Player Discussion Jeremy Swayman -V - all still silent

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005
Correct me if I am wrong, but my understanding is that a restricted free agent cannot quash a trade deal. They have no power to do so.
Can't refuse a trade like a player with a NTC, but I imagine any team trading for Swayman wants to talk to him or his agent to see if he'd be interested in signing long term.

Reactions: GordonHowe

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005
we will see if he's that.
All I'm saying it ain't rhe end of the world to lose a Jeremy Swayman.
This ain't Shesterkin we are talking about here.
I feel like your posts are a bit at odds with each other.

Goalies don't return a lot in general. Now we have a goalie that you think isn't the end of the world if they trade him AND they are at a barganing disadvantage since it's clear there are issues between the team and him so teams know you have to deal him (if we are presuming that they are looking to trade him). With those things in mind, you aren't going to get a "great" player.

You are going to get some package of prospects/picks and a cap dump.

Reactions: nORRis8

GloveSave1

*** 15 ***
Jun 11, 2003
N.Windham, CT
Because Swayman hasn't even had a bridge deal yet. He took a 1yr ARB deal.
Pasta and McAvoy had bridge deals, with Pasta taking a criminally undervalued bridge deal and deservedly getting a top long-term 3rd contract.
I see can both sides in the Swayman issue, but Swayman is trying to bank a year or two early. imo
…and I’d totally break a lil on my stance, and give Swayman a “win” because we’re in a tight spot on the Swayman team properly leveraged that.

I’d break…TO A DEGREE.

Watching it all progress it’s clear DS is on the pay your dues side of things, and Swayman is on the I’ve already shown enough and should be paid at the long term price if you want me long term.

If DS is sticking to the 7s, and won’t go to 8 per, I’ll put the blame on him. You’ve been out maneuvered. It’s all in the game. 8 is more than he’s earned.

But if DS goes to 8, and Sway refuses to see the other side, and come off his “the caps going up, I want to be paid for down the road, 9-10” position to get a deal done…it’s on him.

Hopefully at the minimum we get a good sense at the end of this who was in the wrong. Somehow…

NDiesel

Mar 22, 2008
NWO
I have yet to see a comp for swayman that’s realistic.

Show me comps with the following criteria:

-25 year old
- all star
- 1 year arbitration deal due to team not having cap space for a bridge deal
- following year both teams don’t elect for arbitration
That's overly specific criteria, but for stats and games played, Sorokin is the best comp

Lord Ahriman

Oct 21, 2009
If Sweeney doesn't get this done it's going to be a massive failure. I don't think anyone in their right mind would trust Korpisalo as the starting goaltender.

PB37

Mr Selke
Oct 1, 2002
Maine
What trade scenarios would you like to see for Swayman if it comes down to it?

I'd like to see something around Keller and a 1st ( Bruins sending Swayman and Zacha to Arizona ).

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Newton, MA.
Heh…remember when the Isles signed Rick DePeitro to like a 20 year deal? lol. That was wild.
He's from Winthrop, where I used to live. Feel bad for the guy. Yes he has plenty of money but he never really played in the NHL.

Mad Mike strikes again.

Last edited:

Mad-Marcus

Apr 26, 2002
Seacoast, NH
Heh…remember when the Isles signed Rick DePeitro to like a 20 year deal? lol. That was wild.
Wasn't that Milbury? He's been butt hurt and anti-B's ever since they wouldn't hire him as the GM.

From CBS:
There admittedly is a lot of hindsight in this last stroll down Memory Lane for DiPietro and the Islanders, but it's still pretty amazing to look back on this contract and the events that preceded it. Heck, the only reason the Islanders were using that top pick on DiPietro was because, under the watchful eye of then-general manager Mike Milbury, they traded Roberto Luongo (along with Olli Jokinen!), previously a top-five pick and one of the best young goalies in the league, to the Florida Panthers for Oleg Kvasha and Mark Parrish.

A 15-year contract for any player at any position was a major risk, and the new CBA even eliminated contracts that go beyond eight years. For a goalie, the most unpredictable and volatile position in the league, it's complete madness.

Milbury was such an incompetent GM. Makes Chia and Sweenious look like top GMs historically.

Pia8988

May 26, 2014
What trade scenarios would you like to see for Swayman if it comes down to it?

I'd like to see something around Keller and a 1st ( Bruins sending Swayman and Zacha to Arizona ).

Id expect half that coming back

BigGoalBrad

Jun 3, 2012
Just playing along with the trade Swayman theory crowd ...

I don't want to go back to the goalie carousel of years before Thomas but teams have won cups without a franchise goaltender.

Try seattle with a return of Daccord, Wright and Nyman
Don't know if seattle would be interested as they have Philipp Grubauer for 3 more years at a 5.9 cap hit.

I'm not saying any of this is good but with our defense a goalie that can make that first save should be able to hold the fort.

The trouble with trading Swayman is the very real possibility that the team acquiring him has the same contract difficulties Boston is having and then flips him to a Bruins rival - like Montreal or worse. I would want Swayman out west somewhere.

In any event if there is a trade Boston would need a goalie of similar age or less in return and hopefully a young center and right wing. Swayman has proven NHL capability (with great potential) and Boston has need of young talent/skill key words talent/skill.

These goalies are young and still not fully NHL proven but full of potential ... possibility build a trade around one of these ? The trouble is finding a team that will dance in agreement with our needs.

Yaroslav Askarov, 22, San Jose Sharks
Jesper Wallstedt, 21, Minnesota Wild
Dustin Wolf, 23, Calgary Flames

I really don't like any of this and would just pray and hope Boston can sign Swayman to a contract both are happy with.
The pre Chara Goalie carousel has nothing to do with modern times. Everyone since him has been good and near all star level. We just added another physical monster and biggest dude in the league who’s fast hits etc on D.

Swayman cries about arbitration and then goes on a podcast giving it the large I’m a businessman talk and I’ll be setting the table for other goalies. That conduct alone justifies us running in another direction.

BigGoalBrad

Jun 3, 2012
we will see if he's that.
All I'm saying it ain't rhe end of the world to lose a Jeremy Swayman.
This ain't Shesterkin we are talking about here.
I think the situation sucks. Sway was lights out. The ink should have been dry once Ullmark was moved. But him not chomping at the bit to be the #1 win a Vezina fight for the Cup be a leader after we traded his hug buddy is enough for me to do a 180 and say F him.

I don’t trust him to not regress big time after all the drama he’s chosen to create upon himself as well.

Reactions: UConn126 and PaulD

Over the volcano

Mar 10, 2006
Watertown
For the umptieth time, Swayman chose to take it to arbitration, not the Bruins.
That's more often how it goes - it was the Bruins who could have negotiated something longer term and avoided the adversarial positioning of arbitration. Swayman's number during negotiations was 4.8mil.

They give him 4 or 5 years at 5-6 and they'd be in a good spot right now and without the bad blood of the business.

Reactions: Dr Quincy

MarchysNoseKnows

Big Hat No Cattle
Feb 14, 2018
I think the situation sucks. Sway was lights out. The ink should have been dry once Ullmark was moved. But him not chomping at the bit to be the #1 win a Vezina fight for the Cup be a leader after we traded his hug buddy is enough for me to do a 180 and say F him.

I don’t trust him to not regress big time after all the drama he’s chosen to create upon himself as well.
*champing

Reactions: BigGoalBrad

easton117

Nov 11, 2017
Hope everyone had a nice summer!

This contract has dragged out a lot longer than I thought it would.

Don’t know how it’ll end but if Swayman is really dead set on 9-10 million per the Bruins really need to think of plan B.

I like the guy. Is a good goaltender and seems to play with an attitude. No chance I give him that deal though.

Now if the Bruins are pushing something in the 5-6 range I can see why he’d be pissy. They do have a history of bridge deals before large pay days though so I can see that as their stance.

Will be interesting how it plays out for sure.

Reactions: BMC

PlayMakers

Aug 9, 2004
Medfield, MA
But why make a trade for less value than OS compensation? If Swayman wants a deal in the two firsts a second and a third OS compensation range let him go find it. I don’t see Chicago or Utah or any of these teams that have the space and need giving up multiple potential high lottery firsts.

Sure, there is a point where it gets too toxic but so often once the ink is dry everyone moves on.
If faced with the choice of not having Swayman this year or trading him for pieces that can help... that's a tough choice.

For example, a deal like Keller for Swayman with Utah. Doesn't have to be those names, it's just a suggestion for a framework. The other team doesn't have to have tons of cap space if it's a hockey trade.

WRT Chicago, they have multiple firsts so they can keep their lottery 1st and still offer a 1st in the deal. They could do an OS compensation package equivalent at $9.1m (1st, 2nd, 3rd) and still keep their own picks in the first and second rounds.

UncleRico

May 8, 2017
That's overly specific criteria, but for stats and games played, Sorokin is the best comp

True, how about just goalies that had 1 year of arbitration then the next year both the player and the team elected to not go to arbitration

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad