Player Discussion Jeremy Swayman: VII- Management Speaks

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

How does this saga end?

• Bridge deal

Votes: 38 24.5%
  • Long term deal

Votes: 44 28.4%
  • Trade

Votes: 73 47.1%

• Total voters

FrankerC

Jun 24, 2016
Lewiston, Maine
If Swayman and his agent are content with a 64 million dollar deal aren’t the Bruins kind of locked into it now even if Neely was lying ( don’t think he was ) ? Why not just stop all this nonsense and sign tomorrow?
If we don't see a 8x8 deal signed by the weekend, then we know Swayman thinks he should be paid more.

UncleRico

May 8, 2017
He's obviously lying no matter the specifics. The Bruins especially Sweeney are no saints but in this it seems clear. This is all too familiar in MLB. Agents egos are inflated.

If Gross is intentionally lying and not disclosing contracts to swayman, then that is grounds to having your license revoked.

I highly highly doubt Gross is going to throw his career away on Swayman.

If true, the bruins should immediately report it and provide evidence that a contract was offered. If it was offered there is some form of written communication to back it up.

SPLBRUIN

Mar 21, 2010
I don't think for a second that Sweeney intends to trade Swayman despite the uproar, that would be a last resort option. Cooler heads will prevail and Swayman will settle for 8x8 or slightly more, maybe $8.2 mil/year thereby saving face for Swayman.

FrankerC

Jun 24, 2016
Lewiston, Maine
If Gross is intentionally lying and not disclosing contracts to swayman, then that is grounds to having your license revoked.

I highly highly doubt Gross is going to throw his career away on Swayman.

If true, the bruins should immediately report it and provide evidence that a contract was offered. If it was offered there is some form of written communication to back it up.
Sports agents laws never get enforced. Most that would happen is Swayman would get rid of Gross.

Reactions: BTO

Over the volcano

Mar 10, 2006
Watertown
I said in an earlier post I see a few true comparables for Swayman. Oettinger, Shesterkin, and when healthy, Demko.

Problem is, we don't know what their next contract is like. If we did, I think the picture here is much clearer.
We do know what their RFA contracts were though. Adjust those for the rising cap and it looks like 2-5 years at well under 7/per

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home
IMG_1324.jpeg

JCRO

At least I'm safe inside my mind
Sponsor
Mar 8, 2011
The amount of people who think Gross would risk his Agents license and therefore his entire career by intentionally not disclosing a contract to swayman is insane.

Fandom is a hell of a drug.
And Neely doesn’t have a job to lose? The bruins front office don’t have a reputation to lose?

Players would not want to sign/resign here if that’s how they conduct business.

Sorry but I think it’s more plausible either the agent is flat out lying or stretching the truth to fit his narrative/make his nut.

LiseL

Sponsor
Sep 25, 2023
Here's the thing though.....Swayman really hasn't said anything about negotiations. If you're referring to his podcast appearance, he didn't divulge anything of detail. It was more about how he was more prepared for negotiations this time.

I mean I don't put anything past the media. They care more about being the first to report something and generating clicks and views. They don't care if its 100% true or not. For all we know the source of the info is someone who knows someone who knows Gross. Its a game of telephone where Gross could have said things with the Bruins are moving slower than he'd like and 2-3 people later that wording turns into "Swayman & his agent haven't heard from the Bruins in 3 weeks"
I don't know. Sens player Shane Pinto also has Gross as an agent. Over the summer while Pinto was negotiating a new contract, rumours were flying around that there could be offer sheets in play. I suspect those rumours were started by Gross. He always seems to be in the mix when this kind of thing happens Ismoke--fire).

Nothingbutglass

Sep 28, 2017
I would imagine the most likely scenario is that there was a miscommunication between Neely and Sweeney.

Not saying it’s impossible Gross is withholding a contract offer. It’s just extremely unlikely.
A miscommunication before a press conference that might impact a $64 million outlay? Highly doubtful. Judging from fallout, logical minds would think it was calculated. But sure, Gross is doing a great job.

Reactions: Bodit9

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
I have a pretty long history in the business world and just because you want to compare two things that have nothing to do with one another doesn’t mean the other side will listen. I understand how comps work and its been part of my daily job for over 20 years.

Once again if you want to believe your feelings matter in negotiations, the go right ahead. Im not that naive.

Feelings and business have about as much comp value as comparing 25 year old RFA goalies with 3 years of experience who you control if they play or not over the next two years to 29 year old forwards with 11 years experience that you have to bid against other teams to obtain.

One of these things is not like the others

Ok you feel all that matters are goalie comparables. If that is the case, why is it taking this long? Riddle me this, considering your many years in business. How many man-hours does it take to run through all the goalie comparables in this situation? Because last time I checked, there aren't exactly thousands of comparables out there to battle over. Every comparable notable was brought up here on a daily basis.

From a team perspective, yup, feelings don't matter as long as you are fine with all possible outcomes. If the Bruins are fine with this not working out and trading him elsewhere, than make it all about business.

For professional athletes, many with thin skin and fragile egos, yeah, it does matter. We don't see it as often in pro hockey, but we've seen many a pro athlete and team relationship go sideways because the athlete simply felt his value wasn't being respected by the team. Based off his own comments, Swayman comes across like an athlete with a bit of a thin skin. Just my opinion. This is a negotiation, it's also an exercise in managing people and egos. You can say it's just business, that's fine, but hard feelings can linger, we are seeing it now. Part of the issue started last summer with the arbitration.

It's of calling it a comp, let's call the Lindholm deal a point of contention. The message it sends to Swayman. Because he can look up Lindholm's stats the past two seasons and say to himself "what the &^%^". "You rolled out the red carpet for this guy but me you draw a hard line in the sand"? It's not like they went out and signed Sidney Crosby here. I think he has a legit beef if the true offer was 8 x 8.

SwayHeyKid

Mar 14, 2022
And Neely doesn’t have a job to lose? The bruins front office don’t have a reputation to lose?

Players would not want to sign/resign here if that’s how they conduct business.

Sorry but I think it’s more plausible either the agent is flat out lying or stretching the truth to fit his narrative/make his nut.
Do you really think Swayman would let his agent lie through his teeth like that?

Scotto74

taking a break
Oct 7, 2005
Kingston, MA
I said in an earlier post I see a few true comparables for Swayman. Oettinger, Shesterkin, and when healthy, Demko.

Problem is, we don't know what their next contract is like. If we did, I think the picture here is much clearer.
Wait now i am confused. You say true comparables and name 4 goalies?????? Why not add the bruins positional players to that list???? Or is it that true comps are goalie to goalie?????

Very interesting after 5 hours of telling me thats not how comps works and i am wrong to go and list exactly how i said comps work.

After this flip flop i am done with you

Next

UncleRico

May 8, 2017
A miscommunication before a press conference that might impact a $64 million outlay? Highly doubtful. Judging from fallout, logical minds would think it was calculated. But sure, Gross is doing a great job.

It’s significantly more likely than Gross throwing away his entire career for illegally failing to disclose a contract

SwayHeyKid

Mar 14, 2022
Wouldnt be the first time a player didnt know what the agent was doing.
Thats how we lost Orr.
right that I get, but if that's the case, hopefully Gross loses his license.

If you’ve read my post, I’m of the very real opinion Sway may not even know what was offered by the Bruins.

Could be that the first time he’s heard 64 mil come from the bruins camp was from Neely directly.
OK gotcha, could be and if so hopefully Gross gets booted

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad