Player Discussion Jeremy Swayman: VII- Swayman's agent basically calls Cam a liar

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

How does this saga end?

• Bridge deal

Votes: 50 22.4%
  • Long term deal

Votes: 62 27.8%
  • Trade

Votes: 111 49.8%

• Total voters

smithformeragent

Sep 22, 2005
Milford, NH
@Gee Wally

We have numerous deletions and more in here. We know tension and emotions are high.
But you folks must simply stop taking personal shots at each. Stay to topic.

If not we will be left with no choice other than adding thread bans.

BOSTON — Boston Bruins president Cam Neely suggested Monday that the team has made an eight-year offer to unsigned restricted free agent goaltender Jeremy Swayman at $8 million annually.

“I don’t want to get into the weeds with what his ask is,” Neely said at a news conference at TD Garden. “But I know that I have 64 million reasons why I’d be playing right now.”

Neely did not disclose what Swayman’s ask has been but said he was surprised by it.

So far, Swayman is holding firm to his demand. It aligns with his personality of not backing down, especially following his uncomfortable 2023 arbitration hearing. According to Neely, Swayman wants to set a new market for goalies, specifically ones under team control.

“What his ask is and what we believe his comp group is,” Neely said, “are two different things.”

General manager Don Sweeney said he remains in contact with Lewis Gross, Swayman’s agent. The Bruins are not interested in trading Swayman.

“Ultimately, we’re a better team, as I’ve said all along, if Jeremy is part of our hockey club,” Sweeney said. “That’s my intention. That’s my wish. I’ll continue to work to do that. I think Jeremy and the team are both hurt in this regard. That’s what I’ll do. I’ll continue to work hard to find a settling point.”

With only three preseason games left, it is likely Swayman will miss regular-season time, even if an agreement is pending. Coach Jim Montgomery designated Joonas Korpisalo as his goalie for the regular-season opener against the Florida Panthers on Oct. 8, regardless of Swayman’s situation. The Bruins have two full practices remaining in camp.

“Where we are in camp right now, with how well camp has gone and how well Korpisalo has done,” Montgomery said, “right now, he’s going to be our Game 1 starter.”

How good is the offer?​

Swayman would become the fifth-highest-paid goalie in the NHL under the Bruins’ offer, behind Sergei Bobrovsky, Andrei Vasilevskiy, Connor Hellebuyck and Ilya Sorokin. Only Vasilevskiy ($9.5 million average annual value) signed his contract as a pending restricted free agent. The others were due to become unrestricted.

It is a significant payday for Swayman, considering he has never been a regular-season No. 1 goalie.

Last edited:
Reactions: nORRis8 and BMC

SwayHeyKid

Mar 14, 2022

Wild stuff from this kid.

I mean can you even count the first two offers? They are horrible. 7.5 and 9.5. Settle at 8.5 move on. If neither side wants to do that then Swayman should request a trade and see what he can get somewhere else.

I’d go as far as 8.5 today to end this. I would have been fine with 9 or a little more before it got ugly, but things have changed for me. I'd hate to see him traded but I can't help but wonder if that's where this is headed. Either way lets get on with whatever the outcome is here.
yeah agreed 100%.

Reactions: drkfluff

mjhfb

Easier from up here
Dec 19, 2016
A thousand miles from nowhere
If Swayman signs right now, he's not going to be 100% ready for the season. It might take him 10-20 games before he gets up to speed. This holdup is not doing anyone favors.
True. I'm curious how he handles his return. I'm not so much concerned with the physical aspect as much as the mental part, depending how all this unfolds and who is eventually determined the "bad guy". Goaltending is 90% mental and he'll need his head screwed on straight when returning to win people over and show them that all this was worth it.

Grimey

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 4, 2017
I mean can you even count the first two offers? They are horrible. 7.5 and 9.5. Settle at 8.5 move on. If neither side wants to do that then Swayman should request a trade and see what he can get somewhere else.

yeah agreed 100%.
They (team) always starts low and players/agents start high. Yes you should count the first two. It’s a starting point.

Also I would laugh my ass off if he gets traded to a team that only offers him 4x$6.2M and refuses to budge.

• Haha
Reactions: drkfluff and lopey

McGarnagle

Yes.
Aug 5, 2017
Have there been any examples of negotiations this acrimonious that ended up working out for everyone in the end? Where the player and team come to an agreement and performance on the ice lives up to the contact?

Feels like there's going to be a dark cloud even if they end up signing a deal. Like the first with have Swayman has, the fans will be on him because of the contract, or if it comes to the deadline and we can't add a depth piece we need because we were a quarter-million too high on the cap, there will be snark.

RoccoF14

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 1, 2016
Chicago, IL
They (team) always starts low and players/agents start high. Yes you should count the first two. It’s a starting point.

Also I would laugh my ass off if he gets traded to a team that only offers him 4x$6.2M and refuses to budge.
I could forsee a scenario where we traded him and he accepted a lower offer from the new team. Not significantly lower, but slightly lower just to stick it to our Front Office.

Sadly, I think emotions have soured to this point.

RoccoF14

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 1, 2016
Chicago, IL
True. I'm curious how he handles his return. I'm not so much concerned with the physical aspect as much as the mental part, depending how all this unfolds and who is eventually determined the "bad guy". Goaltending is 90% mental and he'll need his head screwed on straight when returning to win people over and show them that all this was worth it.
I'm 100% expecting some type of minor muscle injury once he returns. Groin, hip flexor....whatever. Flexibility is such a huge part of that position and I just don't think his body will be game ready coming back cold...

Grimey

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 4, 2017
I could forsee a scenario where we traded him and he accepted a lower offer from the new team. Not significantly lower, but slightly lower just to stick it to our Front Office.

I don’t know. I can’t see a guy holding out for close to $72M taking less, over-emotional or not.

SwayHeyKid

Mar 14, 2022

It really isn't. They are offering Hellebuyck money from SIX seasons ago. It's a lame attempt to try to keep the final number down,

Seems like both have drawn the line in the sand over 500k. Can't see Swayman coming down 12 mil over the life of the deal if he truly feels he is worth 9.5 mil. Both parties in three or four months have moved 500k (not counting the ridiculous first two offers) EF raised a good point if Swayman would even be happy playing at 8-8.5 mil, and if you don't think so you move him.

Reactions: drkfluff

Grimey

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 4, 2017
It really isn't. They are offering Hellebuyck money from SIX seasons ago. It's a lame attempt to try to keep the final number down,

Seems like both have drawn the line in the sand over 500k. Can't see Swayman coming down 12 mil over the life of the deal if he truly feels he is worth 9.5 mil. Both parties in three or four months have moved 500k (not counting the ridiculous first two offers) EF raised a good point if Swayman would even be happy playing at 8-8.5 mil, and if you don't think so you move him.
Yes or no question: were the following offers higher than the first two?

SwayHeyKid

Mar 14, 2022

one million percent. I could easily see him taking 4/30 say from someone. Seems like Swayman's worth to himself is more than they are willing to pay. It also seems like Swayman is finally important to the Bruins coming up to 8.

Bruins4Lifer

Jun 28, 2006
Regina, SK
Wonder if the Bruins just sit tight on the 8x $8M offer and see how it goes.
It might have to go all the way to Dec 1, but Swayman eventually signs a deal they have in front of him. Swayman not playing in the NHL this year is the biggest risk either side faces here, IMO.

goldenblack

Apr 15, 2024
It might have to go all the way to Dec 1, but Swayman eventually signs a deal they have in front of him. Swayman not playing in the NHL this year is the biggest risk either side faces here, IMO.

What's crazy is a human feeling 8x8 was a loss, in this spot. Specially when it's only a 1.5M move off a number that was total lunacy to begin with.

Ego is a real son of a

SwayHeyKid

Mar 14, 2022
I believe if push comes to shove and he can't work out an offer sheet he will take 8/64 on November 30th..

Reactions: RoccoF14

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home
Ullmark & Shesterkin watching all this.

IMG_1209.gif

Reactions: lopey and easton117

SwayHeyKid

Mar 14, 2022

Really seems like it right? I'm think if he had an offers he would have signed them by now with someone else. Could also see him signing something for less and the Bruins reading between the lines he doesn't want to be there and deal him. A team could give him 9 and the comp is only a 1-2-3. Crazy stuff

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad