Player Discussion Jeremy Swayman: VII- Swayman's agent basically calls Cam a liar

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

How does this saga end?

• Bridge deal

Votes: 50 22.3%
  • Long term deal

Votes: 62 27.7%
  • Trade

Votes: 112 50.0%

• Total voters

smithformeragent

Sep 22, 2005
Milford, NH
@Gee Wally

We have numerous deletions and more in here. We know tension and emotions are high.
But you folks must simply stop taking personal shots at each. Stay to topic.

If not we will be left with no choice other than adding thread bans.

BOSTON — Boston Bruins president Cam Neely suggested Monday that the team has made an eight-year offer to unsigned restricted free agent goaltender Jeremy Swayman at $8 million annually.

“I don’t want to get into the weeds with what his ask is,” Neely said at a news conference at TD Garden. “But I know that I have 64 million reasons why I’d be playing right now.”

Neely did not disclose what Swayman’s ask has been but said he was surprised by it.

So far, Swayman is holding firm to his demand. It aligns with his personality of not backing down, especially following his uncomfortable 2023 arbitration hearing. According to Neely, Swayman wants to set a new market for goalies, specifically ones under team control.

“What his ask is and what we believe his comp group is,” Neely said, “are two different things.”

General manager Don Sweeney said he remains in contact with Lewis Gross, Swayman’s agent. The Bruins are not interested in trading Swayman.

“Ultimately, we’re a better team, as I’ve said all along, if Jeremy is part of our hockey club,” Sweeney said. “That’s my intention. That’s my wish. I’ll continue to work to do that. I think Jeremy and the team are both hurt in this regard. That’s what I’ll do. I’ll continue to work hard to find a settling point.”

With only three preseason games left, it is likely Swayman will miss regular-season time, even if an agreement is pending. Coach Jim Montgomery designated Joonas Korpisalo as his goalie for the regular-season opener against the Florida Panthers on Oct. 8, regardless of Swayman’s situation. The Bruins have two full practices remaining in camp.

“Where we are in camp right now, with how well camp has gone and how well Korpisalo has done,” Montgomery said, “right now, he’s going to be our Game 1 starter.”

How good is the offer?​

Swayman would become the fifth-highest-paid goalie in the NHL under the Bruins’ offer, behind Sergei Bobrovsky, Andrei Vasilevskiy, Connor Hellebuyck and Ilya Sorokin. Only Vasilevskiy ($9.5 million average annual value) signed his contract as a pending restricted free agent. The others were due to become unrestricted.

It is a significant payday for Swayman, considering he has never been a regular-season No. 1 goalie.

Last edited:
Reactions: nORRis8 and BMC

JCRO

At least I'm safe inside my mind
Sponsor
Mar 8, 2011

Wild stuff from this kid.

Bruins have moved from 6.25* to 8...

6.25* mil, IMO, when doing a shorter deal is them paying for the current body of work. Doesn't really work IMO when you push it to a full 8 years.

8 mil is paying for what you think the player can be and IMO is more than fair..

Where did Sways camp start and what have they come down to? Gross' comments tell me its not close to 8 mil..

Last edited:

Grimey

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 4, 2017
yes of course. Just like if Swayman started at 10.5 or 11 that would be equally as ridiculous as sub 7.
That’s my point - it’s a starting point, same with Swayman’s original ask. I’m not saying he should sign for that low (or that the Bruins should immediately cave to Swayman’s demand). The starting points are a crucial step in the negotiation process so they obviously do count.

SwayHeyKid

Mar 14, 2022
Bruins have moved from 6.4 to 8...

6.4 mil, IMO, when doing a shorter deal is them paying for the current body of work. Doesn't really work IMO when you push it to a full 8 years.

8 mil is paying for what you think the player can be and IMO is more than fair..

Where did Sways camp start and what have they come down to? Gross' comments tell me its not close to 8 mil..
supposedly started at 9.5

Absurdity

light switch connoisseur
Jul 6, 2012
I think we will only see movement in this negotiation if Shesterkin is extended before the season starts.

Lobster57

Nov 22, 2006
Victoria, BC
Really seems like it right? I'm think if he had an offers he would have signed them by now with someone else. Could also see him signing something for less and the Bruins reading between the lines he doesn't want to be there and deal him. A team could give him 9 and the comp is only a 1-2-3. Crazy stuff
the comp for 9/yr is only a 1-2-3 if the contract is 5 years or less. Offer sheets for longer than 5 years have the compensation based on the total value divided by 5 years, even if it's 7 or 8, so 9Mx8yrs has 4 1sts as the compensation

KillerMillerTime

Jun 30, 2019
Honestly just let him sit out and miss the season if that’s true, don’t even try to trade him. This whole situation is ridiculous.
Lol, if its true that Boston offered him 6.5M\8 then you have to think if you're Swayman you're justified in thinking they want to lift 8 million ####ing dollars from my wallet, because no one believes 6.5\8 is a good faith offer. So you take their arb offer and if true 6.5M\8, yeah I can see Swayman could be pissed. How much money did he put in the Bruins coffers last May?

HHHH

Feb 15, 2010
I want Swayman back in Boston signed to a long term deal, and I was feeling good about this getting done up to a few weeks ago. But, once regular season games are missed I think it would be difficult for the two sides to mend fences, and I think he will lose a lot of support from the fanbase that has been built up throughout his career in Boston.

I love confidence in a goalie, and Sway is certainly betting on himself now but if this is not resolved in the next few days it might be impossible to mend fences.

Not that I want to see it happen, but could he play in the KHL this season as an RFA? What kind of salary could he make there...would it be worth it?

Reactions: Ladyfan

danpantz

Mar 31, 2013
Who’s more credible, friedman or Seravalli?

Because friedman says the 64 million offer was real and Seravalli says it was 62 mil and Cam was lying about 64 mil.

Reactions: lopey

YukonCornelius

Apr 13, 2018
Lol, if its true that Boston offered him 6.5M\8 then you have to think if you're Swayman you're justified in thinking they want to lift 8 million ####ing dollars from my wallet, because no one believes 6.5\8 is a good faith offer. So you take their arb offer and if true 6.5M\8, yeah I can see Swayman could be pissed. How much money did he put in the Bruins coffers last May?
Boston offering 6.5x8 is a lot more reasonable and less offensive than Swayman looking for 10+ at this stage in his career.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad