Player Discussion Jeremy Swayman -UPDATE- neither elect arbitration (page 16)

JoeIsAStud

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
I'm thinking he wants more $, Bruins more term

Compromise at 4 years 7.25 per

Ick, Really don't want to end up with a contract that has him hit FA in his 20s. Overpay if you must, it might hurt a bit this year, but lock him up for 8 years.

I think it will happen. I don't think Swayman has any interest in pursuing an offer sheet

shelbysdad

Nov 21, 2006
Red Hook, NY
Ick, Really don't want to end up with a contract that has him hit FA in his 20s. Overpay if you must, it might hurt a bit this year, but lock him up for 8 years.

I think it will happen. I don't think Swayman has any interest in pursuing an offer sheet
Hope that happens (8years)

BiteThisBurrows

Feb 11, 2022
“I know we don’t have the hug anymore but there’s still going to be something going on after Bruins games, I can only imagine,” Swayman said in a Cameo. “Hopefully (Korpisalo) and I are going to find something cool, and we’ll keep that tradition going. No doubt.”

“He reached out to me right away,” Korpisalo said of Swayman last week. “He texted me and I had a warm welcome to Boston. We tried to catch up for a call the last couple of days, but I think we’ll manage to do it. He seems like a great guy. Can’t wait to meet him and get to work with him.”

Is the "(Korpisalo)" in brackets because he didn't actually say his name to leave the door open in case Bussi wins the job or is Bussi feeling no love?

I had high hopes for Bussi. We will lose him at waiver time if we go with Korpisalo, which seems to be the likely case.

Chevalier du Clavier

Écrivain de ferrage
Jul 20, 2005
Is the "(Korpisalo)" in brackets because he didn't actually say his name to leave the door open in case Bussi wins the job or is Bussi feeling no love?

I had high hopes for Bussi. We will lose him at waiver time if we go with Korpisalo, which seems to be the likely case.

The parentheses are added because Swayman referred to Korpisalo in a way that might not be familiar with readers (i.e. a nickname).

the negotiator

Sponsor
Nov 2, 2012
Is there any justifiable reason why Swayman doesn't deserve the Sorokin contract (8 x 8.25)?
That was my guess over a month ago.....I am thinking Sway wants term, dollars and trade protection ...and frankly given
what he did in the playoffs
what is behind him on the Bs
and the Sorokin comparable

His sits in a position that is not unreasonable

SPV

Zoinks!
Sponsor
Feb 4, 2003
New Hampshire
hfboards.com
Is there any justifiable reason why Swayman doesn't deserve the Sorokin contract (8 x 8.25)?
Sorokin has been a full NHL starter, starting over 50 games in each of the last three years , and a Vezina finalist. Swayman has been neither. He had a good playoff run this year, but still finished 6-6 and the team got knocked out in the second round. Do we know if Swayman can play 50 plus and playoffs? Is that why Korpisalo is here, to ease the load.

I feel like arbitration would favor the team, but Swayman holds the cards right now. I’d be happy with 7 for 7. But I think it will have to be more.

Last edited:

BiteThisBurrows

Feb 11, 2022
That would be the most ever I think for a goalie with as short a resume as he has. Demko plus inflation seems more reasonable to me.
Goalies are weird. They have good years and bad years and we haven't seen what Swayman would be like over a season with a heavier workload. Saros has a solid proven resume and he got under 8 so I really don't see how Swayman deserves more than that.
7X7 is what I think he deserves. 6 would be really good for the team. It may end up being 8, but it's too much.

Reactions: Carl Hungus and SPV

BigGoalBrad

Jun 3, 2012
I don’t think this should drag out but isn’t worst case scenario something like Korpisalo Bussi with Swayman in Russia?

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
hes never played more than ~40 games in a season.

Didn't he play almost 60 last year? (56)
Sorokin has been a full NHL starter, starting over 50 games in each of the last three years , and a Vezina finalist. Swayman has been neither. He had a good playoff run this year, but still finished 6-6 and the team got knocked out in the second round. Do we know if Swayman can play 50 plus and playoffs? Is that why Korpisalo is here, to ease the load.
Korpisalo is here because they value having two quality goaltenders. That strategy pre-dates Swayman's arrival.
That would be the most ever I think for a goalie with as short a resume as he has. Demko plus inflation seems more reasonable to me.
I don't see how Demko's last contract is comparable at all. 5 year deal vs. the speculated 8 years. Demko had 81 games under his belt when he signed that deal. Swayman has played almost double that and an 8-year for him buying a lot more UFA years than Demko's did.

Reactions: Gordoff

BiteThisBurrows

Feb 11, 2022
Didn't he play almost 60 last year? (56)

Korpisalo is here because they value having two quality goaltenders. That strategy pre-dates Swayman's arrival.

I don't see how Demko's last contract is comparable at all. 5 year deal vs. the speculated 8 years. Demko had 81 games under his belt when he signed that deal. Swayman has played almost double that and an 8-year for him buying a lot more UFA years than Demko's did.
I see Demko as the floor and Saros as the ceiling. So I'm fine matching the Saros contract with the term but when you start getting up higher I question it.

I love Swayman, and signing him is the best plan, but if it's over 8 idk. Vegas won the cup with C grade goaltending. Edmonton got to the final with Stuart Skinner. I'd start to wonder if it's worth all that on the goalie rather than a star winger then. 8 million is a lot of cap money.

KrejciWinger

Nov 3, 2015
It's crazy with all this Korpi talk that Bussi hasn't gotten a chance at all, not a single game.

Is Bussi's situation that different from Swayman's back when Rask and Halak were here? The only reason Sway ever got the call was a freak injury situation.

Something about the whole situation, the Ullmark trade, etc, just seems mismanaged.

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
There is no one on this board that likes Swayman more then me

His draft year I was pounding the couch arm rest to draft him and posting about it on HF

I believe a deal all but done

However, any hardo hockey fan knows Preds goalie Juuse Saros has a longer and better resume and is as good as Swayman ~ I’d want one of these two based on age talent etc

He just signed 8/64 or $7.74 M per

I’m Swayman I get offered that I’m singing in a hot minute if I got NMC protection

All about how paid as well but the $7.74 M is bingo

I like money but it’s the bronze medal behind health & happiness

Sway Dog seems same

I’m him anything over 7 I’m all in

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
I see Demko as the floor and Saros as the ceiling. So I'm fine matching the Saros contract with the term but when you start getting up higher I question it.

I love Swayman, and signing him is the best plan, but if it's over 8 idk. Vegas won the cup with C grade goaltending. Edmonton got to the final with Stuart Skinner. I'd start to wonder if it's worth all that on the goalie rather than a star winger then. 8 million is a lot of cap money.

It's a debate that can and will likely rage on for years. Is a team better off allocating more money to skaters and less towards goaltenders?

2 of the last 4 cup finalists had "cheap" goaltenders. Florida spent over 14 million this past year on goaltending.

If we go back 3 more years, we get 3 appearances by Vasilievsky, one by Carey Price, Kuemper who wasn't expensive contract wise but cost to acquire, and a Cinderella run by our old friend Khudobin.

I don't know if there is a correct answer other than who is the goalie and who is the skater?

That being said, how cheap can you go with goalies? Has a team won riding a guy making under a million per?

Demon Eyes

Nov 29, 2014
It's a debate that can and will likely rage on for years. Is a team better off allocating more money to skaters and less towards goaltenders?

2 of the last 4 cup finalists had "cheap" goaltenders. Florida spent over 14 million this past year on goaltending.

If we go back 3 more years, we get 3 appearances by Vasilievsky, one by Carey Price, Kuemper who wasn't expensive contract wise but cost to acquire, and a Cinderella run by our old friend Khudobin.

I don't know if there is a correct answer other than who is the goalie and who is the skater?

That being said, how cheap can you go with goalies? Has a team won riding a guy making under a million per?
Matt Murray was on league minimum when he won the cup with the Pens

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad