Player Discussion Jeremy Swayman: VII - As featured in Episode 3 of Amazon's "FACEOFF: Inside the NHL

How does this saga end?

• Bridge deal

Votes: 58 20.6%
  • Long term deal

Votes: 77 27.4%
  • Trade

Votes: 146 52.0%

• Total voters

smithformeragent

Sep 22, 2005
Milford, NH
One could make the argument that we're beating a dead horse here.

So be it. Discuss, if you so choose. We'll keep all the Swayman talk contained to this thread.

If you have nothing meaningful to contribute to the conversation, move along.

We will not have this devolve into thread hijacking and flaming of other posters.

@Gee Wally

We have numerous deletions and more in here. We know tension and emotions are high.
But you folks must simply stop taking personal shots at each. Stay to topic.

If not we will be left with no choice other than adding thread bans.

Last edited:

Bruins4Lifer

Jun 28, 2006
Regina, SK
But isn't the adjusted cap hit more than they accrue?
Nope. As long as we're talking about an AAV of exactly $8M (Swayman gets paid an actual amount of $64M over 8 years) which would apply to the year 2+ caps, AND the Bruins keep an average daily cap space amount >$8M until the signing, then the amount they accrue in cap space will be able to cover the adjusted/pro-rated year 1 cap hit of his contract.

Bruins4Lifer

Jun 28, 2006
Regina, SK

Agent Marty Walsh: "The pen is ALWAYS in the players' hand. THEY control when the contract is signed."

This was a really good listen/watch.

Not a big Allan Walsh guy, but he gives a lot of really good insight here:

- Gives a really good story on how the Martin Havlat contract dispute with the Sens went back in 2003. Havlat was prepared to not play at all that year and was about to fly back to Prague to skate/train right as the season was starting, until the Sens came to an agreeable compromise with him, by adding some attainable performance bonuses to his contract that would have given Havlat the number he wanted. Unfortunately not an avenue the Bruins can use with Swayman here.
- He touches on the goalie market a little, and how he believes it was/has been suppressed by the low money that Brodeur was taking years back
- Talks about his experience with very heated contract negotiations like this one, and how both sides eventually get over it.

KillerMillerTime

Jun 30, 2019
If you can't trust him over the regular season, you shouldn't trust him for the PO's. But, you do you, but you seem to be in the minority with your take. I can live with that.

I love the player, have since Maine. He'll most likely be worth 10-12 in 3-4 years, but that still is an assumption. The fact that he did go into a slump post AS Game for 6 weeks, shows it can happen. We had Linus to bail him out and get his game together down the stretch. It was during that time that he got "Michigan'd over the shortside stickside. Same side he let his worst go of the PO in, which just happened to end Boston's season.
It is not impossible that the more the league sees him, the more they figure him out. That's why goalies are great for 2 or 3 year and then slowly make their way back to the AHL or overseas.
Do I expect it?, no, not really, but an 8 year, top dollar contract, leaves a team no escape hatch in the event it happen
He is going to sign for probably $8-8.25. They just had to poison the well two years in a row and treat him like the negotiations were like buying a house or car, instead if a pillar of your team and you justify it.

You do you though.

Mad-Marcus

Apr 26, 2002
Seacoast, NH
Pillar............LOL We'll see if he even plays. God the pitchforks will come out when he has a bad game........This "IS" Boston, fair or not. If he is this thin skinned, the media will eat him alive.

And sports contract negotiations ARE usually somewhat contentious, this one just happened to be played out in the media. It's his crying about the arbitration that has me shaking my head. If he is so tough and mature, he should understand what the process is about. His agent had a critical fail by not telling what to expect and why. This guy just held his hand and said we going to be really rich.
All arbitration hearing go that way. It's the point, a contract couldn't be decided 1 on 1 so a 3rd party, who is not a fan of either needs each sides argument. Forgive my man-splaining, but Swayman should have know what was coming. He's a child in a mans body.

PlayMakers

Aug 9, 2004
Medfield, MA
Till the next midpoint?
Fair point, this isn’t a “meet in the middle“ negotiation. It’s more like a “you hurt me I’m going to hurt you “ negotiation

Nope. As long as we're talking about an AAV of exactly $8M (Swayman gets paid an actual amount of $64M over 8 years) which would apply to the year 2+ caps, AND the Bruins keep an average daily cap space amount >$8M until the signing, then the amount they accrue in cap space will be able to cover the adjusted/pro-rated year 1 cap hit of his contract.
Please show your work.

MarchysNoseKnows

Big Hat No Cattle
Feb 14, 2018
This is not true. While they accumulate space it’s less than the amount the number goes up as the days go on.

EverettMike

FIRE DON SWEENEY INTO THE SUN
Mar 7, 2009
Everett, MA
twitter.com
It's interesting, maybe even telling, a lot of pro-management/anti-Swayman posters use the word "cry" when talking about his feelings over arbitration.

Considering how he played after the fact, and how matter-of-factly he has talked about it publicly, he was not upset as in "cry" but instead was upset as in "angry."

I like when athletes get angry. It can motivate them for a lot of the reasons already discussed in here. But I understand why using words like "crying" and "baby" would seemingly strengthen an anti-Swayman POV.

Reactions: Smitty93

MarchysNoseKnows

Big Hat No Cattle
Feb 14, 2018
It's interesting, maybe even telling, a lot of pro-management/anti-Swayman posters use the word "cry" when talking about his feelings over arbitration.

Considering how he played after the fact, and how matter-of-factly he has talked about it publicly, he was not upset as in "cry" but instead was upset as in "angry."

I like when athletes get angry. It can motivate them for a lot of the reasons already discussed in here. But I understand why using words like "crying" and "baby" would seemingly strengthen an anti-Swayman POV.
Talking about it once or twice? Ok angry.

Talking about it over and over like he has and telling everyone he keeps a burn book? That’s crying.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad