paying your bottom pairing nearly $8 mill a year collectively.

Ask Toronto how overpaying the top crippled the franchise as well.

A very delicate balance.

Ideally pay players what they are worth especially internally, non unrestricted free agents.

Giving Swayman $9.5 because it's only 1.5 extra adds quickly.

McAvoy and Pastrnak accepted fair value offers. No discount, but hardly overpaid. Swayman accepting 8x8 should be an easy decision even for his ego.

• Haha
Reactions: Pia8988

TD Charlie

Sep 10, 2007
I do not want a trade. At all. Perhaps I’m wrong but i can’t see the value being great, especially if he goes public with the trade request. I also don’t trust Sweeney to navigate the trade.

Reactions: PatriceBergeronFan

KrejciMVP

Jun 30, 2011
Tampa, Florida
He did, he's the reason they were even in round 2.

Doesn't matter how good a goalie is, they arent going to overcome an anemic offense. (not saying he's on this level, dont get all defensive) Hasek lost a 7 game series with a .950 sv%

Have to factor in the leafs typically puke all over themselves come playoff time. Bruins goalies almost never lose to Toronto

Reactions: BMC

EverettMike

FIRE DON SWEENEY INTO THE SUN
Mar 7, 2009
Everett, MA
twitter.com
I see things different

Are you hoping the Bruins crash and burn with Korpo?

No, my thoughts have to do with Jeremy Swayman, the salary cap, the front office, and this fanbase. Without getting into the actual specifics, because it doesn't matter and I don't have the energy to explain myself or for the responses I'd get, I just want to see him move on to a place that isn't Pittsburgh of Montreal so I can still wish him well.

Reactions: Pia8988

KillerMillerTime

Jun 30, 2019
Shades of Bergeron/Krejci to Coyle/Zacha.
They dropped 26 points in that transiton. Now that was from a NHL record 135 points,
so a drop of 26 points wasn't surprising.

So, if you now go from one of if not the best tending tandems to Korpisalo. Patera, Bussi its completely reasonable to expect a drop of 10 points. Then factor in a normal increase of games lost due to injuries in their top 7F from last year (12G total to say 18G total) and that could cost them 3-4 points. That puts them in WC territory. Any
major injury to Pastrnak, Marchand, Lindholm, Zacha or Coyle would have them 9th
in EC.

badbrewin

Sponsor
Jan 13, 2007
Montreal
This in a nutshell is what's wrong with the team today. Worrying about paying bottom of the roster stiffs and washed dudes on PTOs instead of taking care of players that are their future. At no point in this world should signing Tyler f***ing Johnson impact anything regarding the Swayman deal.
A guy who competes hard and got 17G / 14A on an atrocious Chicago team last season is far from washed up. His preseason sampling has been very good and TJ was brought in here in case Merkulov and Lysell didn't take the next leap....and guess what.

PB37

Mr Selke
Oct 1, 2002
Maine
You can phrase it any way you want and say it over and over. All it means is he and Swayman have the same number of Vezina Trophies. Your comp hasn’t won a thing and he hasn’t won a playoff series. Couple that with him having lesser numbers across the board in everything except games played, and I don’t even know why this is being debated.

Because there isn't a debate. Saros has been in serious contention for Vezinas while Swayman has not. Saros has proven he can handle a 60 plus workload for several years in a row now - Swayman has not. Whether you like it or not, that is a better resume and that's why the Bruins initial offers started with figures similar to guys like Saros when he was roughly the same age and similar circumstance in replacing the former Vezina level goaltender #1 of the team. That wasn't good enough for Swayman's camp so the Bruins upped their offer, skipping a bridge deal, and have an offer on the table similar to those who have proven themselves as #1 guys - still not enough and the Bruins most likely have no interest in helping Swayman's wish of setting a new market for goaltenders without having done anything of note yet in his career to demand that.

Number8

Oct 31, 2007
Then we walk him through the streets of Boston, naked, with the shame bell being rung methodically
Quick question before I head off to grocery store. Will I be allowed to throw rotten fruit and vegetables at him?

No worries if answer is no. Just don't want to have a shitload of cabbage around if I don't need to. Tends to give me gas and that's no fun for anyone.

4ORRBRUIN

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 27, 2005
boston
I'd like to point out once again that Jeremy Swayman responded to an arbitration hearing that personally upset him by performing as a world-class professional. It didn't impact his play. It actually motivated him to play the best hockey of his career.

Isn't that what the best athletes always do? They use people questioning them as motivation to prove them wrong rather than wallow?

Even if someone thinks he's being a "baby" about arbitration on the ice he responded like a f***ing man
Yes ,he is a baby. Your version of being a fing man is a different than mine.

Problem is he wants to get paid "like the fing man" when he hasn't proven he is.

Pia8988

May 26, 2014
For those of you eager to see him gone I think you'll get your wish because I predict tomorrow he's going to say he wants a trade citing Cam Neely's lie and lack of trust with the organization.

At best he signs a short term deal to get on the ice and facilitate a trade, but Boston has no franchise goalie anymore

Reactions: EverettMike

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
For those of you eager to see him gone I think you'll get your wish because I predict tomorrow he's going to say he wants a trade citing Cam Neely's lie and lack of trust with the organization.

That would be interesting, especially since I don't think there is a trade market for him right now that makes sense. They would be asking someone to give them assets in line with the player value which, whatever is said here, is solid, and then have to be willing to play $8.5m + a year, probably on a long term. That's a situation where I think there would be very few takers. Unless he is willing to take less because it's not the Bruins, which is a possiblity too.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad