GDT: Training Camp discussion - Abruzzese on waivers and other cuts

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

conFABulator

Apr 11, 2021
I am looking at the players in those years, not the best version of them. Our past depth just tends to get undervalued. Hyman was already playing at a 60 point pace in 2019-2020. Compared to what Knies has shown so far, Hyman was better offensively, better defensively, and already one of our top PKers. Can Knies get there in time? Absolutely. But I think it's a stretch to say that that is the expected impact we'll get from Knies this year. That would take some of that "meaningful advancement in our youth" that I was talking about.
Sure and maybe I am accelerating Knies' development curve a bit, but I don't think 25 and 50 is a big leap if he stays on the top line. I had Hyman better than him, just not by so much. I am a big Knies fan.

I am not diminishing how good guys in those teams were, I just think this team is "somewhere near" those teams

TheBeastCoast

Mar 23, 2011
Dartmouth,NS
It’s funny that we are debating which teams in the Matthews era have been the best when by the results they have all been crap. First round losses abound. This fact is beyond debate…..it’s real. We can throw all the excuses we want but they have been playoff failures
Do you think this is news to everyone or something? We all watched them lose the series too lmao

therealkoho

Him/Leaf/fan
Jul 10, 2009
the Prior
Pat Quinn is a guy I really respect. He was just a kid from the East end of Hamilton who had more try in his little finger than almost anybody else who's ever played in the league. A guy who while playing in the NHL finished a degree in economics and finally found time to get his JD(law degree) a little bit later down the line.

Big Irish won a couple of Memorial Cups, he won a couple of Jack Adam's awards. I guess the point I'm trying to make is he knew a little bit about hockey. One of the things he believed is something that Burkie also took to heart as have a few others in the hockey business, and that is in most cases a young defenceman needs at least 300 NHL games under his belt to fully blossom.

As of the start of this season Liljegren has appeared in 196 NHL games. I don't think anyone should write him off just yet.

Last edited:

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
That is what I think may happen; there was chatter in the summer that may not have received a QO.

To be clear, I'm still a fan of his, and I would only move him if something interesting is coming back. But just reading the way camp is going, at least in Berube's eyes, he may be surplus to requirements.

But why would you waive Liljegren when you can waive Kampf?

Either frees up the same Cap space.

Unless you think teams would claim Rifai and immediately place him on their NHL roster? My guess real NHL defenders will be waived once teams work down to the Cap Ceiling.

Last edited:
Reactions: Skullz

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
But why would you waive Liljegren when you can waive Kampf?

Either frees up the same Cap space.

Unless you think teams would claim Rifai and immediately place him on their NHL roster? My guess real NHL defenders will be waived once teams work down to the Cap Ceiling.
Safe to say they aren't going to waive Liljgren or Kampf.
They may not be needed here any longer but they'll be teams that could use both/either.

DragoGrizzly

Oct 2, 2019
I only watched 2 preseason games.

Can someone give me an overview of how some of our top prospects did so far?
Really hasn’t been a good preseason for prospect watching. Some of our top prospects (Minten and Danford) injured so not playing. Niemela, who I thought looked pretty good in prospect tournament, hasn’t played a game. Rifai has been given most opportunity and he’s been steady and not afraid to mix it up, pushed himself into #7 d-man/call up role. Cowan has been alright, showed some flashes of his potential but has been largely ineffective, kind of convincing most people that he needs another year in junior (ideally AHL but not possible). Grebenkin has been solid too and the coach likes him but he also looks like he needs more time playing in North American minor pros, especially needs to learn how to play in defensive systems and figure out his spots, so he’s Marlies bound I’d guess.

therealkoho

Him/Leaf/fan
Jul 10, 2009
the Prior
Well that’s pretty obvious , great revelation
There are actually real live humans, fans of the game of hockey who have actually suggested that the Leafs just give these guys away on waivers. Sometimes knowing what someone is responding to will lead to less snark and more constructive conversation.

Reactions: ACC1224

Racer88

Sep 29, 2020
There are actually real live humans, fans of the game of hockey who have actually suggested that the Leafs just give these guys away on waivers. Sometimes knowing what someone is responding to will lead to less snark and more constructive conversation.
I know that. I was just giving him some of his own medicine. There are some here that if you disagree with them or simply have a different outlook they get snarky and some of them do not respond directly they use a third poster as a proxy..
He was using his proxy to respond to a comment that I thought it was funny there here we are arguing about which version of what is essentially a losing team was the better losing team

therealkoho

Him/Leaf/fan
Jul 10, 2009
the Prior
I only watched 2 preseason games.

Can someone give me an overview of how some of our top prospects did so far?

Cowan has been tentative for some reason
and needs to let the tiger out of the cage. I think he's playing against Detroit so he needs to do it now if he wants to get the extra 9 games.

Marshall Rifai is giving it a real good effort and could take the 7th d spot. A few of the other young D have looked ok but nowhere near ready for primetime

Minten has a high ankle sprain, but looked very good prior to the injury.

Knies needs to be extended immediately he has looked great, he has all the tools to make him a premiere power forward.

therealkoho

Him/Leaf/fan
Jul 10, 2009
the Prior
I know that. I was just giving him some of his own medicine. There are some here that if you disagree with them or simply have a different outlook they get snarky and some of them do not respond directly they use a third poster as a proxy..
He was using his proxy to respond to a comment that I thought it was funny there here we are arguing about which version of what is essentially a losing team was the better losing team

Living in the past and "resuffering" past failures is the most useless of exercises, but it seems to be what a lot of people do here. Almost as if the Leafs lost/failed specifically to spite them personally somehow.

It's like when "noodles" says something like "you have to see what it looks like optically" trying to sound really smart. I just know he does it because saying stupid stuff like that drives me around the bend.;)

Skullz

Jul 5, 2013
The guy who should be waived is Reaves. Will save on the cap, and he won't be claimed. Bring him up to play from time to time.

Reactions: ACC1224

Jojalu

Feb 22, 2019
I’m pretty sure I didn’t announce that it was news. Just commenting on multiple pages of which losing team was better then the other losing team
A lot have really good teams have lost. None quite as spectacular as the Leafs albiet, but they have had great teams over the past few years that just can't find the a way or the will to win

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Guessing we'll get some cuts after this one tonight and have the roster pretty much set by Saturday?

Looks like it's already started.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad