Player Discussion Jeremy Swayman -V - all still silent

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

GahdenRinkRat

Bruins' Den Mother
Sponsor
Jan 12, 2008
By the Dirty Watah
Based on pretty much nothing, my prediction is this contract finally gets signed on Thanksgiving (US) weekend, making the first two months of the season really interesting for the rest of the goalie candidates and this place ripe for frequent freak outs :popcorn:

Bodit9

Sponsor
Oct 22, 2016
Upstate NY
If Gross wants revenge for the Krug contract pull and the arbitration loss and is really asking for more then McAvoy ~ even though he’s 31 I would take Connor Hellebuyck.

He’s the best goalie in the league im, played at U Lowell and remember him on Hockey East saying how much he loved the area

I’m Donny I give it a couple weeks and if nothing give it a shot

I’m team Sway but if he’s not liking the offer or hanging with the boys anymore - put Hellebuyck on this team they are favored to win it all to me
I'm convinced Sway's agent sucks and is giving him bad advice.

Number8

Oct 31, 2007
JFC it's possible to say you wouldn't give him a big contract without saying he's a bad person or a shitty goalie. There's a totally legit argument for a small bridge, not giving him huge money you don't think he's proven he's worth yet, or for ever paying any goalie big money.

But no, he's a POS and he once gave up a goal IN COLLEGE. f*** some of the comments in these threads are gross.
Actually a selfish POS, I believe.

Not sure when it happened but the “I’m a dumbshit” threshold has been breached. Some truly foolish stands being taken over last couple of days around here.

Gordoff

Formerly: Strafer
Jan 18, 2003
The Hub
Bang on

Florida held their parade in a mall parking lot - they couldn’t sell out playoff games

Bob suuuuuuuuucked a few years making $10 M and was replaced by Alex Lyyyyyohhhhn (or if you live in the North Shore ~ Lion)

Has Spencer Knight not had issues and a 3/13.5 M contract and Bob a $10 M unmovable contract he’s never ever around in 2023 and 2024 to slay the Broons

many fans make Mall store goldfish have memories like elephants or ex-wives

I see Bill Zito floating at or near the top of top GMs

IMAGINATION WORLD

Imagine Donny Hockey signing an unproductive & unmovable Bobrovsky to a long term 10 M per year contract ? And Spencer Knight to a 3 year deal $4.5 M per year deal, and what seems like once the first check cleared he had issues he could no longer play - not sure if it was alcohol or anxiety or at the intersection where they cross

so nobody knew ? Zito had no idea

But it’s Florida

In Boston I think Zito is no longer with us

I’m team Sway but I get 6 max and why even 4 discussed

He’s already blown off a bunch of yutes TWICE and the skeptical me wasn’t even buying the first

Earth to Sway and your posse if you read this - you got a lot of people who are not happy with you ~ you screw over 20 kids who have parents and paid for this in the days of social media and FB

I knew about this story day 1 because I was at one of them lol with my friends and kids so spare me the spin shit

Hopefully he signs here but I get why the Bruins are apparently at 6 years while Sway wants 8 M

6/50 I think is a great deal
He’s my choice for best young goalie

But he’s never around unless it’s on an island or playing guitar with his hat on backwards

Every Bruins event gathering where is he ?

And as an old school person raised on Cherry Bruins I don’t need to hear about taking classes and how mean they were comparing you to Vladar

Seriously if this place is stifling and run by mean people do what Necas is doing ~ get 2 years and explore the goalie world

He’s been fantastic on the ice but disappointing off it
Exactly!!

Gordoff

Formerly: Strafer
Jan 18, 2003
The Hub
It’s Sweeneys fault swayman wasnt signed to a bridge deal last year ahead of arbitration.

Bruins could not afford to give swayman a bridge deal because they didn’t have cap space due to the bergy/krejci bonus carryover impacting last years cap.

If the bruins had the $4.5 million in cap that the bergy/krejci bonuses were taking up from the previous season, then swayman is likely offered a bridge deal by the bruins.

Sweeney and company knew the moment they signed bergy/krejci to those one year bonus deals, that they wouldn’t be able to give swayman a bridge deal.
I think we have to get over Sweeney's mistakes (everyone makes them). Sweeney's also done some great things too. Swayman has to get over
having his feelings hurt last year. Bringing it up so much is juvenile.
He says it's a business but acts on emotions.
Look, I think the guy is going to be a great goaltender for decades for the B's but I also thought that about Blaine Lacher, Mike Moffat, and Jim Craig.
The tail doesn't wag the dog, no matter the how much the flea (Gross) is telling it to.

• Haha
Reactions: Pia8988 and Bodit9

frankiess

Jan 31, 2019
Actually a selfish POS, I believe.

Not sure when it happened but the “I’m a dumbshit” threshold has been breached. Some truly foolish stands being taken over last couple of days around here.
So, Swayman is selfish for wanting to get the pay that he thinks he's worth? And you're not selfish for wanting him to take what you think he's worth?

UncleRico

May 8, 2017
I think we have to get over Sweeney's mistakes (everyone makes them). Sweeney's also done some great things too. Swayman has to get over
having his feelings hurt last year. Bringing it up so much is juvenile.
He says it's a business but acts on emotions.
Look, I think the guy is going to be a great goaltender for decades for the B's but I also thought that about Blaine Lacher, Mike Moffat, and Jim Craig.
The tail doesn't wag the dog, no matter the how much the flea (Gross) is telling it to.

Sweeney is a big reason why we are currently in this situation with swayman. Why would we just dismiss it?

He chose to pay bergy/krejci and when those $4.5m in bonuses carried over to the 2023-2024 cap Sweeney knew he wouldn’t be able to offer swayman a bridge deal and that would result in swayman filing for arbitration and then ending up where they are now.

This situation was created by Sweeney two years ago.

Sure swayman needs to stop complaining about the process. However Sweeney seems incredibly unprepared for this situation for someone who at least should have known this was coming two years ago.

JAD

Old School
Sponsor
Nov 19, 2009
Florida
As a RFA Swayman in its simplest form has basically two options:
Sign the conract Boston offers
Or
Not play NHL hockey this year.

If regular season starts and any number of games in Swayman or his agent request a trade ... all Boston has to say is: "No, we are not trading you. This is the best contract we are going to offer, we suggest you sign it." And walk away and wait. December comes quickly.

My guess is once games start Swayman's desire will be to be on the ice. His competitive nature will kick in and he won't be thinking about maximum dollars.

Swayman would be a fool to throw away a season with the possibility of ruining his career. What's he going to do sign over seas play in some second rate league. Boston would still hold his NHL rights. Then what?

I don't for a second believe anybody wants this, optics on both sides would look bad both business wise and publicly. Meanwhile as fans we sit and stew expressing our displeasure and frustration at both sides over the situation.

Boston holds the cards ... just a matter of time.

Reactions: KWbruin

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005
IMHO, a 4-year deal would be a "bridge" deal for Swayman's ascendance from potential stud to stud.
He'd be 29-30yo going into his last and probably 7-8 year deal. There, if the performance warrants, he could ask for the moon.
(I realize most people think of a bridge deal as a 2 year deal)
I think the risk of the 4 year deal for Boston is that it might be a 3 year deal for them. If they can't sign an extension the summer before his 4th year they pretty much have to trade him.
He’s been fantastic on the ice but disappointing off it
Korpisalo loves kids and kittens.

MarchysNoseKnows

Big Hat No Cattle
Feb 14, 2018
Sweeney is a big reason why we are currently in this situation with swayman. Why would we just dismiss it?

He chose to pay bergy/krejci and when those $4.5m in bonuses carried over to the 2023-2024 cap Sweeney knew he wouldn’t be able to offer swayman a bridge deal and that would result in swayman filing for arbitration and then ending up where they are now.

This situation was created by Sweeney two years ago.

Sure swayman needs to stop complaining about the process. However Sweeney seems incredibly unprepared for this situation for someone who at least should have known this was coming two years ago.
You keep saying this as if you’re not literally the only person in the world who is mad Sweeney signed Bergeron.

HuskyBruinPride

Aug 1, 2011
This is really just baseless speculation, but part of my feels like Swayman is hellbent on proving himself as a true #1 now that the tandem is gone and wants to be in contention for the Vezina. I just don't imagine him wanting to let the hold out spill into the regular season and hurt his chances there. Or maybe he cares more about money and sticking it to Sweeney 🤷‍♂️

JoeIsAStud

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
As a RFA Swayman in its simplest form has basically two options:
Sign the conract Boston offers
Or
Not play NHL hockey this year.

If regular season starts and any number of games in Swayman or his agent request a trade ... all Boston has to say is: "No, we are not trading you. This is the best contract we are going to offer, we suggest you sign it." And walk away and wait. December comes quickly.

My guess is once games start Swayman's desire will be to be on the ice. His competitive nature will kick in and he won't be thinking about maximum dollars.

Swayman would be a fool to throw away a season with the possibility of ruining his career. What's he going to do sign over seas play in some second rate league. Boston would still hold his NHL rights. Then what?

I don't for a second believe anybody wants this, optics on both sides would look bad both business wise and publicly. Meanwhile as fans we sit and stew expressing our displeasure and frustration at both sides over the situation.

Boston holds the cards ... just a matter of time.

Yeah, Sway likes to talk about his business classes. The Bruins need to make sure he is very aware that if he signs after October 4th the offer has to go down, because the first year cap cost goes up.

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
Your comparables are just way off is the issue. It’s no where near the same situation

Saros, Helly and Demko all signed deals the same offseason that they had pending arbitration hearings.

Arbiters almost always split the players offer and the teams offer down the middle. There is incentives for the player to take a bridge deal because the bridge deals are usually slightly more than the AAV the arbiter is going to award them.

Swayman doesn’t have an upcoming arbitration hearing where an arbiter is going to determine his pay. So there is no incentive for swayman to sign a bridge deal like there was for Saros, Helly or Demko. Swayman is free to negotiate any contract he wants without a pending 3rd party decision.

You are comparing apples to oranges.

It’s tough because I haven’t found a single comparable to a goalie who had RFA years, but neither team elected for arbitration.

Swaymans current situation is much closer to a UFA’s than it is someone with a pending arbitration hearing.

But it’s not at all like UFA. Like not at all.

There are no offer sheets coming. No team is going to give Swayman what he wants and give up a pile of picks. He is negotiating with Boston and Boston alone. If they were not offering enough to be reasonable, sure seems like we would have seen an offersheet by now.

On December 1st, Swayman could be paid zero dollars. That’s a lot less than an arbitration payout. Neither team or player wants this to get to December 1st, just like neither likes getting to arbitration. I think you are vastly overestimating the effect that the deadline for arbitration brings vs any other deadline.

UncleRico

May 8, 2017
You keep saying this as if you’re not literally the only person in the world who is mad Sweeney signed Bergeron.

I don’t see how what you said has any relevance to my post?

Do you disagree that Bergy/krejci bonuses serverely affected swaymans chances of getting bridge deal last year?

Do you disagree that Sweeney wasn’t aware it would affect signing swayman 2 years down the road?

I fail to see how what you said has any relevance u less you are just trying to start an off topic conversation that belongs in another thread.

But it’s not at all like UFA. Like not at all.

There are no offer sheets coming. No team is going to give Swayman what he wants and give up a pile of picks. He is negotiating with Boston and Boston alone. If they were not offering enough to be reasonable, sure seems like we would have seen an offersheet by now.

On December 1st, Swayman could be paid zero dollars. That’s a lot less than an arbitration payout. Neither teams wants this to get to December 1st, just like neither team likes getting to arbitration. I think you are vastly overestimating the effect that the deadline for arbitration brings vs any other deadline.

I think you’re vastly underestimating how important arbitration process is and the benefits it has to getting players to sign bridge deals.

MarchysNoseKnows

Big Hat No Cattle
Feb 14, 2018
I don’t see how what you said has any relevance to my post?

Do you disagree that Bergy/krejci bonuses serverely affected swaymans chances of getting bridge deal last year?

Do you disagree that Sweeney wasn’t aware it would affect signing swayman 2 years down the road?

I fail to see how what you said has any relevance u less you are just trying to start an off topic conversation that belongs in another thread.
Trying to say that Sweeney made a mistake in signing Bergy and Krejci because it would make it hard to sign Swayman to a long term deal three years before UFA is laughable.

UncleRico

May 8, 2017
Trying to say that Sweeney made a mistake in signing Bergy and Krejci because it would make it hard to sign Swayman to a long term deal three years before UFA is laughable.

Well I hate to break it to you, but signing bergy/krejci caused an extra $4.5m in bonus overages last year which didn’t allow the bruins to offer swayman a bridge deal last year.

Yes I was against bergy/krejci signings because I said it wasn’t worth negatively impacting future rosters.

Fast forward two years later unfortunately that is exactly what’s happening.

All for a first round playoff loss.

Mistake might be a little much. But definitely a gamble that didn’t pay off and still hurting the team.

JoeIsAStud

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Well I hate to break it to you, but signing bergy/krejci caused an extra $4.5m in bonus overages last year which didn’t allow the bruins to offer swayman a bridge deal last year.

Yes I was against bergy/krejci signings because I said it wasn’t worth negatively impacting future rosters.

Fast forward two years later unfortunately that is exactly what’s happening.

All for a first round playoff loss.

Mistake might be a little much. But definitely a gamble that didn’t pay off and still hurting the team.

Yeah, Sweeney should have known that his team would have a rash of injuries in April that ruined the season, and shouldn't have tried to build a contender

UncleRico

May 8, 2017
Yeah, Sweeney should have known that his team would have a rash of injuries in April that ruined the season, and shouldn't have tried to build a contender

You mean the rash of injuries that had been occurring to the same players multiple years in a row and those said players were in their mid to late 30s?

Who could have ever guessed

JoeIsAStud

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
You mean the rash of injuries that had been occurring to the same said players for multiple years in a row?

Like the Vezina Goalie and the #2 defenseman. Yeah, and sure Bergy who made it through 80 games healthy but got injured in his last game in front of his family and friends. that was 100% predictable

but yes, if the Bruins had tanked the last 2 seasons they could have signed Sway to a proper bridge contract

UncleRico

May 8, 2017
Like the Vezina Goalie and the #2 defenseman. Yeah, and sure Bergy who made it through 80 games healthy but got injured in his last game in front of his family and friends. that was 100% predictable

but yes, if the Bruins had tanked the last 2 seasons they could have signed Sway to a proper bridge contract

Ahh yea the vezina goalie who has an unconfirmed injury and was already a complete dumpster fire the previous season in the playoffs.

TD Charlie

Sep 10, 2007
Yeah, Sway likes to talk about his business classes. The Bruins need to make sure he is very aware that if he signs after October 4th the offer has to go down, because the first year cap cost goes up.
On the contrary, Swaymans agent needs to make sure that Sweeney is aware that the first year cap cost goes up. The cap is a Sweeney problem, not a Swayman problem

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad