Player Discussion Jeremy Swayman: VII- Management Speaks

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

How does this saga end?

• Bridge deal

Votes: 37 24.2%
  • Long term deal

Votes: 44 28.8%
  • Trade

Votes: 72 47.1%

• Total voters

JCRO

At least I'm safe inside my mind
Sponsor
Mar 8, 2011
What makes you have this opinion? I mean sure, anything could happen, but why is this your most likely scenario?
Because I can’t see Neely lying about this number. Referring back to my post, the bruins have a reputation to lose if they really did lie about it: What players would want to come here if that’s the kind of front office the bruins have?

Sure the agent also has a rep to lose. But it currently doesn’t stand as a very good one from previous dealings with players and teams.

Lastly, I really want to believe Sway didn’t know this existed. That it hasn’t gone this far. Call me gullible idc lol. 8 x 8 is a mark that, IMO, is the Bruins paying for what the player can be and not what he currently is.

UncleRico

May 8, 2017
If Neely was lying wouldn't it be just as easy for Gross to show evidence? Could he not show the last contract offer sent to him or even the 3 week gap of no calls from the Bruins front office that he leaked to Spittin Chiclets?

Well he could show the last contract offer, but he could also just lie and say that the last contract offer was the only offer. Unless he was forced to hand over his email and all documents regarding this.

Much easier for Neely to prove something was sent/offered as it would be documented.

PatriceBergeronFan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 15, 2011
USA
We know nothing about specific contract talks, but we should all know business negotiations can be ruthless (as we've seen today now from both sides), there are no rules in this, and if all this negotiation was a battle of goalie comparables like two posters going at each other on HF Boards, why has this taken so long to resolve? I mean seriously, there are only 60-odd goalies in the league and only I'd say 10-15 are realistic comparables. How long does it take for both sides to exhaust their list of comparables if all they can point to are goaltenders? They could of hashed this out in a week if that was the case.

Bottom line is Sweeney sent a message to the Swayman camp back in July when he decided to prioritize the Lindholm and Zadorov contracts and leaving what was left over for Swayman. The message was sent, we value these players from outside the organization more than you. That will ultimately prove to be a major mistake and flies in the face of pro sports management 101. Take care of your stars and the rest will fall into place. Prioritize mid-tier players over your stars and this will be the sort of circus you can expect. Right out of the Harry Sinden/Mike O'Connell playbook.

It's like when in the fall of 2020, they extended Kevan Miller and Chara was still unsigned. We knew right away that was odd, that they took care of Miller before Chara. And that is exactly how it played out.

The hockey world is laughing at the Bruins right now because it's clear as day now how this all ends. Some other organization will get themselves arguably the best young goalie on the planet for a nickel and two quarters.

Imagine the egg on Sweeney's face in April when he trades Swayman within the Eastern conference and both Swayman and Ullmark are leading their teams into the playoffs while the Bruins are going golfing.

To be fair I believe it is Debrusk who lost out. The question will be in the end was Zadorov the need or Debrusk in the top 6. They definitely left Swayman a reasonable amount of cap space.

In the end if Swayman signs we all move past this in days and let the agent be the scapegoat for any lingering feelings.

Greek_physique

Caron - Legit SNIPER
Jul 9, 2004
Toronto, Ont
To be fair I believe it is Debrusk who lost out. The question will be in the end was Zadorov the need or Debrusk in the top 6. They definitely left Swayman a reasonable amount of cap space.

Agreed.

Boston left enough cap space to sign Sway..if they went out and filled other needs, while only having $5mill for Sway after FA. then I'd have an issue with how they treated him.

IMO, I just don't see Neely having to lie in this situation....no need for this to have dragged out this far.

Reactions: PatriceBergeronFan

LiseL

Sponsor
Sep 25, 2023
Anything over $8.5M puts him above Hellebuyck and $9.5M gets him to Vasilevskiy. Yea, a bit of inflation. But - again, as an RFA - still a huge leap given his career, especially when you look at Saros and Sorokin.

You are campaigning for Swayman to completely upend how goalies are treated while at the same time wanting to ignore his RFA status. And that’s fine. But this is a completely new dynamic you’re proposing - and may quite possibly be where the Swayman camp is pushing.

How many teams do you think would come to the table to negotiate a trade if they first had to agree to 8x$9.5M with Swayman? Or even $9M?
Very few, and all bottom-feeders. As an outsider looking in, I find it strange that in the same year, Shesterkin wants to reset the UFA goalie market: Swayman wants to reset the RFA goalie market. They don't have the same agent so are they in cahoots are is it all coincidence?

Out of the top 5 goalies being paid, only 2 have won the cup (Vasi, Bob) but they also had good teams behind them. The other winners had average to slightly over-average goaltending (Aiden Hill, Binnington, Keumper). I think most GMs will take their chances with the average to slightly over-average goalie to build a better roster IMO. The only time I remember a goalie carrying a team on his back to win the cup was Patrick Roy with the 93 Canadiens.

Based on the press conference, it doesn't sound like the Bruins will cave. Wonder if NYR will next summer?

Reactions: BMC

Mad-Marcus

Apr 26, 2002
Seacoast, NH
I believe both sides are being disingenuous. Cam has proved to be in over his head as upper management. But I never trust a word out of an agents mouth. They're still lawyers and if their lips are moving............... Boras, Rosenhaus, this guy Gross, POS's

Reactions: LiseL and BMC

BTO

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 20, 2019
The Big Smoke (unfortunately)
There’s a massive difference between not ruining and setting the market.

Just like there’s a massive difference between 8 and 9.5 million. But, he never said numbers, he just said not ruin. That’s what I know for certain.
Sure, but is there a massive difference between 9.5 and 9.5? Who cares if 9.5 is setting the market or not ruining it?

I certainly see your point, and don’t necessarily disagree with it, but the actual number is really what matters and ultimately does make the difference one of semantics.

BlackFrancis

Athletic Supporter Patch Partner
Dec 14, 2013
Lewis Gross is and always will be a complete jackass. 2nd only to Allan Walsh league wide.

This is getting weird now. Needs to be resolved one way or the other before the season starts or we're into big distraction to the team territory.
Bet you don't have a Scott Boras body pillow like Lewie.

Loser.

NeelyDan

Spot-Picker
Sponsor
Jun 28, 2010
Dundas, Ontario
I remember when I was younger I was a few years removed from competitive hockey - my role was something I’ve alluded to previously and it wasn’t to put pucks in the net (tho, dammit, I popped 88 my final year).

Anyway - the only place to go after junior was the local beer leagues. Some are decently competitive with some former pros, etc. lots of European, ECHL, etc.

Including tough guys - this one night the buzz in the arena is this kid Ryan Oatway was just released from his club where he was a fairly well known scrapper and was suiting up in the beer league starting that night. We were the opposing team.

Instantly I was dealing with guys on my team who wanted me to ask him for one because I was known in my own circles as a guy who could hold his own - side note, if you’re ever in that unique situation don’t encourage guys - can’t speak for all but man I hated it. Fighting is scary.

Buuuuuuut, sometimes my heart gets the better of my brain. Me and Ryan are out there for our first shift together and I felt overcome by the energy of it all - blurted out “you’re giving me one” without thinking it through.

I survived it - in fact, I buckled his knees (which made him….smile, yikes) - but my mouth really got me into trouble because my control was lacking in the moment.

The point? Neely’s response today made me feel things similar to that fateful day early in my beer league days.

I really hope I’m wrong.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad